So how tall is it?

Peteandsharon

Tooling around the Wisconsin Dells area two weeks ago, I came across an underpass which would have been touch and go had I been pulling the BH. It did get me to thinking that I don't really know how tall my rig is at the highest point. Realizing that there is room for variability based on tow vehicle and other things, does anyone know what the actual height is for the BH 3055RL. Currently I don't have a second A/C for the front bedroom but I may by the end of summer. Any numbers, with or without the second A/C would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

jbeletti

Pete,

I think you're right around 12'11" but best for you to check yourself.

Speaking of low clearances in the Dells, when I stay at the KOA on Stand Rock Road, I come in the back way as they turns are easier and I bypass all town traffic.

The first time I went this way, I nearly second guessed my directions until I saw the clearance sign by a super low train bridge. I am thinking 12' or so.

Here's a link to a map where that bridge is. It's right where County Road A meets Stand Rock Road at the top tip of the triangle. DO NOT go straight ahead under that train bridge. Take the hard right onto Stand Rock Road.

Let me know where you saw a low clearance as I make it to the Dells at least once a year with the rig.

Jim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Pete, I do not have your 3055rl, but based on things that I have read, and having measured mine (before new springs) I think that 13' is a good guestimate. I wish I could help more, but if you want to know the height of your 3055, you should measure yours. Thanks for the reminder. I have to re measure mine. I took my 6' level, and held it on the highest point, then out to the side and measured to the pavement. I did this while hitched up. You can go to LOW CLEARANCES for a list of, of all things, low clearances.
Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It is always best to measure. When we got our Mor-ryde put on it raised our Landmark 3 inches. We are now 12'11" and were 12'8" before. I always just figure we are 13'2" just to be sure that way if we hit a bump and bounce up an inch or two we have room. Don't forget if you change tires that can change your height also.

Last edited:

jimtoo

I have a 3055 with frt A/C. Hooked up loaded and ready to go I measured 13' 2". Also my front A/C is not a low profile. But before you take anyone's measurement,, check your own. I tow with a 1 ton dually, it don't squat, someone else may tow with a 3/4ton, and it's gonna squat more than mine.

Jim M

Peteandsharon

Thanks guys. I will get out there and check it myself once it comes out of winter hibernation. The numbers you mentioned above are actually a little higher than I was assuming so I'm doubly glad I wasn't pulling the rig.

Jim, I believe we're talking about the exact same bridge. We had diverted off of HWY 12 to try to find Stand Rock Campground. I remember it was a train bridge because a train passed over right after we went under. We've stayed at Stand Rock before with our old travel trailer so the height was never a concern. This time we were looking for a campground in the Dells that has cabins/cottages in addition to the campsites. We're having a minor family get together and some of our party don't have RVs.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I measured my 3400 while at the dealers the last time I was there and it measured 13'-1" over the front A/C. After I changed out my axles to 7k I have not measured it again. While at Rayford Crossing I think I will find a way to measure it again.

Like Bob, I always considered that if what I was to go under showed less than 13'-6" I would check it while the DW drove.

One thing that has helped me was something that Jerry, instructor for Dick Reed driving course, told me. When normally driving down the road if you see an overhead obstruction and you are about 150' away from it, if you raise your eyes to see the obstruction you can go under it. If you drop your eyes to view the obstruction you most likely can not go under it. This works for all size persons and all RV's, Trucks or Motorhomes ..

Does anyone know what the common height is of a standard Semi box trailer?

beardedone

Beardedone
It is always wise to leave some room for bounce. And don't forget if it is a steep approach to the underpass your clearance could be less than you think.

Niles

TXBobcat, 13' 6" is normal for semi-box vans. That is max on anything going down the road without getting oversize permits. When we haul oversize and get permits the state from which you get the permit routes you the way they want you to go. So next time you see a oversize caught under a bridge, it's not always just driver error. It can get real interesting at times.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
NILES, is correct 13'6". Just because the sign says 13'6" doesn't mean that they didn't repave under the bridge and change it by 2 inches.