Michelin XPS RIBS 235 85/16

jcochran

I want to get the mission tires of off my 3055RL and would like to replace them with 235 85/16. The tires on there now are 235 80/16. I read that someone else did this with no problem. Is it ok? Also what is the torque measurement in ft/lbs for the lug nuts?

grizzlygiant

I put Goodyear G614 235/85R16 tires on my Bighorn 3400 and also on my Sundance 2800 and have never looked back. Be sure to get steel/brass valve stems!

ChopperBill

I put on the RIB 245/75's The 235's would have made the tires too close together. I just have room for my Bal Chocks as it is. The 245's are a little smaller in diameter and will give more rotations per mile but that dosent seem to be a concern after around two years of towing. Dont second guess Michelin's and get e'm on as soon as possible! Peace of mind is worth the price.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
When I picked up my Bighorn 3400RE, I went to Discount Tire and changed out all 5 tires with 5 LT235/85R16E1 XP Rib's. It had 3 Mission and 2 Freestar.

I have a Pressure Pro Monitor system on my trailer and truck. Have never had a problem. I keep my lugs torqued to 110 ft lbs. I also replaced all lug nuts with solid metal lug nuts. They are also taller (deeper or what ever) than the original lug nuts. I also use a clicker torque wrench and a 3" extension.

P.S. If you purchase a trailer tire it will be an ST.. Special Trailer.. Speed rating of a maximum of 65mph. Stay with the XP Rib or a good quality LT.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I found this information, in case anyone is intrested...
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoSeparationAnxiety.dos

Part of the document:
FAILURE ANALYSIS
Even properly rated tires can fail. The No. 1 cause is underinflation. This is particularly true of an ST tire, which relies on proper inflation to live up to its load rating. Without enough air pressure, an ST sidewall will not function as designed, and will eventually fail, usually in the form of a sidewall blowout. Tires lose approximately 1 psi per month as well as 1 psi for every 10-degree drop in temperature.

Overinflation is also hard on a tire, causing irregular wear and possibly a blowout. Yet, you can't always spot improper inflation with a visual inspection, so check your tires frequently with an accurate air-pressure gauge.

Long-term fatigue can also weaken a trailer tire. There are a number of factors that accelerate fatigue, but heat buildup from towing at high speeds is one of the main culprits, according to Fry.

"If you trailer nonstop from Phoenix, Arizona, to Las Vegas, in 100-degree temperatures at 65 mph, you use up much of the resources of that tire, and you don't realize it," said Fry.

Fry is not talking about wearing out the tread. It is the tire's construction that is breaking down. As heat builds up, the tire's structure starts to disintegrate and weaken. Over the course of several trips, this load-carrying capacity gradually decreases, according to Fry. Incidentally, all ST tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph.

One key to extending tire life on a tandem- or tri-axle trailer is to ensure that the trailer is riding level, thus distributing the load equally among all the tires. If the trailer tongue sits too high, the rear tires may bear the brunt of the load: with the trailer tongue too low, the front tires may be unduly stressed.