Bike Rack

Does anyone have a solution for mounting a bike rack to the frame on the Big Horn.
Or is there one available as an aftermarket item?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
cmill, several people here have fabricated a reciever or had it done Your dealer may be able to help you or look for a hitch shop in your area. Most are welded to the two I-beams of the frame.
Peace
Dave

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Does anyone have a solution for mounting a bike rack to the frame on the Big Horn.
Or is there one available as an aftermarket item?

Check out these pics. I had my dealer fabricate this. Cost me around $300-$400 bucks. Well worth it to me.

Good luck,
Mark

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Great job. Do you ever get a hassle by the police, for the bikes hiding your plate?

No, never have. I will have to check our Landmark to see if the bikes hide the plate on it. The picks you saw were of our old 2006 Bighorn.

Mark

TXBobcat

Fulltime
These are some nice bike racks, but I saw one bike rack that was monunted on a Trail Air hitch. Someone on the forum had made one and I was intrested in seeing how it was made.

Those that have bikes, in what price range of bike are you using. I have one and it is rusting quite badly. I would be interested in a 3 speed bike I could ride and so could the DW.

BC

davebennington

I do not know if this is what you are refering to but try this link.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=2110&highlight=bike+rack

I made this rack and it wasn't very expensive.

Dave

jbeletti

TerryH made a pinbox mount for his bike rack too. Hm... Must be a moderator thing :)

Can all moderators weld?

Jim

davebennington

No not all moderators can weld, however I believe that Jim thinks they can walk on water (lol). Sorry Jim I could not help myself it's late and been a long day.

Dave

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Here is photos of the bike rack mount I made.

Attachments

• BR1.jpg
    BR1.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 317
  • BR2.jpg
    BR2.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 285
  • BR4.jpg
    BR4.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 279
  • BR5.jpg
    BR5.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 269

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Where did you guys get the bike racks?

Terry, give us some details on how you made your mount. What size is the angle and what did you use to mount the angles to the pin box. It looks different than the angle. 1/2" self taping bolts?

BC

Terry H

Staff member
Bob,

I bought my bike rack from a bike shop, the brand name is Saris. I fits in a 2 inch receiver. The angle cross bar and the mounting feet is 1.5". I think I used 3/8" X 1.5" Grade 8 bolts and nuts. I used brass fittings and pipe to make the air valve easier to access.

I will let you come and get a close look in Spring, Tx.

Triber

I took a look at the logistics of building a receiver on the back of my BH 3670 RL and then decided to install a receiver on the front of my '07 Dodge Cummins 3500. This works well for me. I can see the bikes on the rack in front of me and they do not interfere with the air flow or block the license plates. I don't like the idea of not being able to see the bikes in behind the rig and in fact have seen some bikes coming loose and being dragged behind the rig! I can remove take the bike rack off when not using it and it is a simple solution for me.

ccd001

I tried one of those ladder mounted bike rack and it was junk. I decided to take the front wheels off our 2 bikes to see if they would fit
in the basement storage area and both bikes fit. We have a 2008 BH
3055 and I still have plenty of room for the rest of our stuff, You might try this idea and you know you will save money and won't scratch up the paint on rear bumper area.
Clay D

aatauses

We took a different route and put a Yakima system on the roof of our TV. This has worked great for us and when we are not towing we can use the bike rakes to move our bikes to different areas to ride.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I just got home from the local bike shop. I was looking at the Yakima system. It was recomended to me at the Goshen rally. Nice setup, I think I will be getting that. I was parked next to Terry H at the rally and looked his pinbox mount over pretty good. I would go that route, but with my short bed truck it looks like the bikes will make contact with the cab. Great idea for a long bed.

Peace
Dave

Terry H

Staff member
Cookie,

I designed the pin box bike mount, so that it would not contact the cab of a shortbed truck. It helps that the bikes are narrower then the front cap.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Solve the bike carrying problem. Do like we did and get the folding bike that you store in your basement.