tri-pod support for the king pin??

aatauses

Hi--thanks to all for the help---we are now in the process of full timing with a BH 3670---need some help again---what are the pro/cons of a tri-pod for support under the king pin when parked (we will probably stay for a month or two at campgrounds)--should we get one of these supports?
Also---pro/cons on slide out supports? any information is appreciated. thanks
aatauses

Thanks for the responses so far---let me add that I am concerned about the 5er overhang and weight on it--that is whay I was thinking about the tri-pod support--not really concerned about interier movement (we do not notice that much)

Last edited:

jbeletti

Tripod - maybe.

Slide supports - not recommended.

If you do not have a Trailair pinbox, I'd say go for the tripod or even a bipod if you want to haul it in and out each time you setup. I got tired of doing it. Some say that it is effective even with the Trailair, others say it is not effective with it. To each his own.

Even better than a tripod are JT Strong Arms or equivalent stabilizers. They can really help make the trailer solid.

You should get lots of opinions on these topics :)

Jim

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have the Eliminator stabilizers which look and work like the JT stabilizers but cost much less. The Eliminator is available at Camping World and mount the same way. Since we got the Eliminator, we don't even carry the tri-pod anymore. Less weight to carry too.

Delaine and Lindy

I would never put a support under the slides. I have a King pin stablizer but don't even travel with it. If done very little as for as I'm concerned, but some think it really helps? The jack system we now have is all hydraulic and when the 6 jacks are done I raise the frame up just enough to take some weight off the air ride suspension and it takes a lot of movement out of the 5er. I really don't think you can take all the movement out unless you block and shim under the frame. I had a center screw type jack stand that I put just in front and in the rear of the tires and that took a lot of movement out of the 5er and the cost was much less that all the other gadgets you can buy. GBY.....

beasleyrl

I'll 2nd the JT Strong Arms. We put them on towards the end of last season. They work great and I don't have to haul that tripod around. I'll make you a great deal on the tripod if you want to come get it! :)

Ratowns

I use the block and shim method and it works fairly well but I still get some shimmy when someone with heavy feet walks around in the living room or the washing machine get a little out of balance.
I have never used the tripod under the pin box. I was told it was a waste of time and money but that is strictly hearsay...

red4re

I have the all alluminum tripod - weighs less. It does help in stabilizing the trailer. I did a test parked on level concrete. Non-scientific - of course.

I put a full bowl of water on the vanity in the bathroom of our Sundance. I put my arms against two walls and started rocking the trailer back and forth. Water splashed out everywhere. Then I put the tripod in place and tightened her up. Again, I put the same full bowl of water in place and shook like before. The water barely flowed over the edge of the bowl onto the vanity. Yes - water still came out of the bowl. But not near as much and not nearly as violent. You can tell a difference but it does not eliminate shaking. In my opinion it is worth it. Plus, now I do not accidentally hit my head or back on the king pin, since the tripod is there.

I never use slide out supports. Afraid of the damage it would cause if a flat happened while supported. And yes - I woke up one morning and had a flat once.

Hope this helps

Red

SmokeyBare

A Tri-pod is a pain in the *** to store when traveling.

The Stabilizers are always stored (attached) when traveling. They don't wear out... they do create one more step when setting up and breaking camp. You need to remember to tighten or loosen the screws before raising or lowering the front legs or the rear stabilizer jacks.

Tri-pod helped take some of the movement out when parked but the stabilizer took far more of the movement out. I've never used any of the Tire devices that are marketed... so I've no opinion about them...

We normally use a tripod but on the trip we are on now thru NM and Az for about 6 weeks we left the tripod in storage back in Texas. We are full timers and thought just for a few days here and there we would try it without tripod. I do feel more movement so next time we will take tripod with us and spend a few minutes setting it up.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've got Ultra-Fab stabilizers on our rig and have never had a tripod. I also put two center screw jacks mid-ship on the frame and use BAL X-chocks between the tires. Pretty stable in my opinion. My brother-in-law has a bipod for his SOB 5'er and swears AT it, rather than BY it. I've also heard that stands under the slides are not recommended.

As for forgetting to loosen the stabilizers when breaking camp, that's not a real concern. Unless you've got remote jacks, you're standing right on top of the front ones when you operate the switch to retract the jacks. Same for the rear ones. You can't help but see them.

Rrloren

I bought stabilizers from Winfield RV Products that require NO drilling. They did a good job of stabilizing our Sundance. I was turned away from the tripod from the comments offered by most people that had them.
The Winfield products can be installed with simple wrenches in under 2 hrs.
Just another option.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
---let me add that I am concerned about the 5er overhang and weight on it--that is whay I was thinking about the tri-pod support--not really concerned about interier movement (we do not notice that much)

I am not sure if the previous posts are addressing the OP's question.
The OP states "not really concerned about interier movement (we do not notice that much)".

To answer both questions, No, the overhang (5th wheel part of the body) does not need to be supported when parked nor do the slides.

The Tripod, Bipod and JT Strongarms are used to remove movement of the trailer when people are moving around inside.

What you might watch is the entry steps. If you have the 4 step, you might keep a watch on the steps. Some are putting a support under the bottom step. Others that have had the problem might jump on that subject.

BC

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I am not sure if the previous posts are addressing the OP's question.
The OP states "not really concerned about interier movement (we do not notice that much)".

To answer both questions, No, the overhang (5th wheel part of the body) does not need to be supported when parked nor do the slides.

The Tripod, Bipod and JT Strongarms are used to remove movement of the trailer when people are moving around inside.

What you might watch is the entry steps. If you have the 4 step, you might keep a watch on the steps. Some are putting a support under the bottom step. Others that have had the problem might jump on that subject.

BC

I second this...NEVER use slide supports...if something shifts or drops you will cause damage to the slide.

As for the tri-pod, it's not needed. 5th wheels are designed to handle all weight of the front overhang on the landing gear...nothing else is required...since you don't want it for movement...you don't need it to hold the front up.

My opinion, the tripod kingpin support is worth its weight in gold, and then some. The only con I have is the storage of it, but other than that, it’s great! Camper is way more stable now!

Charlie
2017 Heartland Elkridge E292
2015 F250 Lariat FX4 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I've been thinking about getting a tripod.

I use the screw-up jacks under the axles sometimes to help stabilize, but they are a major PITA to set up (gotta crawl under the slides).

As for slide-out supports, you shouldn't need them with a 5'ver, but when I had my Heartland Trail Runner TT I swore by them.

I loved 'em and would buy them again if I ever find myself with another bumper pull TT!

If you think about it, should you have a flat I and you have slide-out supports up, chances are the trailer's stabilizers will also be down, so the flat shouldn't affect the slide at all.

Of course, with the stabilizers down you would never notice a flat until you put the stabilizers up, which should mean that the slide-out jacks have already been taken out (these should always be removed first).

TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095153310.jpg TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095110323.jpg

That big slide-out needed the stabilizers when more than two people were in the dinette.

We don’t use anything on the slides, just the kingpin. We feel very little movement when inside, love my tripod!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

The tripod is the worst purchase I ever made for my 5th wheel. I have the 6 point auto level and it (tripod) does absolutely nothing.

Thread necromancy, 8 years old.

Mrsfish

I've been thinking about getting a tripod.

I use the screw-up jacks under the axles sometimes to help stabilize, but they are a major PITA to set up (gotta crawl under the slides).

As for slide-out supports, you shouldn't need them with a 5'ver, but when I had my Heartland Trail Runner TT I swore by them.

I loved 'em and would buy them again if I ever find myself with another bumper pull TT!

If you think about it, should you have a flat I and you have slide-out supports up, chances are the trailer's stabilizers will also be down, so the flat shouldn't affect the slide at all.

Of course, with the stabilizers down you would never notice a flat until you put the stabilizers up, which should mean that the slide-out jacks have already been taken out (these should always be removed first).

View attachment 56641 View attachment 56640

That big slide-out needed the stabilizers when more than two people were in the dinette.

john- if you are serious about getting a tripod let me know. I have one we NEVER use and I would be happy to sell it to you cheap.. could bring it to one of the upcoming rallies

carl.swoyer

Tripod - maybe.

Slide supports - not recommended.

If you do not have a Trailair pinbox, I'd say go for the tripod or even a bipod if you want to haul it in and out each time you setup. I got tired of doing it. Some say that it is effective even with the Trailair, others say it is not effective with it. To each his own.

Even better than a tripod are JT Strong Arms or equivalent stabilizers. They can really help make the trailer solid.

You should get lots of opinions on these topics :)

Jim
I agree the slide support is not necessary , and it can actually cause damage

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

Do not use the king pin tripod support unless we are using the washer/dryer combo. Then it is worth its weight in gold!