Vote Yea or Nea....Slider Hitch!!

GETnBYE

I have been told that the slider is a must for short bed/crew cab/ 4x4. Also, been told that it's not needed. Now, each statement came from the person selling his perspective hitch!
Now I would like info. from someone who really knows and is not in it for the sale of a hitch. That would be you all here.
Any help???

Vote Yea or Nea on the slider for me, please.

My truck: 2004 Ford FX4, supercrew shortbed.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I vote to buy a truck with a long bed and then it is a moot point....just kidding, I have a long bed so my vote doesn't count....

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
I have a standard bed GMC Crew Cab 4X4 with a slider hitch....but have NEVER had to use it with Heartland's special radius corners. I am prepared if I have to ever pull someone else's coach but with my Heartland it is not really needed.

Jim/rsvl/AR

I have a sliding hitch (short bed truck) and had to use the sliding with my previous 5th wheel (not a Heartland). Now that I have a Heartland Sundance with the 88 degree turning I have not had to slide the hitch. The 88 degree turning is a good idea! Therefore I vote nea -- slide not required.

MurrayN.

I have a 2500HD with crew cab and short box. I have not taken delivery of my 2010 3300RLB Sundance yet, but when I was pulling my 30' SOB 5er I had no clearance issues at all when using a standard hitch, but we installed the hitch in the truck box approx 5" behind the center point of the rear axle. Hopefully this will still work with the heavier hitch weight of my new trailer.
:)

bill40

Before getting this truck I had short beds and a Pull Rite auto slider. There were many times I was glad I had it and many times it was not needed. I am not sure if the new Heartland units would ever cause a need for one. They are costly compared to a regular hitch. The fellow that bought my truck and trailer was glad I had this type installed. You will hear both pros and cons. Good luck on your choice. Bill

DntDctr

I have a short bed CC 06 F250. I also have a Heartland Sundance with the 88 degree front cap. I don't need the slider. I hear it makes it easier to back up with the slider back but so far I haven't had any problems.
Paul

Shadowchek

There is one place I go that I have to make a really tight u turn and have come within about a half inch of hitting the cab. Any tighter and I would hit. I can make a u turn as tight as my truck will turn withought hiting my cab. I just can't continue much past that continuing into a sort of C turn if someone is parked in my way comming out of the u turn. That was the situation when I came within a half inch of hitting. I just asked the people parked there if they would move for a minute that solved the problem. That being said I have a slider and haven't used it yet. I am glad it is there for piece of mind though you could get by without it no problem.

Greg

Bobby A

I 've got a Dodge Mega Cab short bed, which seems to be a horse of a different color, because of the added length to the cab. I didn't like the idea of a superslide, so I decided on a standard 16K reese hitch and decided to put a sidewinder pin box coupler on the trailer. Has worked very well with no worrys about hitting the cab or trailer. Saying that, I'am still waiting on taking delivery on my Big Horn and will transfer my sidewinder from my current SOB to the new B/H when it arrives. I was told by Lippert & Heartland it should bolt right up.
By the way, back in 07 when I was doing my homework on hitches, if you would equip your t/v and trailer for a superslide, no other hitch would be able to tow your trailer except a super slide hitch, I didn't like that. I think now they have come out with a added option that would allow other hitches to hitch up. Again, this was back in 07 things may have changed now. Oh, the sidewinder route was also cheeper than going with a superslide. Hope this helps
Bobby A

f250dieseldad

I have an 05 Ford like yours. I have a slider because of a Wildcat 5th. We now have a 3055rl and never need to move the hitch.:D

jpjulian

A buddy of mine with a Chevy standard bed has a slider for his Sundance. Don't know if he has ever used it. Wanted the slider as a just in case. When we bought our Big Horn I told the dealer to install whatever hitch I needed and he installed a Reese 16K standard hitch. Saved a bunch of $$ in the process.

rjr6150

Needed don't know didn't want to take any chances so went with the Superglide and never worry either way

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We had a slider in our previous truck, an extended cab short bed Chev 2500HD. our previousr 5ver was a Jayco for which we seldom used the slider. We traded up to the Bighorn and kept the slider but the difference in weight between the smaller Jayco and larger Bighorn caused a lot of movement/noise related to the slider when on our nations lovely roads. We got rid of the slider in the short bed and never needed it for the BH. Now we have a bigger truck :).