I guess it go's here!!

boatdoc

The King size bed???? What have some of you come up with or have a suggestion to improve this wonderfull sleeping implement. The airbeds are out, way to spendy and we have tried the memory foam toppers on beds in the past and they were just to hot for us. Have they improved over the past 4 years or so. We'd like to find some sort of topper from yesteryear that wouldn't burn us up.
Just back from our stay in the S.W. desert and after being on this one for 7 weeks we're are ready to try something to help.
Thanks

flamingknitter

Have you thought about a feather topper? I think they breath better than the memory foam and you can find them at Overstock.com. I chose the memory foam since the "king size" mattress is kind of a non-standard size. I had to cut about 4 inches off the bottom. Many of the better hotels are using the feather toppers.

HRAI

Memory foam for me

My parents have bought one and so have we. We bought the one from Wal-Mart and it's great.

HRAI

sandman

Hey boatdoc flamingknitteris right, try a feather topper we have used one for a long time and they are wonderful and they dont make you sweat. We got rid of our original matress that came with the coach and boughtva pillowtop matress and added a feathertop and what a wonderful sleep its better that our matress in our house lol so hope that helps a little.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also trashed the mattress that came with the camper and bought a pillowtop from one of those discount places. Also like Sandman we had bought a feathertop from Linen and Things (before they went out of business) and now rest in peace.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Gary, I understand your way of thinking on the airbeds. We looked at it as an investment in our potential for getting a better nights sleep. Plus, we're full time so that was also a factor in our decision. We got the king select comfort from Camping World on sale for 1200 with free shipping last year. There went the stimulus check! It was one of the best decisions we made. When we decide to quit full timing we'll bring it with us. I really wish we could bring it with us when we go visit our kids for an overnight stay at their house. hopefully you'll find something that works good for you.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Gary, I understand your way of thinking on the airbeds. We looked at it as an investment in our potential for getting a better nights sleep. Plus, we're full time so that was also a factor in our decision. We got the king select comfort from Camping World on sale for 1200 with free shipping last year. There went the stimulus check! It was one of the best decisions we made. When we decide to quit full timing we'll bring it with us. I really wish we could bring it with us when we go visit our kids for an overnight stay at their house. hopefully you'll find something that works good for you.

Did you say 'QUIT FULL TIMING'...perish the thought:p

Tom of Ypsi

There is a sleep number bed store here in the RGV, McAllen, that I am going to visit before we leave from down here. Hopefully there is a size that fits so I can get a decent nights sleep. If we are going to keep our Classic we may as well sleep in it good.

Ray LeTourneau

There is a sleep number bed store here in the RGV, McAllen, that I am going to visit before we leave from down here. Hopefully there is a size that fits so I can get a decent nights sleep. If we are going to keep our Classic we may as well sleep in it good.
Tom, do you have a King bed now? We checked out the sleep number store here before we bought from CW. They didn't have the size we needed to fit our opening. We tried a queen out for size but with Suzi and now this cat, 2 adults and their fur kids need the space of a king. You on the other hand? I think the queen was about $600.
Jim, we have no 'plan' to quit full timing. If we go broke due to the economy we may have to start boondocking at Walmart though.:eek:

jbeletti

Tom,

At one point, Camping World had an exclusive on the Sleep Number RV King whereas the RV Queen was available from CW and Sleep Number (online). Hope that has changed. There is a CW in McAllen I think.

See you in a few weeks!

Jim

jbeletti

I understand JimToo is opening a boondocking lot at his place.;)

Boondocking :eek: Heck, he's got extension cords and a water hose and you can trickle your gray tanks onto the ground ;) These are nearly full-hookup pull through spots. I even got breakfast and dinner at the office :D

Did I add enough smilies to this post?

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Boatdoc,
I understand about being afraid of being too hot on a foam topper. We were afraid of that too, but we had to do something because my back just couldn't take it. It urns out that the foam isn't too hot afterall. We have a light feather comforter, the sheets, a good mattress pad and the three inch topper. The whole thing comes in just under the little "night stands". We bought the topper and comforter from Smartbargains.com.
Kristy

Tom of Ypsi

Ray & Jim,

I will check out both CW and the Sleep Number Store. We do have a king size bed and I do have a $25 certificate for CW I got from them for filling out an online survey, 2 minutes for twenty five bucks, not too bad.

Ray we are with you as far as fulltiming goes, if we go broke we will boondock but not at Walmart. I read the other day where Walmart is stopping boondocking at some stores because too many people are taking advantage of them. They claim that some people who have lost their houses but retained an rv are using Walmarts as their residence. Not good for any of us.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I talked to someone at Camping World the other day and asked him how difficult it would be to install the Sleepcomfort bed in a trailer. He informed me it was quite a complicated project and should not be attempted unless you are quite capable. That was not his exact words but has the same meaning...

jbeletti

Bob,

I have one and while I did not install it, I would not think it would be a difficult job to do. I can see it taking 2 or 3 hours of labor to take your time and do it right. Take a look at mine in Houston at the rally and make notes :)

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

I found the sleep number bed to be a very easy assembly. Lin & I did it together and for sure it's a 2 person job. It took us about an hour which included locating the pump up under the head of the bead below the platform. Aside from that, I re-enforced the perimeter of the platform and extended it to 72" wide and 80" long to support the edges of the mattress which are foam bolsters. It's too late for pictures because I covered the platform with vinyl material and wrapped it under the outer edges. The modification to the platform took a few hours because we added wood and glued it for extra strength. It would be interesting to compare the work they did on Jim's install versus ours.