Timbrens Installed

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Well, finally got a warm, dry day to lay out on the driveway and install the Timbrens. Not all that difficult other than trying to get wrenches in position enough to be able to use them. And if you're installing them on a 2009 GMC 3500HD dually D/A, forget the big rubber washer, it makes the assembly too long. You will need to either set the bracket in a vise or use a cheater bar in it to tighten the bolt that holds it all together. And get yourself four more of the large fender washers for mounting the brackets. The holes in the frame for the original bumpers are oversized and rely on the flanged nuts to hold them. The heads on the supplied hex bolts are just a tad small for properly bridging the opening. Took less than a hour to install.

Delaine and Lindy

Just wondering why you need Timbrens on a GM 1 ton dually. Out pin weight on our 5er is just under 4,000 lbs and when towing the Chevy is level. I did put a set on a 2500HD but after one trip took them off did not like the jolt when not towing and hit a ruff place in the road. Hope they work for you, yes they are easy to install. GBY....

JohnDar

Based on the majority opinion, it seemed like the right thing to do. I'm trying to get some of my accessories lined up before hand. If it ends up being not such a good thing, I can easily replace the OEM bumpers and CraigsList the Timbrens. Wouldn't be the first "pricey" lesson I've ever learned:eek:

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Ask KatKen about them. When properly installed, they are supposed to be transparent. I've got them on mine and they don't seem to interfere with unloaded driving.

vangoes

I have put them on my last two trucks and they work great in my opinion. If installed as instructed with the 3/4 inch space they are transparent when truck is not loaded..........no effect on empty ride. When loaded, they give support reducing truck swag significantly and eliminates the trampoline bounce from dips and bumps. I have not used the donut spacer on either of my trucks because it would reduce the empty spacing to 1/4 inch or less. The spacing is imperative to satisfactory performance.

JohnDar

FWIW, I drove around today (empty, no trailer :() and hit a few bumps. No noticeable difference in the ride with the Timbrens on. There's about an inch of clearance between the bottom of the Timbrens and the pads on the axle.

Dmaxcc6spd

I tried the Timbrens and found the empty ride unacceptable. I called the manufacturer for some advice and followed their reccommendations and still found the ride unpredictable and harsh. Speed bumps could rip your spine out!

I ended up sending them back and getting Air Ride air bags. Big improvement! No difference empty and very smooth loaded with about 35 psi.

Just my .02!

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
I tried the Timbrens and found the empty ride unacceptable. I called the manufacturer for some advice and followed their reccommendations and still found the ride unpredictable and harsh. Speed bumps could rip your spine out!

I ended up sending them back and getting Air Ride air bags. Big improvement! No difference empty and very smooth loaded with about 35 psi.

Just my .02!

Ditto on the air bags. I find them to be a much smoother ride also.