12 gal water heater vent

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
I looking to putt a wasp screen on my water heater. I find them for a 6 and 10 gal. units. Does any body know or have the 10 gal unit, and can you measure the vent opening for me so I can see if a 10 gal cover will fit the 12 gal unit.
The 12 measures 6.75 X 9 inches.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We got one for our Landmark at RV Capital Service Center in Elkhart. They could probably ship you one...

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Steve, I have looked every where for one to fit the 12 gal heater and not had any luck yet. Even my dealer did not stock any. CW does not have them and neither does Tweety's. I have also looked on many other RV web sites with no luck. I would really like to find one before summer gets here.

jmgratz

I don't know if they can help but try this link. http://www.stagparkway.com/Contact.aspx

Stag-Parkway is one of the largest distributors of RV accessories. It they dont have it they should be able to tell you where to get it. I noticed in their catalog they have the screen for the Suburban 10 gal ..part #79-8007. When I got a new anode rod for our 12 gal Suburban the 10 and 12 gal were the same. It might be true of the insect screen. They should be able to tell you.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
I received a PM from a local BH owner and found that we have the same dealer and they installed the screens for them when they bought theirs. So I guess I go see the dealer.
Will let you know what I find out.

DennisZ

Steve

The door on a 12 gal WH and the 10 gal WH are the same door, so a screnn that fits the 10 gal model will work (don't ask how I know, $58 later for a new door)

Dennis

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
My dealer told me the 10 gal screen would not fit the 12 gal. They had one for the 10 and it was a little smaller than the 12 gal. Tweety's customer service also told me the screen for the 10 gal would not fit. Some dealer somewhere has got to sell them. Hopefully.

ct0218

I just glued some fiberglass screen material to the inside of the door-still works after 3 years, cheap too.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Steve

The door on a 12 gal WH and the 10 gal WH are the same door, so a screnn that fits the 10 gal model will work (don't ask how I know, $58 later for a new door)

Dennis

Dennis,

Does that fall under the "Stuff Occurs" heading?:rolleyes:

Gus

jbeletti

Size of the water heater vents

I just went out to the lines and measured the water heater vents Not the louvers but the screen opening) and found the following:

6 gallon:
4-15/16" wide x 6-3/4" long

10 gallon:
6-3/4" wise x 8.75"

12 gallon:
6-3/4" wise x 8.75"

So the 10 and 12 have the same size screen vent opening. We currently use Suburban water heaters so those who were told by parts houses that the 10 and 12 have a different screen vent opening size may have been thinking Atwood or some other brand. Not sure.

Jim

jbeletti

So my dealer and Tweety's were wrong. Thanks Jim.

All I know is what I measured on the factory floor. I even took pictures of the tape measure on the vents :)

Been wrong before, will be wrong again. Hope I got this one right :eek:

Jim

DennisZ

Gus

That does fall under that catagory, also under the don't send the wife out to turn off the water, do it yourself, you might remember to latch the door.

Dennis

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
I purchased a screen from CW that said it was made for the Surburban 10 gal. heater (listed on the package) and it did NOT fit the 12 gal. The screen for the 10 gal. was to small for the 12 gal. heater on my 2009 Big Horn. There must be two sizes out there.

jbeletti

I purchased a screen from CW that said it was made for the Surburban 10 gal. heater (listed on the package) and it did NOT fit the 12 gal. The screen for the 10 gal. was to small for the 12 gal. heater on my 2009 Big Horn. There must be two sizes out there.

I think the key here is take your water heater vent screen opening dimensions with you when you shop for the mud dauber screen to ensure a correct fit.

It's my guess that the there are brand differences (Atwood vs Suburban vs others).

As everyone learns more on this, please continue to give feedback on this thread so we all learn. Thanks.

Jim

jbeletti

Here's a site with a lot of screens. Even for the refer vents! Still, no 12 gal screens. Sticking to my store that the Suburban screen sizes (10 and 12) are the same :)

Also, on the PPL Motorhomes Parts site, for Suburban water heaters, it states "This 12 Gallon Water Heater uses the same door as the 10 Gallon Water Heater".

Jim

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
42673.jpg
Radius Corner Door
42678.jpg
Flush Mount Door

The 2 pictures are for 10 gallon tanks , which stated that they fit the 12 gallon water heater. One can see the screen opening is different , guess the difference is the mounting on the rigs can be different. Just thought I would add to the confusion.....:eek:.....Kenny

jmgratz

42673.jpg
Radius Corner Door
42678.jpg
Flush Mount Door

The 2 pictures are for 10 gallon tanks , which stated that they fit the 12 gallon water heater. One can see the screen opening is different , guess the difference is the mounting on the rigs can be different. Just thought I would add to the confusion.....:eek:.....Kenny

I see the difference but are they both Suburban water heaters, or is one an Atwood.