New Owners.....Maiden Voyage experience...

sjarrell

Success through Design
Good day all, My wife and I took the plunge and purchased a new 5ver. It will be our first Camper. I ordered a 2010 North Trail 28BH. Looks like we will be picking it up on the 11th of April. I have gotten over the buyers remorse and am now full of anticipation. I chose the 5ver due to the head room and we would like to go long distances so I thought it would tow better. I have never towed anything this high before. Plenty of large boats and car trailers, so I am a little nervous about that aspect. Just wanted to say hello, since I have been reading this forum for a few months.

-Steve

jimtoo

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Heartland Forum and Family. Here on the forum you will find lots of good information and lots of great people.

Now you need to think about joining us for the Owners Rally in Goshen and also about becoming a member of the owners club.

I'm sure you will enjoy your new toy and they tow like a dream.

Jim M

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulation on being a proud owner of the 5ther and welcome to the forum. This is a great place in get all kind of information as well as helpful hints and ideas. If you haven't pulled a 5th wheeler, I would suggest going to a large parking lot, like a high school lot after hours, and get the feel of turning and backing. Long time ago when I was 14 years old, my horseback riding instruction took me to the local school lot and turned me loose. Boy did I learn alot about what not to do or where to go pulling a goose neck trailer. Lessons well learned that has stuck with me for over 45 years.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Congratulations on your new North Trail. Try and attend the national rally in Goshen if you can. I think there are a few more slots left. Also don't forget to join the owners club. It will get you a discount on the rally. Once again welcome.

talley

Jarrell... you are already on the right track by visiting and reading this forum. I started out a little over two years ago with the same concerns you expressed. My towing experienced was mainly with a trailered 20' boat. In these two years have towed our 38' Bighorn from Texas to California to Florida. Many tips from this forum have provided comfort and reassurance where there may have been doubt. Recommend you continue to participate in the forum and establish a consistent "connect and disconnect" procedure. It seems to me that some of the most disasterous situations can come from what seems to be a simple process. The SEARCH feature of the forum will provide good information and tips from previous posts on these procedures and many others.

Good luck and safe travels in your new coach.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Steve, Welcome to the Heartland family & Forum. Congrats on the new 5th wheel. Quite a first step! My wife has some family in Meriden, CT and she used to live in Old Lyme. We met while I was stationed in Groton. 40 years ago:eek:. Anyway, welcome and travel safe!

sjarrell

Success through Design
Thank you all for the kind words. I am getting pretty excited about picking up our new vacation home on wheels. I would love to do the Goshen rally but my 8 year old will still be in school until the 23rd of June. One of the requirements for the 5ver was it had to have bunk beds, my sons request. Anyway, I was planning on going down to the local highschool with my 4 parking cones and practicing with the 5ver. I am more concerned about the height, but I am sure with proper planning it will not be an issue. So do we have any CT based owners? I would like to discuss the local camp ground offerings. Again thank you for the kind welcome.

-Steve

DntDctr

Hey Steve,
I have the Sundance twin to your 28bh. I too never towed a 5er until I picked it up to bring it home. It's not that much different going straight. Backing up and turning is alittle different, and takes practice. In so far as height, it seems like you towing a building but if you look around, ours are mid-profile and not as tall as others. Just seems it. Enjoy it and try to goto the PA rally in Aug. I'm going to try to be there with all the Big Horns.
Paul

sjarrell

Success through Design
So DntDctr, since you have the twin do you have any issues with the rear end of the trailer dragging on small inclines? I have a small dip at the end of my drivway and then it goes up 4 verticle feet over 80'. I am getting a little concerned about being able to get it in the driveway. I read a thread on RV.net about someone ripping off a jack and the pics he had were similar to my driveway.

DntDctr

Sorry Steve, I won't be able to answer that. My entry is rather flat. I will tell you I had a lot of fun backing it into the garage. I didn't hit anything but i'm sure glad my wife was there to spot me. I'll get better with practice.
Paul

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
So DntDctr, since you have the twin do you have any issues with the rear end of the trailer dragging on small inclines? I have a small dip at the end of my drivway and then it goes up 4 verticle feet over 80'. I am getting a little concerned about being able to get it in the driveway. I read a thread on RV.net about someone ripping off a jack and the pics he had were similar to my driveway.

Sjarrell i know of three ways you can help the rear height/ bottoming issues.
1st...make sure your 5th wheel is level and not sticking up in the front. The 5th wheel Pin is adjustable, I raised my Pin on the trailer 1" and lowered the hitch setting and gained 3" more clearance to the rear. My truck and trailer now sit level.
2... add roller wheels to the rear to the same height as the jacks.
3... costly but you can go with 16" wheels/ tires, the are 2.25" taller overall than the 15s" i have on mine.

sjarrell

Success through Design
I was thinking of the industrial casters on the rear. First I have to get it home to see if this is indeed an issue. If it is I am sure I will be refering back to the last post. thanks everyone.

lvogan

Hello Fellow Heartland Owners!
My husband & I just towed our new Big Country 2950RK home last week and we are so excited to get out on the road. Newly retired from the Feds (USFS) and we are looking forward to visiting many Nat'l. Parks and getting out of the snow in winter (like now). This is a BIG upgrade from our trusty Lance Campers we have traveled in for 20+ years. We are learning lots from all of you... thanks!! Now, if we could only finish getting it outfitted. It seems like we put a million items in & still have LOTS of empty cupboards. Imagine that won't last long! Loving the space... Larry & Julie
P.S. Appreciate the sewer hose info... we had a 15' one on order!

sjarrell

Success through Design
Just got back, 2799.7 miles total driving. 2K with the camper in tow. Man I love the 5ver for towing. Backing up is going to take a little getting use to. Well we took delivery on Good friday a RV wholesalers in Lakeview Ohio. I was missing a few things, I missed the form for the rear ladder. My alloy wheels were not on and the electric awning that was order is not sold with the 28BH per the reseller. So I was a little bumed but they made up for it and took the appropriate amounts off the final bill. After that we drove 370 miles to Giles WV where we stayed for 2 days. Found out fast that 2 deep cycle batteries are a must. then we towed it to Franklin NC, went mining for gems, I really recommend this especially gold city and the Mason Mine. then we drove to TN and when to Pigeonforge and Gaitlanberg. You could make a vacation out of them alone. then back to Giles WV, blew a tubo hose clamp and got stuck for an hour on the mountain side. After getting it fixed we finished that leg, stayed for 1 day then drove back to CT. I did really like cherokee NC, since I am part cherokee.......... All in all I love it. A few small things but otherwise well built. I might have a few suggestions for the North trail lines. Just small suggestions but otherwise it is a great product. I have to thank Preston at RV Wholesalers. He was great and offered everything I needed. I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone.

kampfirekid

I am so envious of you North Trail and Sundance fifth wheel owners. We wanted to get out of our hybrid last fall and bought a North Trail 31BHD travel trailer. We looked at the Sundance equivalent to the North Trail 28BH fiver - the 285BH? Anyway, I had a 2008 F-150 Supercrew that wasn't up to the task. I have been driving F-250 diesels since about 2000, and this time I went with an F-150 and the timing was off, so we passed on the fiver.

In March, I went back to an F-350 6.4L, and wish I'd have gotten the fiver. I have so many mod plans for this 31BHD that I hate to do them knowing I'll just want to upgrade to the fiver in a year or two. Could I not lose my pants selling this 31BHD travel trailer, I'd upgrade tomorrow, but the market is really slow. I pass the Sundance every day still sitting at the dealer,and wish there was some way.