Kitchen Floor

geeksrus

Since October 2007, our kitchen floor creaks next to the cabinet.

Last April (2008) the Heartland Service Center in Elkhart worked on the floor but the creaking still happens.

Just recently, away from the cabinet on the lino area, we are getting a loud thump. It then seems to float as we step on areas, eventually disappearing for a few days & then the floating creak returns. It seems to only appear when the mornings are warm (70F this morning).

Anyone have a fix to this?

Eh!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We had a squeak and tried shimming between the sheathing and the joists. That only lasted a short time. I removed the shims, cut away all the linoleum flooring in the kitchen area and with the help of a stud finder, screwed the sheathing to the joists. I only found 3 screws that the factory used:eek:. I used about 20 in the kitchen area alone. I'm guessing they glue the sheathing down and it might not have held very well??? I then removed the staples holding the carpet edge to the floor. Oh, did I leave out the part about the trip to Home Depot for laminate flooring:D. The next step was to install the laminate and new carpet transition molding. I had to take out the "curve" in the carpet near the door and make it angled so I could use the molding there too. In all, including the perimeter trim, a 2 day job (I,m pretty slow on my knees) and about $200.00. Well worth it! No More Squeaks!:D

Attachments

• Before.JPG
    Before.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 54
  • After.JPG
    After.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 55

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist

Eh!

Screws, power drive, new linoleum, free time. I got the same problem. Man, they save a lot of money on the screws in my RV...both of them.

ChopperBill

We had a creak when we walked into our bedroom. Finally found it was where the Corian counter meets the wall. Aint figured out how to fix it yet. It has started to wrinkle the "wall paper" there. Think I will just learn to ignore it.

Last April (2008) the Heartland Service Center in Elkhart worked on the floor but the creaking still happens.

Just recently, away from the cabinet on the lino area, we are getting a loud thump. It then seems to float as we step on areas, eventually disappearing for a few days & then the floating creak returns. It seems to only appear when the mornings are warm (70F this morning).

Eh! commercial kitchen flooring
Hi, I have a big kitchen that is currently gutted and I am working out the best flooring to install. The kitchen is 4m wide and 7m long. It will have an island which will have a hob in the center of the room. For such a big room, I think having it all tiled would be ridiculous. I would be more inclined to install durable wood/laminate flooring to give the kitchen a more homely feel. Another option would be just to tile around the island. If anyone has any advice on kitchen flooring, it would be appreciated.