Looking to Full Time in Bighorn

OK, basically all I am looking for at this time is negatives and positives of the Bighorn unit for full timing. We are almost ready to put our last piece of rental property up for sale and then we plan on ordering a fifth wheel for full timing. Most of the time we would be in the southwest part of the country for winters but of course plan on making trips elsewhere during spring, summer and fall. We can not even come close to affording the Landmark lione so they are out. I found the Bighorn by acident and am really impressed with what I saw, though I have not been in one yet, just saw the floor plans and descriptions on the net at the Heartland web site. I have done a very small amount of research and found that there are a few places where I am thinking we will be able to get a fairly decent deal. We have a Silverado 1-ton dually with the 8.1 Vortec engine, Allison tranny and of course the tow package and 4.10 axle ratio so I am sure we would be able to tow what we would be able to buy with that truck. I was awe struck at what they offer as standard. How is the warranty work if needed? If I were to buy our unit at a long distance dealer how does one go about getting any warranty work done closer to home or to where we would be at any time? How do you all like your Bighorns anyway? Any major things to be careful of with these units, things that the company needs to work on before we consider? I guess I have asked enough questions for now. Sorry for being such a rambler but I am very much interested in this unit for a full time fiver.

Graphic Queen

J

jjjelm

Hello.....We purchased our BH 3055RL in June. We have been 3/4 timers ( we have a mountain cabin) in a much smaller unit for the last 6 years and think the BH will give us more than enough room to be on the road 9 + months a year. The closet is huge, kitchen has lots of storage and floorplan allows space for relaxing, t.v., computer and projects. So far we have had no problems and everything works fine. We tow with a Chevy 3500 diesel dully. We purchased our BH at Lakeshore R.V. in Muskeegon, Mich. ( 1200 miles from home) and will have to get any work done at another dealer as a problem would likely occur while on the road rather while we are at the cabin for 2 to 3 months. Good Luck!! Wonderful Wyoming

HappyKayakers

DW and I have been fulltiming in our BH 3600RL since April of this year. This is our first RV of any type. After getting the initial problems corrected by the dealer, we've been very happy in this rig. Since we are fulltiming in it, we coordinated with the dealer and the factory to make sure we had all the bases covered for our maintenance in one trip. Both were very eager to get it fixed. As always, do a thorough PDI if you order one. If I had tried to turn on every light in the rig, a wiring problem in the computer area would've been discovered early on. Run water everywhere that it can be run to check for leaks. We found a leaking San-T-Flush which was fixed easily by the dealer but was very disconcerting to see when we first used it. We've only towed it 3 times but it handled well. Our TV is a Dodge 3500 CTD SRW. Even in Florida, our single AC has been sufficient to keep cool on an unshaded lot. We would order the same unit again with a couple exceptions. I would tell them to keep the heavy television, recliners, and sofa (with a suitable reduction in price) and I would order my own lightweight stuff.

J

Jim_1899

Cautious

:cool: In my opinion I think that you should only sell your home and personal belongings as long as you do not spend the money while full timing. Invest it so that you will have the option to return to a home, condo or assisted living home. I have a tentative plan to full time RV when I sell my home and move into a smaller home or RV when my kids are out of the house and it gets to be too much work. I plan to do this for just a year or two before moving back to a home. I wish you the best in your travelers!

AceMccool

We just bought a big horn 2011 3610re and we love it ;) 40.4 footer ,had them install the washer/dryer combo and lots of ectra stuff we wanted . As we will be full timming in 20 months,sold the stick house a few years back and just renting where i work for now..pulling it with a 2010 dodge 3500 ,dually 4.10 .long box .hardly new i was pulling it except for the price of diesle at the moment and fighting a head wind oh well!!but all has to be considered when going full time we will be doing this for many years and have made budgets ect so we know what and when we can retire and not get caught with inflation ect to ruin our plans, be prepared .boy scout motto lol
any hope this helps and happy camping .(insulation was our biggest concern and how well it was made ).as we are from canada up north and it gets cold ..35-40c sometimes so we wont be staying here but many do live here full time in them .crazy..lol

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I think we can help you here...we've been fulltiming in an '08 Bighorn 3600 RL since July of '07...and it has made a fantastic home!

We've been in temps over 100 and down to almost zero...no problems. With all the current improvements and upgrades, a new Bighorn would be an even MUCH better fulltime unit! If you decide on one, make sure to order dual pane windows, and don't let a salemen talk you out of it...trust me.

As for repairs, they've never been a problem, even under warranty as Heartland stood behind it even knowing full well we fulltimed...and NOW they are warranted, in writing, for fulltime use. Buying long distance isn't a problem...Heartland will put you in touch with a dealer if needed, and will if necessary, authorize a non-Heartland service center to make warranty repairs.

If you have any questions, just PM me...Go For It!!

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
We started looking at a BH and with the extras that we wanted, ie Generator, Washer/Dryer and leveling system we found out that the Landmark was far more cost effective than you may think. Don't rule out the Landmark just yet. Look at the differences in the units. Find floorplans you want and then go and get quotes. We did just that and We got a Landmark for way less than what we thought they would be.

Don't rule out the Landmark just because you think you can't afford it. Give it a shot first and then if you can't go for a Bighorn. Just my opinion if you are looking to full time. You can easily do it in either model. Good luck with which ever one you choose and enjoy it.

SmokeyBare

We bought our 3400-RL BigHorn from a dealer in Knoxville Tenn... Ours is a 2007 model which we ordered by way of a phone call to the dealer. We picked up our Horn late October 2006 and have lived in it every day since. Like many, we've made a few changes to ours... often referred to as Mods... Modifications... I have every bit of confidence we will have many years to come using our BigHorn.

Do your homework... read and ask questions as you work toward making the decision to go Full Time. Don't feel your alone out there once you are on the road. You'll be shocked at the numbers of folks who are living there dream on the road.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have been fulltiming in our BH for 4 months now. No major problems, except the brake issue, which we believe was caused by the delivery service before we received it.
The Heartland brand is 200% better than my previous SOB.
I need to find a good dealer (Right now I'm in Texas, going to Oklahoma next.), as I am not real pleased with mine service-wise. The people are nice enough, but they never seem to be able to FINISH the job. (Need parts,approval, yada,yada,yada.)

BTW, has anyone noticed this thread is over 5 years old??

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We've been full-timing in this Bighorn since January '09. We had an '07 before this one that we lived in since November '08. Like Ken and Kathy, any major problems have been taken care of by Heartland. We love our BIGHORN!!