ANOTHER tire question

What (if any) "E" rated tires are recommended for a BH 3670. We just purchased a 2007 (used) model and it has the Kenda Karriers on it. Two of the tires look to have "decent" tread, while the other two look like the camper has been pulled with the brakes locked up (all the way around). We have been searching on several sites and are still undecided. $$ will be as big a deciding factor as safety.

We are ready to get on the road, and can't until we have safer tires.

Looking forward to your replies!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Van, 3670, nice coach. I think that the Goodyear G-614 tires are very popular, as well as Michelin. I would say that if you have two tires with extreem wear you might want to check the allignment. Or at least keep a close eye on your new tires. And you could be right about the brake being on. One or more might lock up if not adjusted correctly. You will get a lot of replies to this post. Have fun with your new camper. They are nice.
Peace
Dave

The thing about the two tires that are bad is they are on opposite sides and also on different axles. Of course, this could be a result of rotation.

Thanks for the reply.

SmokeyBare

Make sure the RV is correctly attached to the Hitch... that when towing it is level.

If when it's hitched to the tow vehicle... it's not level and the front end is high... that places a heavier load to the rear axle of the RV than is on the front axle.

Next, make sure the brakes are adjusted correctly... so they all work equally. If those tires were damaged due to brake problems or how the RV was hitched to the Tow Vehicle... I'd want to know...

In my view, the axle that had a lighter load... because the RV wasn't being towed level... That axle could allow the brakes to Grab...

Marv

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hello, You were asking about tires. First of all, you bought a used unit so the first thing I would do is replace all 4 tires. Why? Because you do not have firsthand knowledge of how old those tire are or what they were on. They could of come from something else and put on that one prior to the trade-in or sale. Second, the condition of the tires. And third when tires are 4-6 years old they should be replaced regardless of condition. So what would I recommend? You said the tires are "e" rated. I would recommend Michelin AT's or Michelin MS 'E" rated tires. The AT's are a little less expensive than the MS tires. I have had both in the past and they are both an excellent choice. I have the AT's on my truck (tow vehicle) right now and am on my 3rd set for the 215000 miles I have on the truck. The other things to get checked are the brakes being properly adjusted, the wheel bearings being properly lubricated and the alignment of the axles. All of those can cause premature tire failure.

Several important things to remember about your tires are: Proper inflation is paramount in proper wear and safety; lug nuts need to be properly torqued and rechecked periodically; and the only thing that stands between the trailer and disaster is that little thing called the "tire patch" which is about the size of your hand where the tire contacts the road. Opt for safety and replace all 4 tires and you will have greater safety and greater peace of mind.

boatdoc

I thought 3670's have or should have "G" rated tires? I know our 09' has them on it. If your's doesn't have them I would really look into them and the rims for that much weight or you might have problems down the road. Be carefull on your search for tires, lots of info to consider. :eek:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Van, boatdoc is right on the money. Your 3670 should have "G" rated tires. Check the VIN label on the off door side of the rig. I would be contacting the dealer you bought it from and let him know he sold you a rig with inadequate tires that are underrated for it's capacity. As for replacements, keeping safety in mind, Goodyear G614's are the way to go for "G" rated tires. You should be able to find them for around $250 each. I know, it's a pricey tire but it's designed for the task and they are regrooveable.

jnbhobe

Thats what I thought too, A 3670 sould have G-rated tires. The other thing is to BALANCE your tires !!! An out of balance tire WILL flat spot. Most important DON'T skimp on tires and check your wheels for capacity. JON ;) ;) ;)

SmokeyBare

Not mentioned yet... but should be... Make Sure the Rims pressure rating matches the tires you plan on using. I've no doubt they are... but be sure. The pressure rating for the rims should be stamped on the back side of the rim. It should be visible with out taking off the tire.

Marv

Hey, everyone! Thanks for all the replies. We just brought this unit home yesterday. It rained and rained and rained! The tires that are on this one ARE G rated, so my bad! I guess I am doing more research. So far, I have only found the GoodYear G614 in a "G". Do you know if this is the only way to go? I have not ever been a really big fan of Goodyear. Am still looking. We need to have something by Memorial Day weekend, as this will be our "maiden voyage" in the new rig. This is our son's 14th birthday as well, so we don't want to miss out. Planning a close trip (just to Gatlinburg) for the first one, then a big trip to Fort Wilderness Campground in Disneyworld this summer. We bought this used unit from Butch and Karen at RVs for Less here in Knoxville, and are pleased other than the tire issue. But, it was a used unit, so "them's the breaks"!

Looking forward to more responses!

jmgratz

As far as the G rated tires for trailers there are other brands than Goodyear but to my knowledge Goodyear is the only American made G rated tire. All of the other are mostly made in China. Although any tire can fail, it seems China made G rated tires have a higher failure rate than the Goodyear American made tire. After two blowouts of the G rated Chinese tires on our Landmark I "bit the bullet" and bought the Goodyear 614's replacing all 5 (spare included) of the tires even though some still looked good. I would rather be safe than sorry. This forum is full of defective tire stories where blowouts have caused not only aggravation but damage to the coaches. Each of our incidences resulted in $4500.00 damage, and our insurance company was not very happy about it.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
So far, I have only found the GoodYear G614 in a "G". Do you know if this is the only way to go? I have not ever been a really big fan of Goodyear.
Looking forward to more responses!

If you can find a "G" rated tire that is Ameican made that fits your wheel and the wheel opening, give them a try. You're going to find anything American Made is going to be few and far between.

But, I'll bet you'll be even less of a fan when the China Bomb blows and leaves you on the road with a repair bill that is the 3K$ range. I'd trust a recap made with a American casing before I would anything from a place I can't ever spell.

Still looking. Found "Greenball" with "G" rated tires. Have been doing some "lookin" Found one forum with another guy asking about them (where made, etc.) Was noted they are manufactured by Goodyear in Canada. Greenball tires are primarily ATV tires, but they also have auto and special trailer tires. I went looking for prices, and found another site that has these tires (Greenball) listed as BFGoodrich Greenball Towmaster. From what I have been reading on this forum, Towmaster is a No-No! Am I correct?

My wife's sister has a small tire store. She had her get a price on "G" rated tires and was given ~170 each for Telstar Liberty Radial tires. Does anyone know anything about them. My wife has been emailing back and forth with their corporate office for in depth info. Their website states they (Telstar) manufacture multiple brand names (Sumitomo was one of the brands listed). I am thinking these may be more of those China Bombs!

And another thing, has anyone out there ran 265/75R16-E in place of the 235/85R16. The load weight per tire for the 265s is 3,415 lbs where the 235/85R16 E load rated tires have a weight of 3,042. With this weight allowance, we would be within the weight limitations. Does anyone know if the size difference would be a problem?

ct0218

I think I read or saw that the Telstar were made in China. While there may tires in a similar size that can carry the load, I think a trailer tire has a thicker and heavier duty sidewall to resist the stresses that are put on trailer tires (specifically dual axle) in a tight turn. I think that is where the Goodyear G614 excells. It is quite a bit heavier than similar sized tires.

jnbhobe

I used 265-E tires on my Challenger with no fit problems but it didn't require a G-rated tire. G-rated have a heavier side wall and a 3640 lb. capacity. I upgraded my 3370 to 7000 lb axels and G-614 tires and happy I did so. JON :D :D :D

jmgratz

:)All I know is this. Goodyear stands behind their tires and will reimburse you for trailer damages if there was a defect in the tire that caused the tire to fail resulting in trailer damage. When I had my blowouts the only reimbursement we got was from the distributor of the Chinese made tire for the WHOLESALE cost of each tire. There was no reimbursement for the damage to the trailer even though the defective tire caused the damage. After that I will not put Chinese made tires on my trailer. I look at it as I might pay a few dollars more for the Goodyear 614's but at $245.00 per tire it is worth it to me. Think about it....it is your choice and your families safety and your trailers damage. I will say no more about this as this subject has been just about done to death on this forum. (Not meaning to be ugly about it):)

Last edited:

boatdoc

I'm thinking that wider tire may get into the shock. It's real close in that area. Remember tires flex and roll quite a bit when going down the highway.