RGV and Texas Gulf Campgrounds..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
RVG and Gulf campgounds on the way to Rayford..

We are in Mission TX right now and are going to work our way up the Gulf and end up at Rayford Crossing for the Rally.

We plan to stay about a week at a time each time we move.

We plan to stay somewhere around Harlingen. From what I can find Tropic Winds RV Resort has a fairly good review. There are a number of parks around that area. Anyone have any ideas.

When we leave Harlingen we want to go up the coast to around Padre, Mustang Island and such.. From my map there are a ton of parks on Padre. Also what are the roads like to take the BH 3400.

Then I guess we will go up the coast around Houston to stay for a bit before the rally.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bob, We are in Colonia del Rey in Corpus Christi. 5 miles from the gulf and Padre Island. We should have a weekly site available and Lin can check for you if you want her to. She would need dates. Price for concrete (50amp) is $190 a week and grass & gravel (30 amp) is $150 both include cable & sewer. Mustang Island is the state park and there is also camping on Padre Island at Bali park but I don't know much about it. There are usually about a dozen trailers there. Walking distance to the beach.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
You two clown in the same town at the same time?

Nope, Norfolk is sounding better all the time.:eek:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Oh Yea !!! Well at least it is 72*, bright sun, cool waves at the beach, shorts & tee shirts..

We just put in an order for you to remain snowed in so you can stay in your Long John's with the back door.. Hi 50*.. Hah.. :p

Plug in your heater for the diesel so you can start it in the morning, put on your ice skates and PUSH.. ;)

Thanks for the information on campgrounds. When we move I will post where we stay and give you a review...

Ray we might be up to your area. We want to stay one or two other places before we get up to Houston.. Will look for you and give you a call.. PM or email me your phone number.

Last edited by a moderator:

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Wanted....

Plug in your heater for the diesel so you can start it in the morning, put on your ice skates and PUSH.. ;)

Wanted one men's black ice skate -- Right boot needed only -- size 10. With training wheels.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
To heck with the out rigger.. we can just put ski's on the chair and push you down hill... :rolleyes:

Hurry up and get down here we need to have someone to pick on..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hidden Oaks near Rockport is next..

Well we checked out a lot of parks and the one we came up with is the Hidden Oaks RV Park in Rockport (Lamar) TX. It is real close to the Goose Island State Park. We will be moving there in the morning and plan to stay a month.

Has anyone stayed there?? We called a lot of parks around the Gulf Coast. Many of them were booked for a month or more. Some could only give us a week or less. At this park the lady worked some of the reservations around and got us a spot for a month.

After this stop will be the rally @ Rayford Crossing.. Hope to see many of you there.

If your curious here is the location of Hidden Oak
N28.14511 W96.98422

BC

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Well we checked out a lot of parks and the one we came up with is the Hidden Oaks RV Park in Rockport (Lamar) TX. It is real close to the Goose Island State Park. We will be moving there in the morning and plan to stay a month.

Has anyone stayed there?? We called a lot of parks around the Gulf Coast. Many of them were booked for a month or more. Some could only give us a week or less. At this park the lady worked some of the reservations around and got us a spot for a month.

After this stop will be the rally @ Rayford Crossing.. Hope to see many of you there.

If your curious here is the location of Hidden Oak
N28.14511 W96.98422

BC

Lemme know how it works out. After stops in Missouri, for sausage, and a couple of others, as a flyby...will be headed to Rockport for a couple of months later this year. A couple or months or longer.

jimtoo

HI Bob,
We have stayed there a few times. Nice place, all gravel and grass, large sites. Long way off highway, very quite.
Be sure you see the big oak tree while your there, only a mile or two away. Lots of good eating places in Rockport-Fulton.

Jim M

talley

If you like to fish you are in a good area... when I was a kid we stayed at Goose Island State Park. It was not as nice then as it is now, but we did gig some good size flounder right off the campground area. That was some 60 years ago... being 9-10 years old they seemed huge to me...they probably were -I remember the term "saddleblanket" being used to describe the flounder.

As Jimtoo said, see the Big Tree... it is over 2,000 years old. Imagine the history and exposure to storms and harsh environment it endured to last those years.

You are located in an area with a good number of short day=trips worth the time. Corpus Christi has a nice bayfront area, Port Aransas for the beach and tourist along with Rockport and Fulton.
additionally, I would recommend a trip to Seadrift and Barkett's Seafood Restaurant and/or Port O'Connor and Capt Clarks Restraurant. Hope you enjoy your visit and will see you at rally in Houston.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well here we are. We arrived at Hidden Oaks RV Park.
The positives:
It has new Electrical services. The Electrical box is all new.
The water has over 50 psi which is where my regulator is set.
The sewer is good.. 4" pvc.
I did not have to level side to side.
WiFi seems to be working good at my site. I am using it now
Right by the Goose Island State Park..?? I think that is good.
Pretty close to the water.. short walk.

The Con's:
The ground is soft and sandy
My site was a real pain to get into. I had to have two people help me get in and miss the trees.
The tree out side the office needs to be trimmed.
The trees around my site 48 needs to be trimmed and one removed.
The road is hard packed gravel and rough.
They told me the site is gravel. Well it is sand with a little gravel.
Lots of sand burrs.
I had to drop the front of the 5er almost all the way down to get it level front to back.
Verizon and Sprint Air Cards have very poor to non existent signals. Neighbor has Verizon and is using about a 20' pole to raise his trucker antenna high enough to get a signal. I don't have a tall pole so I am left with the campground Wifi which is doing well for me now. Some say it drops out sometimes.

If I had driven up here and looked at it first I would look for another park in the area. The Sand Dollar looks nice. I will go by and take a look at it and some others in the next few days..

Have met a couple of people when I arrived and all were very friendly. This may be one of the best features of this park.

I guess the big thing here is the services are good. The park grounds needs to be improved to make it more acceptable..

Lefty.. This would not be a place for you. Will look for one while I am here..

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Went to the Sprint site http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?language=EN.. Drilled down and found that where I am & there is no sprint data service. If I went south across the bridge to Fulton I would have good sprint data service.. Oh what a mile or two means..

Be careful when you are in the RGV when you are very close to Mexico that you do not hit at tower in Mexico and get hit with international roaming charges...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Be careful when you are in the RGV when you are very close to Mexico that you do not hit at tower in Mexico and get hit with international roaming charges...

Hay Jim.. Thanks I had not thought about that.. Good advice..
Right now we are in Lamar, just north of Rockport. Small park just outside of the Goose Island State Park. Not fancy but not crammed up slide to slide. Getting in on Sprint with my booster. Things are working out.

...and it is a lot cheaper than those down the road... Hee Hee..:D

Later.. BC..