Prodigy users question

Dmaxcc6spd

I need some input from Prodigy users - specifically those towing between 10 and 14K pounds. What is your initial gain setting and what boost level are you using?

The brakes seem somewhat aggressive at slow speeds, but I don't notice much at higher speeds. Everything seems to slow OK when getting off the interstate. Either this controller is more sophisticated than my last controller, or it is defective.

I appreciate you info,

Thanks!

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I have found in slow or stop an go traffic if you lower your boost setting it gives smoother operation. I generally just turn the boost off instead of lowering it and apply the boost setting back on as speeds increase. Then again your boost might be to high of a setting to begin with if you are on the high boost setting ,try dropping down one setting on boost.....Kenny

truknutt

Committed Member
Dmax,

From the Tekonsha Prodigy Owner's Tow Card & Owner's Instructions:

Setting The Power

1. Once you’ve connected the brake control’s electrical wire harness to the vehicle and mounted Prodigy, connect the trailer’s electrical connector to the tow vehicle.

2. With (Boost Level 1 and) engine running hold manual (lever) full left and set power knob to indicate 6.0.

3. Drive tow vehicle and trailer on a dry level paved surface at 25 mph and fully apply manual knob.

4. If the trailer wheels lock up, slightly reduce power by adjusting the power knob. If the wheels turn freely, increase power to a point just before wheel lock up.

There is a note...

NOTE:
For optimal performance: All electric trailer brake controls require you to “warm the brakes” before setting the power. To warm brakes, drive a short distance (1/4 mile) at 45 MPH with manual lever engaged approximately halfway.

I have a Prodigy in two of my trucks and each one ends up with slightly different settings for the same trailer. I suspect that a lot of my problem is that I don't (and who does?) follow the instructions regarding warming up the brakes. I end up squeeling at the the first couple of stop signs but it gets everyone's attention!! I even tried marking the gain wheel to make it easier to set up but that is sometimes off by a 1/4 wheel. A fluxuation in weight will affect the settings, also. Haul a 12,000 lb dump trailer fully overloaded and then empty...this is when Ken's advice to turn up/down the Boost comes into play!!

Hope this helps some...

ct0218

Like Ken said, it is a somewhat variable setting. I have several diffent trailers that I pull, the Landmark, large utility, and a heavy gooseneck. Each has its own settings. I have a card that i made up for all three, initial/stop and go and open road. The brakes can develop a light coat of rust if it is very humid and parked, and that can make them grab initially. I keep the card on my visor.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I would also adjust the brakes , mine where way out of adjustment. I was surprised really how far it took to get them to start dragging and that was after I took one short trip before I checked them....Kenny

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Initially I had mine szet at B1 but was not happy with the braking so I upped to to B2 and am much happier. Every once in a while I get the trailer brakes locking up but that is fairly rare.../Doug