Replacement Flooring

samtoby

Our flooring ripped in the cold weather in our year old Sundance... pretty cheap grade lino as I found when I removed it. Replaced it with some Laminate.. photos attached. I also removed the carpeting from the stairs as that never really made sense to me as our trailer was lino, then carpet on the stairs, then lino again.

Attachments

• P1050964.jpg
    P1050964.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 480
  • P1050965.jpg
    P1050965.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 420

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
nice work samtoby. I did our 3400 also and I plan on re-doing the stairs with hardwood as soon as we get back up north and have some tools available.

caokgafamily

I would like to do this on our 3400 RL.
My big concern is how the laminate would hold up with the slide moving on it ?

Last edited:

Shadowchek

Vey Nice job I am jealous. It will have to wait untill something happens to the lino though beacause we are doing some upgrades the stick right now.

Greg

Ray LeTourneau

I would like to do this on our 3400 RL.
My big concern is how the laminate would hold up with the slide moving on it ?
Steve, I had the same concern as you when I did my floor. The bottom edge of the slide rises up while it's coming in but I was still a bit worried so I protected the floor and trim using a piece of the carpet runner with the nubbies so it wouldn't move. At first, the slide rubbed hard on the runner. I discovered a couple of screw heads were exposed a tiny bit. These screws are on the bottom edge of the slide closest to the door and are accessible with the slide open. I removed the screws, countersunk the holes and replaced them and this eliminated the problem. Now I no longer even need the runner for protection. And the best part, the floor is much more solid. Go for that laminate job.

tmcran

Ray,

Did the floor you put down require glue and does it have the rubber pad underneath?

Ray LeTourneau

Ray,

Did the floor you put down require glue and does it have the rubber pad underneath?
No glue required. We did, however, put silicone sealant on the edges at the entry door and the kitchen cabinet base area and under the fridge. Just in case there was a large splii to keep water from penetrating the laminate material. The laminate came with attached underlayment. NIce stuff to work with by the way.

samtoby

I didn't glue mine either and the pieces actually snap together. It is supposed to be a floating floor system, but I did follow what Ray did above and put silicone around the edges to avoid any spills getting underneath. I actually staples the ends where they meet the carpet to be extra safe and used PL400 to glue the transition strip down on top. Its relatively easy to work with, but you have to plan it out to make sure you can actually get the last few pieces in place. I started from the door and worked toward the cupboards as i thought it would be easier to hide a small gap under the edge of the cupboard.

Rmcgrath53

I would like to put laminate flooring in my Sundance. I am capable of doing it. My friend works at Home Depot in the flooring section . She said that it would not hold up in the extreme temperatures in Michigan. Going from 0 degrees up to 90 degrees in winter and summer. They do have a vinyl product that looks good,called alure. It also is a plank system that snapes together. I am wondering, if any one ,that put laminate down,if it is holding up in extreme temps swings?

Last edited:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Samtoby - what a nice job. Going to the rv shows this winter, i've seen a couple of mfg putting the wood/plank still flooring in. Looks great!! Wonder if HL is considering and researching this style of flooring for duability for future units??? By the way how much would ya charge to do others?

samtoby

Funny you should mention the temp swings. Its -23 Celcius here today (about -10 F) so i hope it holds up. I talked to a number of people at specialized hardwood flooring shops and I was told laminate would be the only product with a chance. I originally wanted engineered floor as i thought it would handle moisture better, but i was shown some samples from summer cabins that didn't fair so good in the winter. Real Hardwood was definately out due to the inabiltity to control the humidity. Pretty sure it would have cracked. I'll keep ya posted on how it fairs come springtime....

RVerFulltime

Fulltiming Since 2004
We had a factory installed (by Keystone) laminate wood floating floor in our Everest. When it was brand new, the floor looked great. After a couple of years and a few thousand miles of travel, the floor started to get very small gaps between the pieces. Plus running my hand over the surface, I could feel uneven spots probably due to moisture. Would I want a laminate wood floor again in the next RV we buy, the answer is NO!!

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
We had a factory installed (by Keystone) laminate wood floating floor in our Everest. When it was brand new, the floor looked great. After a couple of years and a few thousand miles of travel, the floor started to get very small gaps between the pieces. Plus running my hand over the surface, I could feel uneven spots probably due to moisture. Would I want a laminate wood floor again in the next RV we buy, the answer is NO!!

I had real wood flooring put down in my AS. Rather, I did it myself. The temps I stayed in went from 110F to as low as 10 below zero. I never had any problem with the floor, cracking, breaking, splitting, or gaps nor anything else. I, personally, think that if you ask around, you will always find some nay-sayers when it comes to any project. And, I'd sure take the word of a "floor man" before I'd bet my money on advice from Home Depot.

I laid out my current project over on RV.net...and all the feedback I got was negative. No information on how to do what I wanted to do..but, a whole lot of info on why it would not/could not/never would work.

I'm currently in the process of removing every bit of carpet from my 3055RL. When it's done, the entire thing will be nothing but laminate. I have a 20 year warranty from the producer...and, if it fails? I just reinstall something new. Most of the people here won't keep the RV long enough to really worry about longevity.

In addition, I'm laying radiant heating in the livingroom/kitchen and about a 2X2' piece in the toilet. I like a warm foot. And, I got 46 RV.Net no's on why I couldn't do it. You can do anything you want, if you get the right stuff to do the job to begin with...and pay the price. If you skrimp and go cheap, you are going to be disappointed everytime.

I've seen too much laminate put down in commercial establishments to worry about it in a trailer.

timk

I'd sure take the word of a "floor man" before I'd bet my money on advice from Home Depot.

Yep.

Home Depot is a good place to get "stuff" not advice. You know they will give them orange aprons to anybody.

SmokeyBare

Timk,

True statement... But knowing that ahead of time... removes them from my list of folks to ask ! Why would I think someone working in a department store have had experience working in the field... doing the install...

Same as asking a Auto Salesman how to repair and install parts on my Truck... :)

Marv

Rmcgrath53

I would agree with all the comments about home depot. I am a retired union carpenter collecting a pension. My friend has been in the flooring industry a long time,way before she worked at home depot. Based on that information and not assumptions, I would trust her advise. The Alure looks pretty good.Most people in Home depot dont have experience to give advise.