Trans temp

Simmons

What kind of transmission temps do people see while towing? I'm sure there is some difference between makes, but would like to know overall. I have a 7.3 ford. What would be considered normal or running hot. Thanks.

Tom of Ypsi

If you are using the factory guages forget about accuracy. You need to get after market guages for to get reliable temps, I had the pillar type guages. Go to http://TheDieselStop.com forum and you should get the answer there. If my memory serves me correctly the temps were somewhere around 220 degrees. This has been two trucks ago and my truck was a 2000, F-250, 7.3 with a 3.73 rear end.

davelinde

I see ambient +120 as normal while towing
I consider ambient +150 to be hot

Backing up a grade I've hit 260 pretty fast.
Pulling long grades with the TC locked I typically see 220.

I use BOTH the factory sensor and a hot line sensor and the factory sensor seems to be very accurate - in a lot of cases they track exactly. Under sudden load the hot line temps will spike (rise and fall more quickly). Under steady load the factory sensor tends to read a bit higher than the hot line.

ymmv.

These temps used to concern me. At this point I'm not worrying unless the temps get above 250 and stay there, which means I have towed for 100's of miles at 230 (on the factory sensor)

davebennington

I have installed a sensor in the HOT line from the tranny before the fluid goes into the factory cooler. I was seeing temps in the 150 empty and above 225 loaded, when backing up temps went off the chart. I installed a cooler with a fan and now the temps are a lot lower 125 empty rarely see 190 when towing as well as backing up.

Dave