Taller tires

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
How much effect will a taller diameter tire have on the towing limits of my truck. The truck currently has a set of 305/65/17 on it. The original equipment size is 265/70/17. There is around 1' difference in diameter. Is it true that the taller tire will change the final gear ratio? How about the handling? Any suggestions?

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere in this forum, but I can't find it.

Thaks
Jamie

Smokeyfl

A taller tire will make the drive train work harder when you put a load on the vehicle. It will also make your speedo and odometer wrong, unless the computer wes reprogrammed to compensate.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I believe that taller tires will lower your truck's towing capacity by raising the axle ratio. I'm not enough of a mathematician to know how much 1" taller tires will change the ratio. If your truck is in no danger from being overloaded, you may not have a problem.

sandman

Hey jwalker 1 inch you will never notice the difference if you go 5 inches yes you will notice but not 1 inch mine are 1 inch taller and i dont notice a thing.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You should not notice much difference. But have the speedo and/or ECM reprogrammed. In the grand scheme of things the 1" only is 1/2". Bob:D