Entry Steps Problem

schipperhaven

Don Ferris
Our 2008 Bighorn 3670 (purchased in Nov./07) has a four step entry. While Lippert apparently makes most of the steps on Heartland units now, these were made by Elkhart Tool and Die. Lippert told me they do not manufacture or supply a four step unit.

In any event, our steps collapsed about two weeks ago. The main steel plate on the left side cracked (in two stages over time, it appears) and left that side hanging. I reached the company and they stood behind the steps. A local service shop in Panama City Beach (R.V. Trax) received the shipment of the new steps and installed them at our site. Elkhart T&D covered all costs. The whole process took exactly a week and did not interrupt our winter sojourn.

Four step units are great because the rise is less (for us old geezers). But the moral of the story is to use step stabilizers under theses steps to make up for the arcing stress on them. Both Elkhart and the installer advised us of this, and we've already complied. Use them under the third step down, and don't try to use the self-storing type -- use two of the "bottle jack" style (about $32 at Camping World).

And if you ever get stuck for any reason in the western Florida area, reach Ron Trapp at R.V. Trax. His service is SPECTACULAR!

2010augusta

Thanks for the notice. I will keep an eye on ours. I am not quit sure that jacks under the steps are really working unless you use two under each of the lower three steps and the jacks latch or hook into the tread plates, because of the pivots built into each step.

Another solution could be something like tailgate support bars or even chains ran from the end on the last step to the frame, so the cantilevered weight from standing on the last step is transferred back to the frame an not entirely held by the step mechanism. I have inspected many machine designs, like the folding steps, and supporting the cantilever is the easiest/best way to add strength. IMHO

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Our 2008 Bighorn 3670 (purchased in Nov./07) has a four step entry. While Lippert apparently makes most of the steps on Heartland units now, these were made by Elkhart Tool and Die. Lippert told me they do not manufacture or supply a four step unit.

In any event, our steps collapsed about two weeks ago. The main steel plate on the left side cracked (in two stages over time, it appears) and left that side hanging. I reached the company and they stood behind the steps. A local service shop in Panama City Beach (R.V. Trax) received the shipment of the new steps and installed them at our site. Elkhart T&D covered all costs. The whole process took exactly a week and did not interrupt our winter sojourn.

Four step units are great because the rise is less (for us old geezers). But the moral of the story is to use step stabilizers under theses steps to make up for the arcing stress on them. Both Elkhart and the installer advised us of this, and we've already complied. Use them under the third step down, and don't try to use the self-storing type -- use two of the "bottle jack" style (about $32 at Camping World).

And if you ever get stuck for any reason in the western Florida area, reach Ron Trapp at R.V. Trax. His service is SPECTACULAR!

Same exact thing happened to our 4 step unit, and it was just a little over a year into owning our rig. Had ours replaced with a Lippert 3 step unit with higher risers...not the most comfortable walking steps but appear to be made much stronger, and we've gotten use to the difference. We too have starting using a step support. We use the self storing unit and it seems to do the job just fine.

I guess that's part of what happens when you live in your rig and have to use components on a daily basis...things will definitely wear out faster:eek:

ChopperBill

I cant recall going up a 4 step unit that wasn't kinda wobbly. Our 3 step unit is rock solid. I got one of these from Camping World just for the times we are a little high on the door side. Works great like a little porch.