How much roof sag is "normal"?

davelinde

I was just up on my roof watching the shuttle launch and was surprised at the amount of sag between roof rafters. In one place along the wall I would expect zero sag because I would expect the roofing to be supported by the wall and would think this is the strongest part of the roof. Instead there's a substantial sag that's been collecting a puddle of water right along the edge of the roof.

If the rig is framed the way I would expect it to be this seems a serious problem? But since I don't know what the framing is supposed to be, I can't say. So... I'm asking the factory.

btw - I can post pictures and measure it if that helps answer the question - let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

Dave,

I'd like you to make a call to Customer Service in the morning at 877-262-8032 to open up a case on this. Go ahead and take your pictures as well and have them ready to email if requested. Customer Service will likely direct you to get this into a dealer to be looked at, so prepare yourself to hear this.

Jim

I have noticed the same problem on my unit, because it is parked beside our house, I can look at the roof from our bedroom it seems this started to occur when we used the unit in Nov/08 and again in Jan 09 when the weather was colder, but not freezing
I have a low spot in two spots on the roof, it seems to not be as bad on colder days and dips more on warmer days, it almost seems when you are staying in the unit over colder periods, heat or something is causing a problem in the attic area, do others also have a similar situation on this .

davelinde

It did just get warmer here (high 80's). I was curious because I've had my unit south since new and it's never been snow loaded or anything that would encourage the sheathing to start sagging.

To give credit to HL here. THEY actually called ME this morning (before I could call them). I e-mailed pictures and just got off the phone with Matt. He told me that some sag was normal, but mine was a little more than normal and should be inspected. He found a dealer that will be convenient for us to use, and said that it should not be difficult to fix and that it's not urgent to fix immediately.

I am very impressed with the service. THANKS HL!!

davelinde

interim update

Saturday I dropped my rig for a dealer inspection. The service tech said he'd seen this condition several times and it was due to the fit between the roof sheathing, the trusses and the corner radius. He said that it was primarily cosmetic, although the fact that the sagging part was holding water was not good.

I'm waiting to hear what the dealer and factory decide is the right repair. The service tech did mention that for a non-structural issue such as this I might want to consider that opening up the roof (for any reason) could lead to more problems than it solves...

stay tuned.

porthole

Retired
interim update

Saturday I dropped my rig for a dealer inspection. The service tech said he'd seen this condition several times and it was due to the fit between the roof sheathing, the trusses and the corner radius. He said that it was primarily cosmetic, although the fact that the sagging part was holding water was not good.

I'm waiting to hear what the dealer and factory decide is the right repair. The service tech did mention that for a non-structural issue such as this I might want to consider that opening up the roof (for any reason) could lead to more problems than it solves...

stay tuned.

Dave - what dealer did you find to work on the trailer?

Duane