Always check your "batwing" antenna

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Coming out of DC today after work I saw a Triumph 5er (never had seen that brand before) headed northbound on I-395. (Hmmm, not sure I'd ever try to take a 5er into or through DC). Anyway, their batwing was fully up and extended. Hope they weren't planning on going through the 3rd street tunnel under the Capitol. Moral of the story - always check that your antenna is back down before hitting the road (at a combined height of over 14 feet, I'm sure there's many overpasses that won't fit under.)

Gus

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a little sign that covers my slide switch that says.
"Lower Antenna and Remove Noodles" This helps me to remember to lower the antenna and remove the little things (noodles) I put on the edge of the bedroom slide so I will stop putting holes in my head.....

ChopperBill

No problem here. Can you believe in the 3 years we have owned the BH we have never been in a area where we get reception. Direct TV is a blessing!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We hang the keys for the truck on the handle for the antenna. Cant drive the truck without the keys, if you get my drift. But like chopper said we dont use it very much. Directv. Bob:D

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have a bright dayglow orange sign that hangs on the antenna crank that says antenna is up. When I am closing the slides and watching the bedroom slide close I can easily see the sign. It has reminded me a couple of times. A sticky note on the speedometer in the TV helps also.

hillsonwheels

We're still kinda sorta new to this 5er thing. :) But, I believe there's something to be learned from airline pilot procedures. :cool: If a check list is good enuff for them, it's good enuff for me. ;) Because all of it was so spooky at first, :eek: I made up a list to be used from the git go! The list has been modified as we learn more about our coach! And, so far with both of us checking the list (and on each others tasks when launching or landing) we're doing okay. I don't wanna ever get too cocky about enjoying our rig so I feel that taking the time to use a check list is essential.

No system is gonna be fool :eek: proof but taking the time to use a list and actually check them off works for us! :D:D

Dick