Please Advise on Towing my 32BHDS

Hello Everyone,

Here's the deal:

I am towing with a 5.4 v8 F150. Ford could never give me a straight answer on towing capacity, figures ranged from 9000lbs - 8300lbs. I really liked the 32BHDS floor plan and it UVW is 6995lbs. I know that I will never fill that thing up to capacity, but I am still trying to see what will happen when towing with my truck.

My previous travel trailer was a Sunnvalley Roadrunner 30BH and its GVWR was 7500 and I never had any issues, but it was never at max.

I currently have the equ-i-lizer, and an electronic brake. What should I expect from my F150?

I was considering purchasing the K-Z spree which had a UVW of 5700lbs, but the salesman peaveed me off and its definitely not the floorplan that I really want.

Please Help

Jim

Thanks,

GVWR Range:7,001 - 8,000 Pounds

Well this tells me that I am within my limit, but the Spree saleman told me to try and be 1000lbs under my max. Which figure should I consider - The 7000 or the 8000?

I am really confused.

Sorry - Truck Specs

2006 F150 CrewCab 5.4L V8 - Long Bed, 3.73 Gear Ratio

Vin Decoder spit out 7001-8000lbs

Anyone ever towed in a similar situation or has thoughts on this?

truknutt

Committed Member
Thanks,

GVWR Range:7,001 - 8,000 Pounds

Well this tells me that I am within my limit, but the Spree saleman told me to try and be 1000lbs under my max. Which figure should I consider - The 7000 or the 8000?

I am really confused.

Sounds like you either had a VERY conscientious salesperson or someone was pushing the K-Z! It appears you are within your towing limits; just watch the GCWR of 15,000# and your Rear Axle/pin weight.

Have fun!:p

2010augusta

With all the "can my truck tow this" questions, Could someone make a sticky in the tow-vehicles section, if some one can add in GM, Dodge, and maybe even Toyota Towing guides. I have looked for archived literature from the three latter, but can only find information on the Fords, Guess only Ford wants you to tow with a truck more than a year old.:D I think I found a web-site last year with links to the big three's towing guides, but can't find it now.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
With all the "can my truck tow this" questions, Could someone make a sticky in the tow-vehicles section, if some one can add in GM, Dodge, and maybe even Toyota Towing guides. I have looked for archived literature from the three latter, but can only find information on the Fords, Guess only Ford wants you to tow with a truck more than a year old.:D I think I found a web-site last year with links to the big three's towing guides, but can't find it now.

I haven't checked but you might look on the respective factory websites. Also Trailer Life put out an annual towing guide so they may have some information on their website archives.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This is the main page that will lead you to all things Chevy when it comes to towing.

http://www.chevrolet.com/trailering/

Unfortunately, that's all the information the Chevy site has. Go to the GMC site and you can get a lot more detailed trailering and vehicle weight information. Sierra's and Silverado's are practically twins. The capabilities vary based on the cab, bed, SRW or DRW, engine, etc. You can find that on the GMC site for the 1500, 2500, and 3500 series.

www.gmc.com/sierra

sunriverman

calculating legal pin weight

Animaldrum,
I just went through this with purchasing a new 2900MK. My 6.0 F250 has a legal GVWR of 9800#, my dry weight is 7700# loaded. Therefore my max legal pin weight is only 2100#. You need to do the same. Get your vehicle weighed and caluclate you max pin weight. I would guess it will 1500-1600# max. Sure your legal max loaded trailer rating is much higher but that is not the limiting factor. There are a ton of fifth wheelers being towed by rigs that are unsafe due to their pin weights. When an accident occurs I will guarantee the legal dogs will be there.

DW_Gray

If you really want to know the realistic vehicle towing capacity for any vehicle, I recommend you use RV Tow Check. Towing guides are worthless most of the time.