Bicycle hanger in storage area

slaytop

When I saw the large storage compartment of the Landmark it immediately appeared to be large enough to hold our tandem bicycle. Unfortunately, it took up so much room that little more could be added and the bike would have been buried inside and hard to get in and out.

I had a hitch receiver welded to the back of the trailer and purchased a Badger tandem bike rack but the thought of having the tandem outside in the weather still bothered us. Tandems are not cheap. We used to carry the bike inside a Suburban while towing a TT.

I realize this is a novel solution but I wanted to share it anyhow.

I took two garage door tracks and hung them from the upper beams in the storage compartment. I cut the upper section of a wooden ladder to fit across the storage compartment and inserted 4 track rollers on each side and then slid it into the tracks. I placed a couple of stops to prevent the ladder from hitting the compartment doors and to prevent it from coming out too far. I wanted to leave two rollers in the track to support it. Then I screwed some bicycle hanger hooks in appropriate locations.

To load the bicycle I first have to turn the bars 90 degrees and take off the front wheel. Then, I pull out the ladder, hook the bicycle on and add some straps to make it secure. Then slide the ladder back into the storage compartment with the bicycle underneath.

I haven't tried to travel with this arrangement as yet and I didn't try to weigh everything but I feel it is worth the time to get the bike out of the weather and more secure. I will still use the bike rack to hold the tandem on the truck if we carry it a distance while we are unhooked.

Attachments

• IMG_0539.JPG
    IMG_0539.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0541.JPG
    IMG_0541.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 59

jbeletti

slaytop,

Your hanging bike rack is quite the engineering feat. Looks very functional. Thanks for sharing.

Jim