front cap seal

davelinde

I was just cleaning off the black streaks from the gutter on my 3210 and noticed that one side of my front cap seal has opened up just about 1/4". The gap is between the wall and the cover for the seam at the very bottom just before the cover turns under the front.

I cannot find any easy access to see what, if any, damage is now present due to the water leak there. My inclination is to caulk it up and see if it gets worse over time or after towing. Any advice?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dave, I think I understand where you are referring to. Mine has opened up a little in the same area, a length of about 12 to 14 inches and almost a 1/4" gap. I've re-caulked it with white silicone but I think the stuff intended for RV use may work better. The silicone seems to attract and hold dirt. Mine hasn't gotten any worse but it may be best to let a dealer look into it and at least get it reported in writing to CYA for any later problems.

davelinde

yep, I'll be getting some pictures on file with the dealer asap.

To help clarify I attached pics here. First is the general area I'm looking at, front, off-door-side, corner where the cap is seamed. The second shows the gap that opened up. It looks like the trim moved away from the seam and NOT like the cap is moving (eg not the frame shifting here... which would be bad!). Will keep an eye on it. Would be interested in hearing if anyone else has seen this, AND advise checking it since I'm sure water will go in there and do what water does...

View attachment 3524

Attachments

• IMG_1603.jpg
    IMG_1603.jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_1607.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 147

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Dave,
If you are going to the Rally in Goshen they will have some service persons that can look at it there. Looks to me that it will at least need to be recaulked.

Ray LeTourneau

Dave, I see in your pictures you are running a gooseneck adapter. I've read on this and other forums that goosenecks adapters are bad news on fifth wheel camping trailers. Too much stress!I know and have seen them myself that there are other folks running them but maybe with lighter trailers. The gap in my trim seal was nowhere as open as yours.:confused:

davelinde

that's not a gooseneck adapter, it's a tripod base.

let's hope the gap is not a sign of future problems - we will see...

Ray LeTourneau

that's not a gooseneck adapter, it's a tripod base.

let's hope the gap is not a sign of future problems - we will see...
SORRY! I took a second but closer look. :eek: I apologize. Is the trim just pulling away from the side wall or does it look like the cap is separating? It's hard to tell from the picture. Again, sorry for my mistake.

russell

My Cyclone did the same thing. There is an aluminum band under the white vinyl strip that is popping out. The band is screwed through the front cap into the trailer frame. The real problem is when the factory installs the screws it does not use clearance holes in the aluminum band which causes the screw to bind on the band and the frame breaking the head off the screw. The left side of the cap had all but three of the screws broken and was being held on by the caulking. It is easy to check by pulling the vinyl strip out as it snaps back in easily.

Russ

davelinde

As far as I can tell it is just the vinyl band that moved, there is no sign of the structure underneath it moving (yet). I may get more ambitious and get the vinyl off to see what is underneath. As noted it makes sense that this could be broken screw on something else... I can easily push the vinyl back to the original position if I try - though the caulk would not hold it there I'd guess.