Trouble filling fresh water tanks

steves

When ever I fill the fresh water tanks, it takes about 20 gal or so and then I start seeing back pressure. It then almost becomes impossible to complete the fill. I have read some postings with similar issues. Is this a common problem. I have a 2009 Oakmont. Also, should I be aware of the sagging tank issue?

Thanks,

Steve

jnbhobe

You probably have a venting issue, do a search for water tank venting. The vent line is too low. JON;););)

2010augusta

Steve, I would take a look "behind the wall" and see how the fill and vent lines are ran. their could be a trap the is preventing the tank from venting.

tmcran

I had the same problem. Just got a new 2998RB 3 weeks ago. I noticed after putting in 20 gals or so water came back through the vent hose. I returned it to the dealer and they fixed it. The hose had a low spot that prevented the tank from filling. After adjusting the the hose was fixed.

Arkansas1

Past Arkansas Chapter Leaders
Steve,
I have an 2009 Augusta, that had the same issue, the problem for me was a plumbing issue in which the fill hose was kinked up and would only allow a certain amount of water in and then the pressure would back up, the fix from my dealer was to reroute the line and put a manual by-pass valve to fill the tanks, no more problems so far, hope this helps :) .
Mike

Duramax1

I experienced the same problem. When I looked inside the basement of the trailer I discovered that the venting tube was kinked quite badly.

The dealer straightened out the venting tube but I have not yet been out to see if that was the cause of my problem.

I hope that it was, it would seem logical

lhetsler

Blocked vent tube

That happened on my 3670 Bighorn. I took it to the dealer once and it worked for about 2 weeks. I was going to take it back again, but I discovered that if I hold the filler hose tight against the intake neck it will blow the water out of the vent tube and fill just fine. You can also just blow air into the vent tube. Most of us carry an air pump. Maybe some day I will dig into it and fix it, but it really isn't much of a problem.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Thought we fixed this issue Heartland!

Well here I go,

I have been on this forum for many years now and cannot believe this issue is creeping back. Early on in the 2005-2006 years this seemed to be a popular problem then it seemed to quietly go away. Now it seems we get to revisit. Sorry to be venting on you all (pardon the pun) but Heartland has made great strides in their quality and I just hate to see something so ridiculously simple is getting overlooked again by their employees on the floor.

Done.

Last edited:

boatdoc

Well here I go,

I have been on this forum for many years now and cannot believe this issue is creeping back. Early on in the 2005-2006 years this seemed to be a popular problem then it seemed to quietly go away. Now it seems we get to revisit. Maybe Heartland re-hired those numskulls that caused this way back when. Sorry to be venting on you all (pardon the pun) but Heartland has made great strides in their quality and I just hate to see something so ridiculously simple is getting overlooked again by their employees on the floor.

Done.

Mark, I have to agree with you. Our 09' 3670 had/has this same problem. I took it back when I first tried to fill but as customary the fix was short lived. Now I just keep a 3' piece of 3/8 rubber tubing in the UDC and just blow out the vent line when it does "it's thing". To simple to do, to get worked up over it. My theory on this problem is the water splashes into the vent while heading down the road and filling the vent line "so full" still letting it vent enough to use the fresh water system but when filling it is not open enough to vent properly.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
One thing to keep in mind, if you force fill the fresh water tank, be sure you have air coming from the vent line. If air is not coming out you either have a vent or fill line leak or disconnected somewhere OR you stand a chance of doing damage somewhere. I agree about this being a long term issue and it should have been resolved by now. Why not consider less flexible tubing such as 1" or larger pex for a fill line and 1/2" pex for venting and attach it so that it doesnt have the ability to sag.