Cheesee potatoes

jnbhobe

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Potato Casserole
1 bag frozen southern style hash browns
1/2 cup oleo melted ( I use more)
1 tsp. salt 1 tsp. pepper 1 sm chopped onion ( I use a large one ) 1pt sour cream 1 can cream of mushroom soup (celery, chicken,what-ever you have)
2 cups shredded cheese (I use lots more. like 3 or more sharp chedder)
Mix all ingredients, put in 9x13 pan ( maybe bigger I don't like it too deep )
Top with 1/4 cup melted oleo & 3 cups crushed corn flakes (I use a lot more & use butter but I cheat) used a whole box at the rally.
Bake at 350 for 45 to 60 min.
PS. It was a double batch at the rally.
I bake it till it starts to burn, I like the crunchy stuff on the sides.So I cook it a while before I put on the topping.
Patti and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

rckc228

Making me hungry and I just had Breakfast. Fast and easy thats what I like and it sounds wonderful low fat too!!!!!!

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We got this recipe from Jon & Patti after the rally was truly a keeper. It was so good had to hurry back for seconds and almost didn't make it. Try it you will be glad you did.....Kenny

jcd8822

Joseph
This s a great recipe. It is basically like ours, except ours calls for one pound of bacon chopped up and fried in advance. It is added in when all of the ingredients are mixed together.

Joseph

jbeletti

I wondered when the bacon was going to come into this thread :)

You had to be at the 2008 MI rally in Frankenmuth to know what I'm referring to. Suffice it to say that when your near the thumb of MI, stop at Tony's in Birch Run and order ANYTHING with bacon :)

Jim

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Calling margarine oleo is like calling a refrigerator an icebox. Kinda shows our age. LOL I haven't heard margarine call oleo in years. That is the proper name for it though, Oleo Margarine. Now most of us just call it butter.

jimtoo

Does anyone remember that when oleo was first being sold, it was white. There was a little capsule of yellow coloring that came with it. You heated and added your own color if you wanted it yellow. Then you put it back in "ice box" to harden and you had your artificial butter.

dieselsweetheart

I make these cheesy pots too (but made something else for the rally)...for another variation try crushed cheez-its as a topping instead of the corn flakes. They add that yummy cheesy crunch flavor...

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Does anyone remember that when oleo was first being sold, it was white. There was a little capsule of yellow coloring that came with it. You heated and added your own color if you wanted it yellow. Then you put it back in "ice box" to harden and you had your artificial butter.

Boy do I ever remember that. Like Nan, it was my job to kneed the packet thouroghly to make the yellow color.

Back then, we lived in Wisconsin (the Dairy State), we would have to drive down to Waukegan, Ill to buy the oleo because it wasn't allowed in stores in Wisconsin.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Boy do I ever remember that. Like Nan, it was my job to kneed the packet thouroghly to make the yellow color.

Back then, we lived in Wisconsin (the Dairy State), we would have to drive down to Waukegan, Ill to buy the oleo because it wasn't allowed in stores in Wisconsin.
I always thought there should have been Border Patrol between IL & WI. :rolleyes: Now I know for sure.:D

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
Great Recipe !! I don't think anybody notice I went back for seconds at the PA rally. Thanks Patti & Jon for posting it.

Thanks for your trips down memory lane, folks. I shared your memories with my 49 yr old DH and 14 & 10 yr old DD's. DH asked me "Do you know why they had that packet of coloring? So consumers wouldn't be duped into buying oleo packaged as butter."

Thanks for your little slice of Americana. So much history in such a short time. Great stuff.

bacaye

My potatoe recipe had everything but the corn flakes on top. After eating this at the Illinois Rally I am going with the corn flakes for sure. So yummy!!!