New 05's ...any disadvantage to buying one?

Midastouch

I called another dealer in Conroe, TX and the guy told me they had 3 new 05's, GC, MC, MR. Of course, he said they were "on sale" and the Manufacturer had some kind of incentive going to clear out the 05 models and he wanted to sell them! Other than the chances of the units having everything I wanted (color, options, etc) would there be a reason that buying a new 05 would not be a wise move, other than hoping to get a heck of a deal! I would be concerned about the unit sitting around on the lot, lots of folks in them I would imagine ... Has anything changed from 05 to 06 that would be a concern and do you look at these differently than you would an 06? Hope this was not a silly question but I found it strange that they would have 3 new 05 units that are slow to sell.:confused:

The guy even gave me his cell number and told me he could meet us over there anytime if we wanted to look ... he just needed to be able to get in the yard and he lived close by so he was available anytime. I'm not sure what kind of price would be considered "too good to pass up"! Any advice on this?

ChopperBill

Dont know about the LM's but there seems to be a world of difference between the early "06" and the late "06" BH's.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I am very familiar with the dealer in Conroe. I hope you have better luck than I have had with trying to deal with them. They did not want to come off MSRP when the trailers were new, and telephone calls to them, inquiring about the price since then have not been productive for us.

As far as the units themselves, I would think that technology has improved very much since these trailers were built, but if you had bought one of these as soon as it hit the lot, you would still have a '05 model in 2006. A good deal is still a good deal!

BluegrassMan

I myself liked my 05' Grand Canyon better than the 06' inside and out. Some may disagree, but that's my feeling. Some dealers have other lines of 5ver's similar to Landmark and may sell that other model for any number of reasons. My local dealer has Heartland products AND Teton. If you want cheaper Teton, it will be competing with a Landmark.

J-W&E

We also have a 2005 Grand Canyon. I will agree wih Denny and Rosa that I like the design of the 2005 better than the 2006. The appliance garage cabinet fits flush with the other cupboards and does not set out as the 2006 does. I also like that the TV in the livingroom is higher instead of sitting on the top of the desk as the 2006 does, but I believe the 2006 has a nicer flat screen TV than our 2005. I also like the way the bedroom is designed in the 2005 better. I don't have a washer-dryer, so I have cabinets with drawers in the corner area where the washer would be. I suppose if I were going to have the washer-dryer, that the 2006 closet (by the stool area) would be more convient. If you can get a good deal on the 2005, I don't think you would go wrong. We sure like ours.

We purchased our GC from Cross County RV in Mattoon Illinois. We checked around with different Heartland dealers in Illinois and Iowa and Cross County gave us the best deal by far. They have also been very nice to take care of the few things of warranty work we needed done. http://www.crosscountyrv.com/

Last edited:

Jay1949

jay1949
I am also familiar w/ the dealer you are speaking about just south of Conroe. As previously mentioned he doesn't "deal" much. I have recently passed on a Bighorn there (have even previously purchased from him) and bought out of state and saved a bundle.
I also believe the upgrades in technology etc., make up for the slight increase in price from a new '05 to a new '06.
Good luck.

Midastouch

Well ... what I have noticed is that no one around here has anything that I would consider "a deal"! I suppose if a person did not shop around or know any better ....:( I will order out of state, it won't be Texas as it seems that things are bigger there ... including their PRICES!:eek:

Thanks for the input ... I've been sent in the right direction and look forward to the trip/vacation in a few months to Knoxville!:cool:

Princess Kathleen

same title

If you are looking for a good deal...check out RVs for less in Knoxville TN. We did and got a great deal....Butch and Karen are great to work with.....they really take pride in their product....and customers.....we drove from Crowley Louisiana to place our order...last Christmas and we are sitting waiting for Monday to pick up our new Grand Canyon that we got at a deal:D
PK

Deb

Deb
We bought our 3055 from RV's For Less also. We will pick it up around the first of May. We are very impressed with Butch. Haven't met the man yet. Everything has been done over the phone. We live in Wilmington, NC 500 miles away. Our closest dealer is 200 miles - so that isn't much of a help.

Deb

L'l John

We just placed our order for a 3400rl this past Thursday at RV's for less. Butch said that it will probably take 6 to 7 weeks to arrive.
We live just 50 miles away, so it was a no brainer to order from them.

L'l John

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Well here it is, another plug for RV's for Less. I did not buy my Grand Canyon form them and I am sorry. I lived in Fla. at the time and paid alomost full retail. I can not tell you what your cost will be, but I know Butch will sell far below any other dealer, and he is as honest. It will be well worth your time to talk to him.

Midastouch

After several emails and reading the response I have gotten from others that have dealt with Butch and Karen, I look forward to ordering from them within the next month and I am about 740 miles from them. As far as I can see, the savings alone is well worth the trip and I'm looking forward to meeting and dealing with them!:D

jpmorgan37

I got my Grand Canyon from them in February and travelled 1000 miles each way from Texas. I still am in contact with them by e-mail on a casual basis. They are wonderful folks to deal with and equally great just to know. If your experience is anything close to mine, you will be very satisfied.

John

Lonestar

TXN4LIFE
Early '06 Late '06

ChopperBill said:
Dont know about the LM's but there seems to be a world of difference between the early "06" and the late "06" BH's.
Was just at a dealer today picking out the Bighorn I wanted. 2 major difference I found were the new Mor-Ride suspension and the cabinet styles are solid wood and stained instead of vinyl wrapped. There may be others but those were the 2 I found. I put my down payment on BH 3500. Great open floor space. Major upgrade from a Terry Dakota 830y with 1 super slide. Changed professions and I now use my RV to work out of. Terry got small in a hurry but it did work. I will probable max out my 2004.5 Dodge 2500 but if I have problems I'll do some intake and exhaust upgrades. If anyone has other suggestions (other that upgrade to Ram 3500) I'm listening.
By the way, Love the quality of the Bighorn line!!!!!!!!

morganm12

George
The dealer in Conroe, Tx has 4 landmarks on the lot as of today. He has one Grand Canyon and its pretty loaded. Granit, rollout storage, 2nd a/c installed. Carpeting is biege to match interior. He will sell them for $59k. At least that's what he sold me mine for.

How have things gone with your 05 Grand Canyons? Any problems. We are from Arkansas and have found a dealer in Illinois with a new 05 still on the lot which concerns me, but I see a prospective good deal. I have read a lot on here about QC problems? We are full timers, but go south for the winter months. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. Rodney & Shelia

BluegrassMan

As for me, Our 05' GC had suspension problems. Lippert the chassis company that builds the chassis, came to Pa and looked at it and told the dealer how it was to be fixed. Outside of that it was typical nic-nac's here and there "Like ANY other 5ver". You can't beat the quality of the product, sometimes you CAN beat their workmanship.
If you go look at this 5ver seriously again get down under it and look at the leaf spring hangers and check if they're straight. Check the clearance between the tires and the long square bar that is part of the slide mechanism. It should be equal to the other side(mine was 1/2 to 3/4 inch),on one side and 3-4 inches on the other. It's all good now. You should be able to get a great deal on it, considering the year. Actually I liked my 05' better than the 06's when I went in one. Just IMHO though.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hi Shelliawalls
I have Grand Canyon number 29. I have had more than my share of problems but the factory has taken care of all concerns. They are working on the biggest one right now and I have owned the fiver for two years. Check the seriel number on the unit you are going to buy, the last three digits will tell you what number the unit is. Let me know by private message if you have any serious questions about the unit.

SmokeyBare

Butch and Karen of " RV for Less " are Good Down to Earth People. They understand the customers that come to them for their next RV purchase. They work hard to provide a quality product for those who buy from their Dealership. They in turn earn High praise from those of us who have purchased from their Dealership.

We contacted several BigHorn Dealers in different locations of the country as well of near the factory. None would come close to the the price Butch and Karen offered for the BigHorn we wanted to Order.

The price was a big deciding factor of our purchase but not the only one. RV's For less policy of starting at the factory's pick up lot with their quality control reduces the chance that they have major issues at the Dealerships lot.

Once it arrives in Knoxville that quality control continues. They put the RV through an extensive inspections, testing all systems and appliances; They use their own list of things to checks, of area's where they may once have had issues on other RV's as well as any problems that may pop up in the forum's postings. Lastly they offer an Extended Warranty for the all new RV's they sell.

I suggest before anyone makes such a large and expensive purchase... Do your Homework !! Read all you can... the Internet is such a valuable tool for this.... then have Dealers offer you a price on the unit you've selected. I also suggest anyone who can... go to the Factory tour... see first hand the Fifthwheels being built.... ask the tough questions there... Know what your considering buying from a first hand look.

This was the first purchase I ever made for a Big Ticket Item that went flawlessly... no problems... although in these times it's not possible.. I walked away from Rv's for Less With the feeling I could have finished this deal with a Hand Shake and a a Smile. Butch and Karen left me with that kind of feelings.

Marv

madigand

Thanks for the up date on RV'S for Less. I am currently dealing with Butch and Karen on a 3670. The only drawback is about 2200 miles from me. If Explore USA in Sequin, TX can match their price: I will get it there. Otherwise a long drive to Knoxville.