A newbie question about warranties

patrick1945

This will be our 2nd rv and bouncing around here I have a concern about warranties.

Our current FW is a Forest River and at closing the dealer offered us a Forest River bumper to bumper warranty for the second year at a cost of $100. The first year was included in the purchase price. It was a one time only offer but was a no-brainer and we bought it.

That dealer did not offer us any third party warranty and I see on this site discussions of insurance company-type programs. I have 2 friends that have had nothing but problems trying to get action involving their extended warranties on motorhomes.

It never enterred my mind that someone might try to sell me an extended warranty on a FW. Should I expect that? And don't the individual components such as frig, ac, furnace, water heater etc. have warranties that extend past the intial year?

After that first year with my Forest River product Suburban Dometic etc. all contacted me each year thereafter trying to sell extentions.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Wow, a second year B to B for $100 is a pretty good offer. You are right about miscellaneous component warranties lasting longer than 1 year. Even roofs and frames extend beyond the first year. I know Camping World and Good Sam both have aftermarket warranties available but I'm not sure of the cost. I've read horror stories in Trailer Life regarding some extended warranties but I don't recall seeing any complaints about Good Sam or Camping Worlds plans.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Yes many of the individual components have longer warranties but extended warranties cover the labor to remove and replace those items. An example is when our Micro/convection oven went out. The oven was replaced by the manufacturer but the labor to remove and replace it was on us. Luckily our extended warranty paid for that. At $100 an hour for labor it adds up quick.