another hitch question

Bobby A

Buying a B/H 3580, I pull with a Dodge Mega Cab, on my SOB I went with a sidwinder instead of getting a super slide hitch in fear of sharp turns damageing my unit or truck. Does anyone know if I can easily put my sidewinder on the new 3580 ?? It should just bolt right up to the pin box right ?? Does anyone out there pull with a Dodge Mega Cab ??

truknutt

Committed Member
Armed with your Sidewinder's part number, I would contact Cequent Customer Service and see if it will fit the new Big Horn's frame.

Fifth Gear Recreational Products
Cequent Towing Products
2602 College Ave.
Goshen, IN 46528
Customer Service: (800) 710-9783
Fax: (800) 249-3827
Email: fifthgear@cequentgroup.com

Bobby A

TrukNutt,

Excuse my ignorance but who is cequent ?? are they the manufacture of the pin box ?? Thanks Bob

Last edited:

Bobby A

Thanks TrukNutt

When I get back to Michigan I will check what model #/part# of sidewinder I have. We are in Elkhart right now.

CGibson

We don't have the same hitch as you do but we do pull our BH 3400RE with a MegaCab 3500 CTD. Pulls and stops great.

Bobby A

CGibson,

Do you have the factory pinbox on your B/H 3400 ?? If so how's the clearence ?? Isn't it real close to the back of the cab ?? How bout tight turns ?? No fear of hitting the truck/trailer ??
Thanks,
Bobby A

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bobby A, go to the HL website and watch the video about the 88* turning radius. I have a short bed Chebby and a I can make a u-turn in front of my house with my Horn. Doesn't even come close to the cab. BTW, I have the MOR/RYDE pinbox and just love it. No chucking and very little up and down shocks on rough roads. Worth the money. Bob:D

nscaler2

Buying a B/H 3580, I pull with a Dodge Mega Cab, on my SOB I went with a sidwinder instead of getting a super slide hitch in fear of sharp turns damageing my unit or truck. Does anyone know if I can easily put my sidewinder on the new 3580 ?? It should just bolt right up to the pin box right ?? Does anyone out there pull with a Dodge Mega Cab ??
Bobby A
In years gone by, when the sidewinder first came out, Lippert put out the word that using a sidewinder on a unit that used one of their frames would negate the warranty on the frame. Seems that it puts more stress on the frame due to its' geometry. I would check with them before doing this. ;)

Bobby A

Thanks for that info Tom & Bobbi,
I was at the factory this past week and they are well aware of what I wanna do and I asked the factory rep point blank to make sure it doesn't void my warranty. I will call Leppert next week to verify. Many people have these sidewinders on there rigs now, so maybe like you said, in years past. Thanks for that heads up
Bobby A

Bobby A

A follow up to Tom & Bobbi and others,
I called Lippert the other day and asked about the sidewinder voiding the warranty. They told me NO, they said many owners have these pin box couplers on their rigs and Lippert has never had an issue. Sorry for the delay in getting this info to you.

nscaler2

A follow up to Tom & Bobbi and others,
I called Lippert the other day and asked about the sidewinder voiding the warranty. They told me NO, they said many owners have these pin box couplers on their rigs and Lippert has never had an issue. Sorry for the delay in getting this info to you.

Glad to hear that you checked. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to mislead you. Two years ago I checked with Lippert on this very same issue. We were considering a sidewinder also, at that time they said my warranty would be void. I guess they have changed their tune. Again, sorry for the erroneous information. By the way we ended up with the Mor/Ryde pin box and are very happy with it.

wittmeba

Thanks for that info Tom & Bobbi,
I was at the factory this past week and they are well aware of what I wanna do and I asked the factory rep point blank to make sure it doesn't void my warranty. I will call Leppert next week to verify. Many people have these sidewinders on there rigs now, so maybe like you said, in years past. Thanks for that heads up
Bobby A
I hope you will post back with the answer. I personally have had concerns with the 22" neck of the Sidewinder and undue stress it puts on the 5th wheel pinbox pieces that connect to the rig.

Bobby A

I'm sorry but I do not have the educated answer, but if you go to the sidewinder web site or a local dealership that sell the sidewinder, they can explain it to you better than I can. I talked to Lippert and they told me they have had no issues and do recognize Sidewinder as a reputable replacement pin box coupler and does not void the manufacture warranty. Maybe someone hear will come along and be able to explain it.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We met a couple in Elkhart 2 years ago who had the sidewinder on the Everest. The hitch locked up while they were turning as the bearing failed. We were lucky to meet the man who designed the sidewinder hitch at the RV show in Elkhart a few days later and he told us there has been an upgrade to the bearing in the hitch to a heavier bearing because of that problem. We realized by looking at the design there would be quite a bit of stress on that bearing but again to each their own.

Bobby A

To JMGratz,

Thanks for that info, I had mine installed the summer of 07 I guess I will have to do some research to see if mine has the upgraded bearing. Thanks Again,

Mariposa

hitch?

I use a 08 Dodge Maga Cab short bed. I use the Air Ride hitch from Hensly with a slider. I have no problems with turns and havn't use the slider. We are towing a BH 3400RL. It is money well spent, the hitch isn't cheap.

Bobby A

I have the 2007 Dodge Mega cab short bed 4x4, I have the 16K reese hitch in the back of the bed. Just wondering if the standard pin box on the Big Horn is far enough away from the trailer that upon making sharp turns with the mega cab attached if the trailer could hit the back of the cab. I have a sidewinder on my SOB that I want to put on the Big Horn when I take delivery. What's your thoughts Mariposa???