Spare tire holder

fyermn

I have a Bighorn 2925RK, and the spare tire is located under the rear part of the trailer. Their are two pieces of angle-iron holding up the spare. Just looking at them, they seem to dip some from either the weight of the spare, or just from going over bumps in the road.
I am planning to put on a heavier spare tire, and I am worried that what I have now will not hold the extra weight. Has anyone had this problem, and how did you solve it?

Clint

Ours has the same problem that you described, it looks like there is to much tire and not enough material holding it up. Ours is spanning about 8 ft. w/ no center support, which probably wouldn't be needed if a heavier angle iron had been used. I'm having ours beefed up or rebuilt and moved towards the axle, which I'm hoping will prevent any dragging while going through any dips or gutters.

fhollan

Same Thing!

I had the same problem back in 07 while on a trip to Michigan. Noticed the spare was hanging somewhat uneven. Seemed like one of the nuts came loose, probably due to going through a construction site. Also found that I had the wrong size tire as a spare.

You guys are right. The material holding the spare is weak.