Items I wish Heartland offered on their trailers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

RVCamper

Things I wished NT would offer:
- Rear heat vents in my quad bunk area
- Bunks over 6' long in the rear
- More modern interior. Too country for my taste. Would like a different wood than oak, perhaps bamboo (fast growth renewable), bamboo flooring, lighter wall color, and designer border at the ceiling.
- Electronic furnace controls
- Modern heater system like boats that are quiet and use less power
- Boondocking option, wired for solar, Inverter and LED lights
- Rear backup light

Premium Suspension option:
- Disc Brake option
- Shocks
- 16 inch series E tires with option to pick Made in USA tires
- Larger capacity axles (very little load capacity margin on 31QBS)
- Factory Bike Rack Option
- Heater vents with controls on them
- Option for Fantastic Fan
- Larger slide out (but not the mega slide on the King Slide)
- Pre-wired for satellite and Cable
- Larger Grey & Fresh water tanks
- Screen door you can open without moving the little sliding door

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
RV Camper, I can help you with the last item on your list. :D Made from a wire coat hanger or similar piece of wire. Pictures below. It's funny how after we buy our rigs, how much we see that we would like to have differently. I guess we have to consider how much we are willing to spend too! I like to do a lot of personal mods that suit our needs specifically. To be honest, I dont think any manufacturers offer everything we want. Travel Safe.

Attachments

• Outside closed.JPG
    Outside closed.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Outside open.JPG
    Outside open.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 114
  • Push to Open.JPG
    Push to Open.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 118

rckc228

They have most of those items on some of their trailers. I bet they would offer them but at what cost.

RVCamper

I think Heartland has an opportunity to tap into a market with selected option packages, or a new model geared twords eco friendly materials.

Typically on the cost side the options cost us (the consumers more) while making more money for the manufacturer. We get we want, they get what they want. The question is are my list of wants properly packaged something other trailer buyers want and will pay a premium for?

I would pay extra for a boon docking package:
- bigger tanks
- Larger capacity axles (you would need them)
- Built in Inverter
- low consumption appliances

This fits in nicely with a eco package or trailer offering resource smart package:

- Bamboo wood floor (renewable, grows fast)
- Tulip wood trim (poplar - grows fast can look like lots of other woods with the right finish)
- Water based finishes, low VOX
- Eco friendly insulation

They already have the low weight down, turn it up an notch and offer some packages to a uptapped market .. hey just look at the T@B!

There is a market for this!

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
- low consumption appliances

Low consumption what appliance? The appliciances presently in place use about 1/3 of the propane than the same stuff in my older AS.

This fits in nicely with a eco package or trailer offering resource smart package:

- Bamboo wood floor (renewable, grows fast)
- Tulip wood trim (poplar - grows fast can look like lots of other woods with the right finish)
- Water based finishes, low VOX
- Eco friendly insulation

Not to sound too much like a horses patoot, but you are asking them to just about open up and entire new "eco-friendly" division. They buy this stuff in bulk...and just how many "eco" trailers do you think they will sell each year? My experience has been for the last 59+ years...that if it's a choice between "eco" and "banco" banco wins everytime. This economy of scale is what allows them to see this RV at a price just below the screaming point.

They already have the low weight down, turn it up an notch and offer some packages to a uptapped market .. hey just look at the T@B!

There is a market for this!
And, how long do you think these "entry level" TT will last when you start loading them up? These things are engineered to be nimble and light..to be towed with a 1/2T PU, or even a Blazer.

Might be a market for it...but, it's not going to be with the people that buy the heartland. Tell Smokey or one of the other wives you are trading in the old Heartland in for a T@B and see how far that goes.;) Just about everything you want would make a good project for the "eco-friendly" crowd. You might want to take that one on for yourself and let us know how you make out.:D

kampfirekid

So, RVCamper, are you running biodiesel in that rig of yours, too? I'm all for the eco-friendly, but something about blowing fuel out the tailpipe of a tow vehicle (and that's any TV) at a whopping 10-12mpg just doesn't rhyme with ECO. Until a Prius can tow 6,000 pounds, were a long way from Eco-friendly. I guess any little bit could help, though. Camping is usually a family event. I'd say 90% is at least a family of three. The sardine-style teardrop 'aint much help in that instance. The minute you're sleeping three, well, out comes the 60 square inches of frontal obstruction with the economics of a flying brick.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Lefty .. can you imagine NASCAR owner promoting eco-friendly cars? :eek:

Check this out ..

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=519139

Propane conversions have been around for years. I checked this guy out and I'd say he's more interested in selling his conversion equipment than any real interest in "going green". And, his stuff is directed at the heavy duty commercial market. Don't see a lot of propane vehicles in Europe..but, diesel is now king in Madrid.

Take alook at the price of a T@B .. almost 20k for a teardrop trailer.

http://vactionlandrv.com/sales/tab.php
Tear drops have been around for nearly a century. Discovery Channel has programs on them frequently. That ain't rv'ing...it's camping in a plywood trailer. I used to have one and had a ball with it. But, I was 22 then...I'm a lot older now. Sides, I don't wanna spend $20K on a something less than a decent tent trailer. Had one of those too.

Same thing with the Little Guy...just another tear drop. Old stuff being re-marketed. They were built for occasional light use...wanna winter over in one for the long term? The porta-potty alone would boggle the mind. A teepee is easy on the environment...but, did anyone ask the buffalo it was made of how he felt about it?

The market is being tested now ... I really don't need to. But thanks.. :rolleyes:

Well, like we used to say in the Army, "No guts, No Glory".

Let me know when you find something that a family of 5 can use. Market testing is to find out about viability. And, viability is the name of the game.

There's a big difference between camping and RVng. Most people that RV are into it for the fun...not to make some kind of ecological statement.:p

RVCamper

I seem to be personally taking flack for suggestion using renewable resources in the construction of a trailer. I certainly am not trying to be a poster child of some movement that is adverse to your, or my lifestyle.

Geesh ...

RVCamper

Ok let's get back on track ...

I can't see how these would add much cost to a trailer:

- Rear heat vents in the quad bunk area (currently NO heat with door closed)
- Bunks over 6' long in the rear (yes we have tall kids)
- Electronic furnace controls (< $20)
- Heater vents with controls on them (<$4)
- Screen door you can open without moving the little sliding door (there has to be a better design)

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hay RVCamper
Don't let Lefty get your goat... Hee Hee.. he is just a good ole chrotchy person that likes to pick at things for the fun of it.. Never met him but would like to some day.. I use to know a few people like him when I was a kid working in the oil fields of Wyoming. He does have some good insite and likes to present it with a bit of brashness but when you have been around here for a while you will just think of him as the old Grandpa on the porch havin fun..

Lefty be nice on the new guys... if you don't am going to spread tacks all around your trailer so you will get flats on your chair..

I think Lefty is pretty well on target though, I would not purchase a trailer you describe. We fulltime and need something more substantial. I would have liked better axles but the tanks on my 3400 are big enough. But most of the things your talking about can be added as time goes by, such as tires. If my Bighorn had cost much more I would not have bought it however I can make additions a little at a time and end up with something that meets what I would have liked to have purchased.

Like a friend said it's only money and cost just a little more to go first class..

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I seem to be personally taking flack for suggestion using renewable resources in the construction of a trailer. I certainly am not trying to be a poster child of some movement that is adverse to your, or my lifestyle.

Geesh ...

Neither am I. I just responded to your points. You brought your points up. I responded.

I pointed out that what you want is not economically feasible for a trailer maker to do. Eco-friendly or not.

You brought out examples. I rebutted each of your points.

And Guy...lemme tell you...if I was going after you personally...you'd know it. There would be no "seem" to it.

I simply disagree with your reasoning. And, I has as much right to relay my thoughts as you do.

If you're not satisfied with my response, take it to private email.

OBTW, do you know what :):p;):D mean and what they are used for?

Check out the last item in my original post to you.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Ok let's get back on track ...

I can't see how these would add much cost to a trailer:

- Rear heat vents in the quad bunk area (currently NO heat with door closed)

A couple of people here have added them. Honestly, I'd worry about the room getting too hot with the kids in it.

- Screen door you can open without moving the little sliding door (there has to be a better design)

There has not been any real change in that design in nearly 30 years. The cover on my door here is exactly the same as the one on my 1981 Lindy Motorhome. And, I'll agree with you there oughta be a better way. Ray did a mod that's pretty spiffy.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Hay RVCamper
Don't let Lefty get your goat... Hee Hee.. he is just a good ole chrotchy person that likes to pick at things for the fun of it.. Never met him but would like to some day.. I use to know a few people like him when I was a kid working in the oil fields of Wyoming. He does have some good insite and likes to present it with a bit of brashness but when you have been around here for a while you will just think of him as the old Grandpa on the porch havin fun..
As a little girl was once heard to say to BOZO..."cram it clown!"None

I think Lefty is pretty well on target though, I would not purchase a trailer you describe. We fulltime and need something more substantial. I would have liked better axles but the tanks on my 3400 are big enough. But most of the things your talking about can be added as time goes by, such as tires. If my Bighorn had cost much more I would not have bought it however I can make additions a little at a time and end up with something that meets what I would have liked to have purchased.

Like a friend said it's only money and cost just a little more to go first class..

Somebody on this board used to own a totally custom trailer. I've read about the manufacturer and he can build you anything you want. I salivated over it for six months. Talked to the maker on the phone, and he assured me that if I wanted it he could build it...if I could pay for it.

At the time, the VA had just done their first settlement with me, and I could get anything I wanted and pay cash. Which really got the other guy going. But, for the life of me, I just could not see paying that kind of money for an RV and then having to spend another small fortune for the tow vehicle. I don't need a dishwasher. Glass show-off shelves. Mahogony, Teak and other exotic woods. I'm an oak kind of guy.

There are always going to be things that you wish you had. And, if you want it, you're gonna pay.

Besides, if it came with everything I wanted...I wouldn't need to steal ideas from Jim, Smokey or Ray.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.