Weights don't add up

itsbeertime

My current fiver has a GVWR of 10,000lbs and a "published" hitch weight of 1,600lbs. I have a 2004 2500HD D/A with a GVWR of 9,200lbs. I'm looking at several Heartland models right now including a BH 3055RL, BC 2950RK and a BC 3250TS. Crunching my numbers on my truck I only have approx. 1,600lbs left for hitch weight.:( And on top of that, last time over the scales I was 220lbs over on my tuck. :( Anyone care to explain why I'm overweight and everyone is pulling things much bigger and heavier than me with no problems? (I know I know the answers I'm going to get to this question already...but...) I do NOT overload anything. I am very picky about weight.

Cat scale readings:

Truck, full fuel tank and me only =
Front axle 4100
Rear axle 3000
Truck total 7100

Truck with RV, mostly full fuel tank and family =
Front axle 4420
Rear axle 5000
Total truck weight 9420 (220 lbs over GVWR)
Trailer axles 8720
Total GCW 18140

I should add:

GCWR for truck 22000
GFAWR 4670
GRAWR 6084

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
To find the true weight of the trailer the truck has to be loaded the same way when it is weighed with and without the trailer. This doesn't seem to be the case as you state that the truck was weighed with full fuel and the GCVW weight with the trailer and truck the truck was mostly full so the figures are going to be a little off but using these figures I see the gross weight of the trailer as 11,040 lbs so the trailer seems to be 1040 lbs overweight. I arrive at this figure by subtracting the gross weight of the truck from the gross combined weight of the truck and trailer. Now if you subtract from the gross truck weight of the truck with the trailer hitched up of 9420 the weight of the truck with out the trailer of 7100 lbs it would appear that you have a pin weight of 2340 lbs. I am not sure why you say the weights don't add up, the fiver is 1040 lbs overweight with a pin weight of 2340 lbs. This would explain why your truck is over weight with the trailer hitched up. You don't say how much water was on board the trailer when you weighed the rig but water weighs 8.3 lbs. per gallon so maybe you could reduce the amount of water you travel with. You also don't mention the axle weight ratings of the trailer or the weight ratings of the tires you are running, or the individual axle weights of the trailer, all this has to be looked at to tell exactly what you must do to get the weight right for towing within the weight limits.

Don

itsbeertime

Thanks. I know it's not the perfect scenario for getting all the weights, what bothers me the most is the small amount I have available for pin weight.

I figure approx. 200lbs per person for themselves and their "stuff" (2 packrats). So that's another 600lbs (200 x 3 - not including me who was already weighed with the truck) that was added to the truck weight that comes off the total if trying to figure the trailer weight from this.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
I understand your problem itsbeertime. Unfortunately with a 2500 you are at the limits. I think you as well as I know the only solution to this problem. I know you see lots of 2500 models towing trailers bigger than yours and I do as well and we both know they are most likely overloaded. I am not trying to be the weight police, only stating the facts. You can see in the picture what I am towing with a 3500 and I am pushing the weights of this truck,yet I have seen a 2500 towing a Landmark.

Safe travels, Don

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Hmmmmmm... I really can't explain why you're overweight sooooo.. Let's see what options we can come up with to help you with your weight problem.

a) - leave the MIL at home:)
b) - move the beer to the back of the trailer:eek:
c) - Join weight watchersNone
d) - buy a bigger truck that can do what you want it to do :D
e) - all of the above;)

ct0218

A 2500, from any of the 3 major truck producers, just leaves very little capacity for pin weight. With my Landmark I am over my GCWR but not any of the other ratings (which is most likely where Don is at his limit also). I just keep culling - if I haven't used it in the last year or so, out it goes. Like it was stated above you can lose some weight, get a bigger truck, and I'll add to be very careful. I had a Ford 250 pass me on I-40 last week pulling a huge and obviously very heavy fiver at about 75 mph. I was going a little under 70 and solo. His truck was nose high too. Scary.

BobSue

You are getting numbers very similar to mine.

overloaded on total, but under on each axle.

If I knew that what I know now; I would have a 1ton dually.

The pin weights will ALWAYS be a lot higher than published. As you can see, yours are about 1000 lbs more than published. Same for mine.

Bottom line, we both need bigger trucks.

Maybe the feds will give us a bailout too. :rolleyes:

itsbeertime

Actually all the extra weight isn't from the pin. There were three more people in the truck also, along with all their "stuff". I guesstimate approx. 200 lbs per person including their "stuff", other than myself. So take 600 lbs off that pin weight figure