Yellowstone Camping

flyfishing48

Hi all,
We are starting to plan a trip to yellowstone. Our first thought was to leave from the Michigan Chapter rally the end of August. I looked a some info online and I see a lot of the campgrounds close mid September. So that might not be such a good idea. Anyone on this forum have any experience at yellowstone, in particular September? :confused:

Tom

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Tom, we have stayed at or should I say near Yellowstone NP. The place we chose was Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowsone. It is at the west entrance to the park. Leave town your in the park. It is a nice rv park. $$ As I recall from walking around th cg, site #117 was a back in and had a nice view out the back window. West Yellowstone is pretty central to touring the park. And when you go, don't forget to go out at night and look up at the sky. I can't tell you about September, we were there in June. Been there twice and will go again. See you in St Ignace
Peace
Dave

HarleyRyder

Retired Gunslinger
Yellowstone

We stayed at the Rustic Wagon Rv Park in West Yellowstone last June and we are going back again this June. They don't have all of the bells and whistles of the newer parks but they are friendly, always onsite and keep the park clean.

Their "normal" season is April 15 through October 31st but they will plow the snow in their pull through sites in the winter.

www.rusticwagonrv.com .

Last edited:

Clark

We stayed at the Yellowstone KOA in June 2007 while in the area. Campground was very nice with plenty of pull throughs and open area around each site. It was several miles west of West Yellowstone, but no problem for us. I just looked and they are listed as open until October 1st.
Clark

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The eariler you can go to Yellowstone the better. If you cannot get there before the middle of June you are better off waiting until school starts. The crowds there are horrible but going early or after school starts you miss the majority of the crowds. One day I would like to see it in the winter. I have see movies and photos of it in the winter and it looks beautiful (and super cold). It would be a blast to ride a snowmobile through the park in the winter.

Two Hands

The RV campground near Fishing Bridge is outstanding! Not only are you centrally located in the park, but you also have full hookups. Bison, snow shoe rabbits, and coyotes often wandered through the campground. And, after spending a whole day driving around in the park looking for bear, we spotted a grizzly just a mile or so from the campground. Yellowstone is beautiful! We are considering applying to work there next summer.

Peteandsharon

Tom,

We took a slightly different approach. We stayed south of Yellowstone in Jackson Hole. Don't recall the name offhand, though. Gave us a good base camp in the Tetons within easy reach of Yellowstone. I would definitely say, though, that you are pressing your luck in Sept. We were there in June.

Pete

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I was raised northeast of Casper Wy. Been to Yellowstone a few time and the Grand Tetons are my favorite place.

We stayed in Jackson, Wy at the Virginian RV Resort. It is behind the Virginian Resort Lodge. Not a bad place to stay.

We drove up to Yellowstone from Jackson a number of days. Put a lot of miles on the truck and saw the same roads more than once. If I were going to stay there again I would find something in Yellowstone. Easier to drive around and get back home. Many suggestions made above are good. You can also go to http://www.rvparkreviews.com/ and check what others thought of the campgrounds. I would also call the park and get information on campgrounds and requirements.

For those that make the mistake.. Jackson Hole is an area of Wyoming. It is not a city. Jackson Wyo is a city and it has the antler arches that are shown in a lot of advertisements.

If you want to stay up there during the winter you can rent a cabin in parts of the area outside Yellowstone. However I have seen the temp get down to -45* and snow so tall you climb it like sand dunes. Never had snowmobiles when I was a kid and believe me you can get lost on one real easy. The snow hides most of the landmarks that you use to get around when outside the cities..

Have fun.. and don't feed the bears or pet the Bison.. BTW Bison is the correct name.. not Buffalo.. :)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Good Info Bob & Pat...When we were there the first week of June there was still snow banks over 6 feet high on the sides of the road. We also got caught in a white out snow storm on a mountain pass (Towagnee Pass) and had to wait for the snow plow to get us down. Weather is weird there that time of year but neat for us flatlanders.....

ct0218

Been there in Jackson/Moose area 4 times---but ONLY in the summer! Caught some nice trout flyfishing in the Snake River in the area. Just east of there is a nice little town, Dubois, WY. Not much to it,but not a tourist destination so quite unlike most towns in the area.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
If you happen to be running around northeast of Casper, there is a couple of small (real small) towns, Midwest & Edgerton. I was raised in Midwest. Take I-25 north then east on 387. In Edgerton there is a small cafe on the corner of 387 and 2nd street (not sure if 2nd street has a sign). The lady that works in there bakes pies and she has won the State Blue Ribbon for pies for a number of years.

If you want to see some history take exit 210 from I-25 and take 259 north to Midwest & Edgerton (was the old hwy 87 when I was a kid). You will go by the Teapot Dome Ranch. This ranch has been around for many years. Back in the 1920's they had a Oil Scandal that was about the same as Watergate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teapot_Dome_scandal

At the ranch site is a rock out cropping that use to look like a Teapot. A tornado came by in the middle 60's and broke the spout off. Bummer.

Hope you like this bit of trivia..

ludwigdavid

David & Diana
My wife and I worked in the park the last two summers and had a ball. I feel it is better to stay in the park if you can but the campgrounds do close early, usulay Labor day. If you stay in the park you will not have to fight the morning trafic coming into the park. fishingbridge and canyon camp grounds are great.