Need help with identifying a switch

abinns

Hello. We just bought a "like-new" 2008 Big Horn 3600 RL. Haven't left the driveway yet, but we love it. It had no manuals with it, but have managed to figure most things out. However, there's one switch we can't find what it operates. In the door where the tank levels are, the switch to the far right----it's not labled and looks like a light switch (but isn't).

Can anyone out there help us? Thanks!

2008 Big Horn 3600RL
2008 Chevy 3500 dually
Ready to go!

jbeletti

abins,

If that switch has a red handle, then it's for the Electric heating element in the water heater.

If it's a white handle like the wall plate, it could be:
- Power switch for awning outlet (most likely)
- Ceiling Fan power switch
- Tank heating pads (if so equipped)

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Welcome!
If the switch is red, its for the hot water heater. You'll probably want to turn it on after you make sure the tank is full. We tried to use it by utself on our first trip out and took cold showers all weekend.:eek: It uses electric to keep the water hot after propane has heated it up to start with.

OK guys, did I get it right or do I need to go back to school?:D

Kristy

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Why don't you post a picture? Right now, all your answers are nothing but conjecture.

abinns

Thanks for such quick responses! It's not the HWH....already found it. And another switch is labeled for the ceiling fan. We don't have an electric awning, so that may be the answer, since it doesn't seem to operate anything else. The heated tanks.....that may be it too, but how do we know?

2010augusta

Welcome!
If the switch is red, its for the hot water heater. You'll probably want to turn it on after you make sure the tank is full. We tried to use it by utself on our first trip out and took cold showers all weekend.:eek: It uses electric to keep the water hot after propane has heated it up to start with.

OK guys, did I get it right or do I need to go back to school?:D

Kristy
You have tow filp the switch on the hot water heater itself too. The electric heater does just fine by itself. I just use mine for three months with no propane heater. Very hot water

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Go with Jim's answer. If it's not a red colored switch then it is the outside awning receptacle switch. Then again it could be for the ceiling fan.
Peace
Dave

fhollan

Looks like we've almost got a bet going. Hope "abinns" comes back with the answer. I'm going for the awning receptacle.

SmokeyBare

why not just plug something into the Awning outlet... and flip the switch a few times... see if it powers up the "Something"...... :)

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
You have tow filp the switch on the hot water heater itself too. The electric heater does just fine by itself. I just use mine for three months with no propane heater. Very hot water

We figured that out the second day we were out. We let the propane heat it up to start it though since I want hot water soon after we set up most of the time.
Kristy

geeksrus

On ours, it is the switch for the duplex receptacles near the front awning arm... allows you to turn lights, etc on/off from the inside of the unit.

Eh!

jbeletti

... We don't have an electric awning, so that may be the answer, since it doesn't seem to operate anything else...

The electric awning would have it's own switch labeled Extend/Retract - so no mistaking it for that.

Actually, even with the manual awning, you should have an outside AC receptacle mounted under the bedroom window (usually). Check it out. :)

Jim

TXBobcat

Fulltime
They say a picture is worth a 1000 words..
This is the switches for my BH3400.

Maybe it will help.

Attachments

• Switches.jpg
    Switches.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 45

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
It uses electric to keep the water hot after propane has heated it up to start with. OK guys, did I get it right or do I need to go back to school?:D

YOU NEED TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL. ;)
RULE 1 - ALWAYS USE THE ELECTRIC FOR THE WATER HEATER WHEN YOU ARE AT A CAMPGROUND AND ARE PAYING A FLAT RATE.
RULE 2 - ONLY USE THE PROPANE WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE "FREE" ELECTRICITY. YOU ARE THE ONE BUYING THE PROPANE WHEN YOU USE IT.
I HAD MY LAST RV FOR 5 YEARS BEFORE I EVER NEEDED TO USE THE PROPANE FOR THE WATER HEATER. THEN FOUND OUT IT WAS NEVER HOOKED UP FROM THE FACTORY, THEY HAD A LOOSE WIRE THAT WAS NEVER CONNECTED.
KENNY

abinns

The mystery switch is solved. Finally had time to check the outlets near the top of the BR window and awning. That was it. Used a hair dryer to test it. So, somebody won a bet, but don't remember who. Thanks for all the responses. It's good to know someplace to go for quick answers.

Ronnie and Anita Binns