Need help with hitch weight on 3600 RL

MFL

I am new to 5th wheels I have a couple questions regarding weights

1. how much weight is in the bed of the truck when connected

2. Is it normal for truck to go down a foot when fifth wheel is connected
with legs up

3. when disconnecting fifth wheel you must raise truck bed and camper to disconnect is that normal.

thanks for your help

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Figuring out your hitch weight is not too difficult. First weigh your truck perferably each axle separately. Then weigh your truck with the 5er attached. If you go to a Pilot or someplace like that you can weigh your tailer axles on one scale and truck rear on another and truck front on another. Subtract your trailer axle weight from the total weight and the remainder is your pin weight. I think I got that right.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Oh yeah, yes it is normal for the truck to 'squat' some when raising the coach legs. When the tailer is on the truck the truck should be level and not "nose high". This is why many of us have put air bags on our trucks. Also you will have to take some of the weight off of the hitch in order to release the pin lock on the hitch. If you do not raise the trailer to take some weight off you will not get it released. You should not have to pick it up too much. If you have taken some of the weight off and cannot get it released, then back the truck up SLIGHTLY to releve some of the pressure. If you have another person you can have them pull the release handle as you put the truck in reverse. It doesn't take much and after you have done it a few times you get a better feel for it.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
the truck up SLIGHTLY to releve some of the pressure. If you have another person you can have them pull the release handle as you put the truck in reverse. It doesn't take much and after you have done it a few times you get a better feel for it.

My neighbor did that yesterday...I thought the think kinda bounced around like a 14,000 pound pogo stick.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
If your unit is dropping your truck "a foot" when you set the trailer on it...you have serious issues! Dropping several inches OK...a foot...I don't think so!

As for the pin weight of a 3600RL...ours weighs in at just over 4,000 pounds...THEY ARE HEAVY! What kind of truck are you pulling with? I wouldn't pull one with less than a 1 ton dually...and that will be at its limits, if not over.

Forrest Fetherolf

I am new to 5th wheels I have a couple questions regarding weights

1. how much weight is in the bed of the truck when connected

2. Is it normal for truck to go down a foot when fifth wheel is connected
with legs up

3. when disconnecting fifth wheel you must raise truck bed and camper to disconnect is that normal.

thanks for your help

MFL,

I have a 3600RL with hitch-pin weight of 2880 lbs including 5500 Onan Gen, 2nd roof A/C, and empty grey and black holding tanks. Gen and 2nd A/C weigh about 330 lbs, about 2/3 or 220 lbs would be added to hitch-pin weight.

Forrest

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
MFL,

I have a 3600RL with hitch-pin weight of 2880 lbs including 5500 Onan Gen, 2nd roof A/C, and empty grey and black holding tanks. Gen and 2nd A/C weigh about 330 lbs, about 2/3 or 220 lbs would be added to hitch-pin weight.

Forrest

Forrest...how did you figure that out...and I don't wanna hear about being an engineer.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
If your unit is dropping your truck "a foot" when you set the trailer on it...you have serious issues! Dropping several inches OK...a foot...I don't think so!

As for the pin weight of a 3600RL...ours weighs in at just over 4,000 pounds...THEY ARE HEAVY! What kind of truck are you pulling with? I wouldn't pull one with less than a 1 ton dually...and that will be at its limits, if not over.

If it's dropping it an foot...the fenders should be riding dead on the tires.