Routing of the Fresh Water Hose

While camping in 10 degree weather, my fresh water hose between the tank and the pump froze. After looking I think the fresh water hose is resting on the metal frame. Has anyone else had this problem? What is the best cure?:confused:

ludwigdavid

David & Diana
While camping in freezing weather let the water trickle and it will not freeze, assuming you have full hook up. I have done this many times with no problem.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When letting the water drip remember to keep an eye on how full your holding tank is.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
A co-worker of mine (with a SOB) left his water running in the kitchen sink recently. He had his gray tank valve open, so as not to fill the tank and just let it drain as it trickled. He had no heat trace nor insulation on the drain line outside...it froze, the tank filled, the sink overflowed , and he awoke to a helluva mess! Same guy bought a couple of gallons of the pink RV anti-freeze - while here in Wyoming, preparing to winterize upon his return to Utah. A couple of days later, in the back of his truck, both gallons of ANTI-freeze were frozen solid as rock!

This being said, I've had no problems (knock on wood) with anything freezing on the CYCLONE! While adding the insulation underneath, I do remember seeing the lines from the tank running through the frame and touching the steel. I suggest adding a skirt; it keeps the cold wind out from the bottom near the lines. And, if you're gonna make a habit of extreme cold weather camping, drop the underbelly and add insulation! Works for me! :)

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
A co-worker of mine (with a SOB) left his water running in the kitchen sink recently. He had his gray tank valve open, so as not to fill the tank and just let it drain as it trickled. He had no heat trace nor insulation on the drain line outside...it froze, the tank filled, the sink overflowed , and he awoke to a helluva mess! Same guy bought a couple of gallons of the pink RV anti-freeze - while here in Wyoming, preparing to winterize upon his return to Utah. A couple of days later, in the back of his truck, both gallons of ANTI-freeze were frozen solid as rock!

What were the ouside temps? I've done the trickle down to -10 and never had a line freeze.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
One of these days, if I ever get the ambition, I would like to remove the entire underbelly and inspect the whole kit'n'kaboodle. Who ever came up with that word anyway? I would drop the fresh tank and re-plumb it with something more rigid, maybe pvc for both the vent and fill lines from the tank to the UDC. Check and repair/lube as needed, the black and grey tank valves, check the sensors and other wiring and wire tie as needed. It would be a several day project but at least I would know first hand what I had under there and that it would hopefully eliminate any future problems just waiting to surface. Our fresh water line had froze a couple of years ago. I got through it by using the winterizing hose from the pump to suck water from a bucket in the basement that was being heated by a small space heater. The frozen line would thaw during the day when it was a little warmer but would refreeze at night when the temps got into the teens. At the 2007 rally, Recreational Specialties said there was a slight kink in the hose that appeared to be where it might have been freezing. We haven't had any trouble since but haven't been in any temps in the teens either.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member

This being said, I've had no problems (knock on wood) with anything freezing on the CYCLONE! While adding the insulation underneath, I do remember seeing the lines from the tank running through the frame and touching the steel. I suggest adding a skirt; it keeps the cold wind out from the bottom near the lines. And, if you're gonna make a habit of extreme cold weather camping, drop the underbelly and add insulation! Works for me! :)
I thought the underbelly was insulated....guess i have task ahead of me! Any pics of the dog? Here's my boy 'Dallas' 135lbs and no fat.

Attachments

• Dallas.jpg
    Dallas.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 26

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
What were the ouside temps? I've done the trickle down to -10 and never had a line freeze.

Don't remember exactly but between 20 & 30 below :eek: during that time! If he had only heat traced his drain line...

Glad Spring is around the corner. :)

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I thought the underbelly was insulated....guess i have task ahead of me! Any pics of the dog? Here's my boy 'Dallas' 135lbs and no fat.

My underbelly is insulated...now! I believe they are normally heated where the water lines run, but not insulated between the underbelly and the floor. I knew I was going to need the extra, coming to Wyoming through the winter.

Here's a couple of Chopper!

Attachments

• HT 030.JPG
    HT 030.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0340.jpg
    IMG_0340.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 30