Towing with a Classic car

olnavy

I am looking at using my 1975 Imperial LeBaron. I hope to go full time at some point, but for now would like to go to car shows on the east coast and pull a TT with it. The service manuals say it will pull 7400# with a weight distributing hitch. I have put a trany cooler and oil cooler on the car already. The car has a 440 with 4 wheel disks. We like the North Trail 31RED at 5434# or the 30RLSS at 6493# But GVW of this one is over my Imperial's limit of 7400#.
Has any one used or talked with people that us an old car for a tow vehicle?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I haven't used or talked with anyone about towing with older cars. I remember when I was a kid the old lead sleds and big ol' station wagons were used quite often for pulling camper trailers. I'm pretty sure they were heavier back then too. I think as long as your trans is up to the task (recent oil and filter screen change) and you've got the trans cooler already there, go for it. You might consider adding a trans temp gauge to be safe and keep an eye on the temps. That would be the first indication that a problem is starting when the temperature gets up in the 200's. I don't really know the temp range for your particular tranny. Good Luck.