leaking behind plate bracket bighorn

MFL

I had a leak in the back of the 5 wheel went to dealer 5 times dealer
tried everything to fix problem, I removed the plate bracket no gasket
no caulking, big hole were the wires come from , water was going in hole
and going inside fifth wheel also look under 5 wheel you will see water come out from the bottom, you may not have water inside but look in the bottom
of your 5th wheel your panel my rot. hearthland builds a great 5 th wheel
but they do a poor job it the minor no cost details that need to be done.

1. lower panels bolts not tight, and not enough bolts.
2. wires under slides not very well done, need straps.
3.wire holes need foam filling.
4.black foam along bottom very lousy job, i add alumin for support
5. closet latches no good replaced with new ones
6.sewer hose compartment useless, made my own with a tube and bolted with angle iron.
7. spare tire held on with one bolt ea. side added more bolts

Many more little items, i do love the 5 th wheel i wish they would take the time to correct some of these issues.

jbeletti

MLF, what product line is it?

MFL has a 2006 BH 3600RL. This unit is 4 production years old. Not sure if the previous owners installed a different license plate bracket or did a remount of the OEM unit. For what it is worth, I will pass this on to plant 2 production (LM/BH/BC) and ask them to ensure that we do use provided seals or do our own etc.

Thanks MFL for letting us know.

Jim

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
MLF, my Horn had 1/2" hole drilled for the wires to go through. The factory light covers the hole pretty well. Even at that any water that got in there would just run down the cap and on the ground. The rear cap is a long way out from the rear wall of the coach. Did someone change the license plate lite and bracket? Just wondering. Bob:D

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, if there is water leaking inside the coach, then I believe it may be coming from somewhere else. As I recall there is a space between the rear cap and the rear wall. If water were to leak around the license bracket it would just run down the inside surface of the rear cap, then out the bottom. Just my thoughts.
Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Not sure if I totally understand your problem. But there is water around the license plate is it there all of the time or only when it is raining. If when raining then the top of the rear cap (where it attaches to the roof) may need caulking. Water could get in there and run down the inside of the rear cap. I don't see how it could be there all of the time as to my knowledge there is no water line that runs there.

MFL

The bracket the holds the lic plate is orginal factory, there was a hole the size of a quater for the wires for the lic. plate light, everytime it rain water went inside the hole, and run along the frame ,and drain inside back of 5thwheel and drain under the 5th wheel we had 3 inches of rain no more leaks, i put a gasket behind the bracket and sealed the hole, problem solved,