carpet & pad

Bobby A

Looking for feed back on Carpet and pad on the Big Horn, is everyone happy with it ?? is it plush enough ?? Can you up grade to a better carpet and pad if ordering a new unit ?? Does the Landmark have the same carpet & pad as the Big Horn or is it a better one ??
I have noticed some SOB's mention in there brochures about residential carpet and rebound pad, however I have seen nothing in Hartland's Big Horn brochures about that, kinda makes me wonder, if it was a good carpet and pad they sure would of wanted it mentioned in the brochures.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The carpet in our BH is holding up quite well considering we're full time and have a dog that loves to roll around outside (allergies) to scratch her back then comes in and transfers the dirt into our carpet. We have a Dyson DC14 Animal that helps us keep it clean but I would still like to upgrade to a heavier carpet & pad. We've rented a rug doctor once and need to do it again. Amazing machines. I think both BH & LM have the same carpet. LM used to come with berber. I don't think there is any mention of upgraded carpet for any Heartland trailer. It is residential quality but lightweight.

curt

You know with dogs,grandkids,and sand around the camp ground we pulled all the carpet out and replaced with tile looking laminate flooring. It said to glue where there was a chance of water spill--so I glued it all together. I left a 1/4 inch at all walls, then put quarter round against the walls. This allows the floor to float and move in transit. We use throw rugs now and love the easy to clean floors. You should have seen the amount of sand that was under the carpet pad when we pulled it up. Now that all gets vacummed up. Curt

cjbearden

Visitor
Our LM carpet looks dirty all the time even though we use a Bissell PowerForce Bagless vacuum designed for Pet Hair (we have a black cat). That vacuum sucks up a lot of stuff but like Curt, I feel there is probably a lot of stuff under the carpet we are not getting up. The carpet is kind of berber-like and feels a little different than our former BH. At purchase we had carpet treated for spills, etc. and cleaning has been relatively easy. May have to hire the carpet cleaning guy at the Goshen Rally if he makes an appearance this year. He did a fantastic job on our BH in 2007.

Bobby A

Thanks to all for your input, I welcome all feedback, I will ask the factory about the carpet and pad when I get there this week.

jbeletti

...May have to hire the carpet cleaning guy at the Goshen Rally if he makes an appearance this year. He did a fantastic job on our BH in 2007.

CJ,

The carpet cleaning guy cannot make the rally. I contacted him a couple months ago.

If anyone plans to be in the Dallas area, I can recommend Sparkle On The Spot - 817-781-2577. Eric steam cleans carpet and hard surface flooring and did a nice job on my rig. He also washed and hand waxed the exterior. Tell him Jim from Heartland sent you :)

Jim

jbeletti

Does the Landmark have the same carpet & pad as the Big Horn or is it a better one ??

Landmark carpet is different than Bighorn. That said, the Landmark carpet is changing from what I understand. When I am in Elkhart next week, I'll try to get pictures of the new carpet.

Jim

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
CJ,

The carpet cleaning guy cannot make the rally. I contacted him a couple months ago.

If anyone plans to be in the Dallas area, I can recommend Sparkle On The Spot - 817-781-2577. Eric steam cleans carpet and hard surface flooring and did a nice job on my rig. He also washed and hand waxed the exterior. Tell him Jim from Heartland sent you :)
Jim

And, how much did that set you back? There's a guy in Corpus that is supposed to do it for a ridiculously low price.

jbeletti

And, how much did that set you back? There's a guy in Corpus that is supposed to do it for a ridiculously low price.

It was expensive but worth it. This guy does not cut corners, uses good product and takes all day to do the job (RV only). Could have got it all done for half the cost in the RGV but with this guy, I knew what I was getting. Now, if I only needed an exterior wash - yeah, go for cheap.

He charges $7 a foot for roof/exterior wash and hand waxing.

Steam cleaning all flooring is about $150. I paid out of my pocket to have my truck detailed, so with all the jobs, plus being a repeat, he cut me a deal on it all.

Expensive? Yes. Great job? Absolutely. My plan/budget is to have the unit detailed once a season (beginning) and washed several times throughout the season.

Jim

Bobby A

Was at the factory today and the pad is the same but the carpet is a little better in the LandMark than the Big Horn.

rckc228

That the only way to keep them looking new. Your rig in all the pictures always looks great.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Carpet replacing?

I wonder if anyone in the Goshen/Elkhart area does replacement carpet for trailers. I would certainly consider it while we're there during the Rally.