Log off parameters

Peteandsharon

Hey Jim B.

I guess this message is primarily for you. I have had several instances in the past where I would try to respond to a message. Maybe I took too long to wordsmith the response but when I submitted it, I was told that I did not have authority to submit. I would then have to cut and paste my message, into a new message after going through the exercise of logging back in. In several of these cases it seemed to me that I got logged off pretty quickly. Is this done based on time of "inactivity" and if so, can we tweak this parameter? Thanks.

Pete

jbeletti

Hi Pete,

No more coffee breaks for you when posting! Just kidding :)

I found the setting:

Session Timeout
This is the time in seconds that a user must remain inactive before their login session expires. This setting also controls how long a user will remain on Who's Online after their last activity.

I changed it from 900 seconds to 1800 seconds. So now you have 30 minutes before your session times out.

Jim

Peteandsharon

Thanks Jim. That should be helpful. Having said that, though, I find it very hard to believe that I was "inactive" for 15 minutes before when this happened. Again, this has happened on several occasions. I would assume that inactivity means that you don't navigate from one spot to another on the site. So if you open up a thread and start reading down the list of responses and then decide to respond yourself....... maybe you could exceed the 15 minute limit........ I guess. Maybe I just need to take a speed reading course or limit my responses to brief grunts. I'm just surprised that this hasn't been a problem for more people. Oh well, thanks again.

Pete

truknutt

Committed Member
Pete,

Not sure if this is your exact problem but....I had the same problem eons ago & LK told me to remember to check the block "REMEMBER ME" next to my Username EACH time I log on. I haven't been kicked off since.

Hope this helps.

talley

Jim... I have had the same problem recently as well as in the past in responding to PMs. I assume that the adjustment you made affects all members on the forum and is not individual. If it is effective forum-wide I hope it will resolve the problem I have experienced.

Thanks

jbeletti

Talley and Bobby A,

The setting is "system wide", not by user. So everyone was updated at the same time.

So everyone is clear on what this change was, it was for the period of time you can be in the process of composing a message/reply on the forum before your session times out.

Jim

techman

I would assume that inactivity means that you don't navigate from one spot to another on the site. So if you open up a thread and start reading down the list of responses and then decide to respond yourself....... maybe you could exceed the 15 minute limit........ I guess.
Pete

That's correct, Pete. The server only knows the time you request data from the server. Once you get the thread to your PC you read it all locally on your PC. The next activity the server sees is when you request more data from the PC. (Watch the spinning "actvity" icon on your browser.) If the server doesn't see another request within 30 minutes it will close the link. The easiest thing to do is check 'Remember Me' when you log in and it will keep you logged in until you 'Log Out'.

Peteandsharon

Thanks Mike. Yeah, I was pretty comfortable with what constituted activity. What seemed strange to me at the time was that I really didn't believe that it was 30 minutes or even 15 minutes at the time between DB requests. It seemed much shorter than that. I must have been hallucinating, I guess. Good to know about the "remember me" setting though. Thanks again.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well, I guess I am still the odd ball.
I have never been kicked off. I have my access to remember my password and log me on automatically. When I make many posts I will actually write my post in MS Word. Need the spell checker. I can’t spell kat. Then I copy it to the Notepad to remove any formatting characters, then copy to the message area for the post.

During the composition time I have never been signed out and have to log back in.
One thing is that a lot of people type slowly and make long posts. I don’t know if that will make a difference. I actually don’t think I have taken longer than a few minutes to make a post. Never taken 30 minutes.
FWIW
BC