Shocks breaking off

denhammkc

I have a 2007 Sundance 3200es that has the shocks for each axle. Last year I replaced a shock on the passenger rear side because the stud at the top end snapped off. This year I just pulled the tires to rotate and balance and the driver rear axle shock is sheared off at the bottom stud. I noticed that both the top and bottom studs on at all the shocks anr NOT perpendicular to the frame mount.
1. Is that normal? It seems as the axle travels up and down the binding at the mount is causing it to snap.
2. Is there anything that can be done about it?
3. I have had the rig exactly 2 years, are the shocks under warrenty? :confused:
Thanks
Kurt

D

Dave Willis

I will get this info to our service dept. I'm sure that they will be able to help you.

Thanks

Forrest Fetherolf

Kurt,

I would recommend removing all 4 shocks and not bother replacing any of them; the shocks are mounted about 45 deg from vertical and provide very little if any shock action. The correct position should be vertical to axle mount to provide maximum effectiveness. The shocks are prone to breaking due to angle of installation and side loading of shock studs. Many owners have complained of shocks breaking, rubbing tires and lower lip of I-beam frame.

Forrest

FennerJ

Heartland Dealer Service
You could take it to your dealership and through Lippert they can diagnose it to verify if it is something Lippert may want to consider. It could have broke from the angle they were installed as Forrest stated, however, to be certain it would need to be inspected.

To answer your question about the warranty, Lippert carries a 1 year warranty along with Heartland RV on the shocks.