Bedroom A/C

Peteandsharon

We've had many threads on this forum about the need for a second A/C on most fivers. I'm still not convinced of the need although I go back and forth on the issue. I live in northern Illinois but I do venture outside of the United States.... to places like Texas (just kidding None). But given that you have a situation where you do need the second A/C in the bedroom, I'm curious about what most of you have. I would guess that the best bet is one of the smaller 8-9K BTU units. I have been told that the bigger units cycle on and off too fast and actually aren't on long enough to effectively remove humidity. For those of you with the real need, what are you finding to be the best bet and what models do you have installed as that second A/C? If we have a summer that is as warm as the winter has been cold, I just may take the plunge. Thanks, Pete

jbeletti

I think most people add the 13.5k unit. But you may be onto something since in a downdraft model, all you are effectively cooling is the bedroom and maybe the bathroom, perhaps smaller is the way to go.

Some people who add a 2nd AC after the build, will use a Carrier brand unit. They seem to like them.

Jim

2010augusta

I think mine is a 13.5K. I ordered it with the Landmark from Heartland. If I have the main unit cooling the trailer, the bedroom unit will cycle very fast if the temperatures are close to the same. At night I raise the coach temp and lower the bedroom temp and that results in a longer cycle.

Last edited:

Peteandsharon

Yeah, I spoke with my dealer today - just playing out some different scenarios. He definitely recommended the smaller units for the reasons I stated before. It seemed to make sense to me. I would effectively cut off the vents from the main unit so the second unit would cool only the bedroom and the main A/C would cool only the kitchen and living area. We even talked about completely blocking the vent that feeds the bedroom area although that really wouldn't work for those times when I was on a 30 amp circuit and couldn't really run both A/C's. Then I'd have to remove the block and let it flow again. I really do believe that you can overcool an area and in the process you are not humidifying properly. Sharon is not a big fan of an overly cool bedroom anyway so a more "subtle" cooling makes the DW happier.

vangoes

As the main unit is also cooling the bedroom through the ducts, the bedroom gets directly cooled by both units. That explains why the bedroom unit cycles so quickly unless the temperatures/sun is extremely hot.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Pete, there are plenty of opinions as to whether or not to add the second AC. For some people 78 inside is cool. We like it to be 72. When we ordered ours, I did not get the second AC, but opted for a Fantastic Fan in the bedroom. Normal outdoor temps everything was fine. But when we were in full sun and the outside temps were in the mid 90's it just was not cool enough up stairs for the wife. So I did put the second AC in. I bought a Carrier Low Profile 13,500 and installed it myself. Put the Fantastic Fan in the little reading room with a wall mounted on/off switch. The one thing you might want to watch for if you go that route is that the bedroom AC blows on the wall mounted tstat for the living room. You will have to divert the air flow or lower the setting for the LR air. Another plus is that it will help cool the coach much faster when setting up after travel.
Peace
Dave

Peteandsharon

Now that's an added benefit I hadn't thought of. In a way I was reluctant to give up the fantastic fan in the bedroom. I have the thermostatically controlled fan and I hated to just lose it. Swapping out the small vent fan in the reading room for the fantastic fan is an added benny that could tilt the argument. I'm reaching here as you might guess. One question, though, Dave. Do you do anything to cut off the air flow from the main A/C to the bedroom?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
No Pete, I left everything on the main AC as it was. Most times we just use just one AC so I want the air flow to the bedroom. Also when it does cool down at night I turn off the 2nd ac and let the main do its job. On a side note, my bro just left Texas, he was in the RGV, and a couple of weeks ago it was upper 90's and humid. He said that during the day his SOB trailer with one AC would not get cool till the evening.
Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We do have a 13500 btu low profile in the bedroom also. When just using the living room AC there is a noticable difference in temperature when going into the bedroom. One consideration is, if you us 30amp hookups you cannot run both ac's at the same time. When in that situation we run the living room during the day and then at night turn off the living room and run the bedroom as the living room just doesn't keep it cool enough for us in 80 degree night time temps (which it does in mid-summer Texas). When using 50 amp hookup we us both AC's. The only thing I wish we had is a heat strip in the bedroom AC as it could take the chill out on those cool night that are not enough for the heater. 2 AC's are a definate have to have for us.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
We have a 13,500 btu unit in the bedroom and use both during the daytime. At night we turn off the bedroom unit as it makes much more noise than the ducted living room unit and we have trouble sleeping with the bedroom unit running. It wakes us up every time it cycles on. At night the one unit keeps it comfortable.

Joe Isuzu

We've had many threads on this forum about the need for a second A/C on most fivers. I'm still not convinced of the need although I go back and forth on the issue. I live in northern Illinois but I do venture outside of the United States.... to places like Texas (just kidding None). But given that you have a situation where you do need the second A/C in the bedroom, I'm curious about what most of you have. I would guess that the best bet is one of the smaller 8-9K BTU units. I have been told that the bigger units cycle on and off too fast and actually aren't on long enough to effectively remove humidity. For those of you with the real need, what are you finding to be the best bet and what models do you have installed as that second A/C? If we have a summer that is as warm as the winter has been cold, I just may take the plunge. Thanks, Pete

//heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon12.gif
Greetings from Texas,

We have a Bighorn 3055RL with a 13.5 in the bedroom. During the hot summer in the sun we need both during the day. Your right about Texas being another country. My kids and grandkids live in Illinois and Indiana and I keep telling them they need to hurry up and come to Texas and get their Texas driver license so they don't have to apply for citizenship sometime in the near future. I don't they really want to live in the country of "Chicago" or "Indianapolis".

jbeletti

We have a 13,500 btu unit in the bedroom and use both during the daytime. At night we turn off the bedroom unit as it makes much more noise than the ducted living room unit and we have trouble sleeping with the bedroom unit running. It wakes us up every time it cycles on. At night the one unit keeps it comfortable.

On super warm days, we do the same as Don and Sheri. By evening, we're able to shut the bedroom AC off and the main AC keeps the whole coach comfortable.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We do about the same thing.
Here in Texas the temp is higher and so is the humidity. We will normally run the main A/C and the bed room A/C if it is hot. We also run both when we first arrive at a campground to help drop the temp in the trailer.

At night we will leave the main A/C running and turn on the bed room A/C.
It is normally cool enough the main A/C will not run very often, but we like to run the bedroom A/C to keep it very cool in the bed room. We sleep better when it is cool and the noise of the fan makes a good white noise that will block out a lot of barking dogs, people talking, starting of diesel trucks in the morning, cars on near by hwy and such things.
I really would not like to be with out the bedroom A/C. If you live only in the north you will most likely never need a second A/C, but if you stay in the south, especially during the summer, you will end up getting a bedroom A/C.
BC

I just purchased a low profile carrier 13.5 unit I intend to install my self on our 3055RL, Glad to hear I am not the only one concidering the bedroom unit.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Br a/c

It is a must for us. Our 3055 is our second fifth wheel, and we really enjoy hearing the fan noise at night as well. Really helps when we need a quick cool-down while setting-up, along with running the quick cool-down with the central. ;)

We live in Dallas, TX and frequently go camping in South Texas in the Corpus Christi area. Our 2008 3250TS with the single A/C just didn't do a good enough job for our comfort. I purchased a Carrier 15,000btu low-profile unit for the bedroom and installed it this past weekend. The one problem i'm having at this point, is FINDING the pre-wired wiring to the unit. I found the low-voltage wiring easily that powered the fan for the bedroom vent. If anyone can tell me exactly WHERE the wiring is positioned in the ceiling for this install i sure would appreciate the help!

I did check ... the circuit breaker panel has a 20A breaker labeled (and wired) for the bedroom a/c.

We're going camping to Port Aransas, TX next week ... *I* am sooooo much in trouble if that A/C doesn't freeze us out of the bedroom!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
NickAtNyte, on my 2008 Bighorn the wires for the AC were right up next to the Fantastic Fan that I took out. The wire is terminated in a plastic box. You might have to get an arm up in the insulation and feel around.
Peace
Dave

jgilbert

Hmmmmmmmm............. so the bedroom a/c is NOT ducted like the main a/c? Is this true of the Landmarks and the Big Horns also?

Joe

CrazyScotsman

I for one love the second a/c in the bedroom, we had a 13500 unit installed. If I had my way there would be iceicles in the room when I am sleeping. I love it to be cold when I am sleeping. At home I turn a/c down to 66 before I go to bed. Other morning DW gets up and was checking out the thermostat. She asked why is it always so cold in this house in the morning. I broke down and told her , it's because I turn a/c down at night. I have been doing this for years and thats the first time she has known what I do. He He sneekie wee devil that I am. LOL
Anyhoo if your like me a second a/c is a " MUST HAVE ".
Cheers.... Ken the Eskimo.