An Extra 2 Inches!!!

boatdoc

Hey All. While out measureing up the basement on the 3670 this morning I was a little concerned about loosing some headspace when installing a slideout tray. I'll already have to raise it some to get it over the door lip so I started wondering what was in the chase above the DS baggage door. I took it down to find some plumbing, drain from the W/D area, and some electrical. Got to measureing it and it didn't need to be as low as it was to do it's job. I was able to cut 2 inches off it's sides, roll the carpet back over into the chase and put it back on with an extra cleat in the middle for a little more support. 1/2 hour, tops.
May not be a big concern to many but I'll bet a few will take a look at this new found headroom.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Hey All. While out measureing up the basement on the 3670 this morning I was a little concerned about loosing some headspace when installing a slideout tray. I'll already have to raise it some to get it over the door lip so I started wondering what was in the chase above the DS baggage door. I took it down to find some plumbing, drain from the W/D area, and some electrical. Got to measureing it and it didn't need to be as low as it was to do it's job. I was able to cut 2 inches off it's sides, roll the carpet back over into the chase and put it back on with an extra cleat in the middle for a little more support. 1/2 hour, tops.
May not be a big concern to many but I'll bet a few will take a look at this new found headroom.

Uh...uh...uh....nevermind.

hillsonwheels

I'd been wondering exactly what was in the chase on the passenger side of our 3400 RL Big Horn :confused: and if I could gain some head room there. Now that I know what you found I figure I'll open mine up to make the same "adjusments!" :) Don't yet plan to put in slides but our little folding bikes will go in easier with the extra head room. Thanks for the tip. :D

Dick

2010augusta

I will have to check mine out as soon as we get settled down in our next long term spot, We're packing up tomorrow to hit the road for five days, then 6 days in Colorado Springs, an few days on the road to Pennsylvania and almost a week there, then however long it takes to get to the next job, but we don't know where it will be yet...

more room is always welcome. I was thinking about cutting an access door through to the front compartment, so I could store stuff on top of the generator box. Its a lot of room up there but no access to it. Hummmm??

jbeletti

Alan,

I was taking some RV assembly pictures the other day and noticed the same thing - lots of space above the gen cabinet. If only it could be accessed. I am sure it would be against a few RVIA rules but that's up to you. Attached is a picture I took of what looks like a Landmark before the front skin is put on.

Jim

Attachments

• DSC_0046.JPG
    DSC_0046.JPG
    414.6 KB · Views: 255

2010augusta

I am sure it would be against a few RVIA rules but that's up to you.

Jim

What is against the rules: storing stuff on top of the generator box, or connecting the two compartments?

I was also thinking about lower the top of the galvanized box down a few inches. There is a lot of space above the generator before you get to the box, and I don't think that it need that space for cooling, it appears it is that height so you can put stuff up there. That would be a bit of an under taking though.

jbeletti

I don't have access to RVIA codes Alan - it was just a hunch/disclaimer (i.e. you are on your own).

I agree - the box is tall. Maybe there is a minimum requirement on square footage for the cabinet the gen is housed in - dunno.

But for sure, that space above it begs to be reclaimed.

If it were mine, I would likely make a plywood box with flanges on the front. Paint the flanges black or carpet them. Cut a hole from the main storage side and slip the box in. Screw/glue the flanges of the box to the wall. Let the box rest on top of the sheet metal box for it's main support.

Then "what to store there"? Probably nothing heavy and nothing that can't take a bit of heat when the gen runs.

Do it - document it - share it! Thanks,

Jim

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Hey All. While out measuring up the basement on the 3670 this morning I was a little concerned about loosing some head space when installing a slide out tray. I'll already have to raise it some to get it over the door lip so I started wondering what was in the chase above the DS baggage door. I took it down to find some plumbing, drain from the W/D area, and some electrical. Got to measuring it and it didn't need to be as low as it was to do it's job. I was able to cut 2 inches off it's sides, roll the carpet back over into the chase and put it back on with an extra cleat in the middle for a little more support. 1/2 hour, tops. May not be a big concern to many but I'll bet a few will take a look at this new found headroom.

GOOD IDEA. I'VE ALREADY BUMPED MY HEAD SEVERAL TIMES TOO MANY. WAS BY CHANCE THE WASHING MACHINE DRAIN THE LOWEST? IF SO, I COULD CUT THAT OUT AS I DON'T PLAN TO USE THE WASHER EVER.

boatdoc

Yes, The W/D drain pipe, 1 1/2 ABS, was the largest and most rigid. Along with it were the water feed lines and some 12VDC and 110VAC wires.