Continuous Water Heater

diastole

Anybody heard the trend of place a continuous water heater in-line for the times when high volume water is needed? Dealer recomendation. It would have a seperate switch. The draw back is while it is on every bit of water is hot.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Anybody heard the trend of place a continuous water heater in-line for the times when high volume water is needed? Dealer recomendation. It would have a seperate switch. The draw back is while it is on every bit of water is hot.

I got one a few weeks ago. Just waiting for the pex plumber to show up It's going in the kitchen to a separate faucet. Gonna "T" it into the hot water line in the kitchen...the water is just not hot enough to satisfy me when it comes to cooking and dish washing.

It puts out hot water...but, the really hot stuff is only for a short time. One for the shower would be very expensive...and hard to set up. I looked at one of those too.

You can find them on e-bay for about $60.

nhunter

I believe user "Pulltab" has one installed in his 5th wheel. Might want to search that. Plumber in our area said our water is to hard and they are often victims of scale / mieral build up.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Lefty, I have to say, our hot water is waaay too hot. We can scald ourselves if we're not careful. I can take a 10 minute shower with water so hot most people can't stand it. I steam up every mirror in the bedroom. Maybe you have an issue with the water heater not putting out right???

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
Lefty, I have to say, our hot water is waaay too hot. We can scald ourselves if we're not careful.

I have to agree, we have no problem with the hot water from the factory installed Surburban 12 gal water heater in our Big Horn. Plenty of VERY HOT water and fast recovery time.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Tab has a tankless water heater. Nice if you need them. Not sure what this other thing is. Lefty - we need details :)

Jim

I'll try to get some pictures up. The reason that I wanted to add this little heater was and this is not directed at JimB:

1. Because I wanted to. there's times I need hot water and don't have time to wait for the HWH to provide it. I don't use the propane part of my water heater in this park. Getting propane is just too difficult for me right now. It's a long run from the heater to the kitchen...now, it's one little lever..blammo...instant hot water. Plus, there's only honey wagon service here...40 gallons of tank fills up pretty quick in the kitchen.

2. I don't like having to run 5 gallons of water to get one cup of hot water for instant soup. And, I want steaming water when I wash/rinse dishes. Plus, I don't trust the water supply in some of the campgrounds...and I sure don't trust water that has been sloshing around in a water tank under my floor. The filter will be added for this thing later.

It can also be used as an instant heater in the shower, if you wanted to use it that way.

Last edited:

Tom of Ypsi

Lefty,

Here is another thought if just wanting instant hot water for soup, tea, instant coffe washing dishes etc, try using an electric teapot. We have one, about two gallons worth and within two minutes this thing has boiling water. Cheaper than propane and cheaper than a new water heater.

diastole

to bathe 3 kids and two adults takes a while. The recomendation I received was to put the tankless water heater "in-Line" immediatly after the hookup. the issue this creates is the outside shower, the inside shower, and every other water supply is hot - while the in-line heater is own AND there is flow. Any thoughts?

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Lefty,

Here is another thought if just wanting instant hot water for soup, tea, instant coffe washing dishes etc, try using an electric teapot. We have one, about two gallons worth and within two minutes this thing has boiling water. Cheaper than propane and cheaper than a new water heater.

It's a good point Tom...but, I don't want a teapot. The heater cost me around $45 (I THINK) including shipping. I like the idea of what I'm doing. So, it's going in. I have to build as many fail safes in this thing as I can. I cannot spend another wintry evening replacing a hot water heater in my wheelchair. If the heater goes...I still have a supply of hot water that is not dependent on my stove or having propane. I'm trying to make it so that a major failure can be contained into a major pain in the a**. I got shut in here this winter with two days of no propane. My two Pelonis heaters and the fireplace in the living room, kept the place liveable. Amazing what a heavy blanket and two pitbulls can do.

*BUT*, I am gonna look into the electric T-pot thingy...If this is like an old electric popcorn popper like they had in the 60's...then I'll definitely get one. Give me an electric skillet, an old style electric popcorn popper...a couple of B-3A units...and I can give you gourmet quality meals.

(Sounds heard in jungle...."Hey, Nguyen! I think them clazy Americans are frying chicken again! How they do that in jungle, huh??)

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
to bathe 3 kids and two adults takes a while. The recomendation I received was to put the tankless water heater "in-Line" immediatly after the hookup. the issue this creates is the outside shower, the inside shower, and every other water supply is hot - while the in-line heater is own AND there is flow. Any thoughts?

I know several Airstreamers that did the tankless waterheater..just put it in the place the old water heater used...almost a straight swapout (according to them). I got to play with one...and it ran some fairly hot water for over 20 minutes...I'm not talking scalding hot...but, I am talking a decent shower.
Shame you can't get one that does both electric and gas.