Dealer inventories

Peteandsharon

I have been browsing the local dealer lots in the northern Illinois/southern Wisconsin areas and have noticed a distinct lack of inventory. At least for the Ford and Chevy lines it seems very difficult to find an F350 or a 3500 HD on any dealers lots. Are other people finding the same thing? Does anyone know if this is tied to plants that were shut down for a period of time? Do you know if ordering a new truck is the only real way to go at this point? Thanks, Pete

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
It's a sign of the times. We have one of the largest Ford dealers on the East Coast. When I bought my truck they had 30-35 F250-F450's. The last time I drove by there it looked like they had maybe 20 total, at most.

jnbhobe

I think your right about inventories, they are down around here too. Some is due to plant shut downs and I think a lot has to do with $$$$$$$$$$$$$. If GM and Ford and Chrysler are not holding the paper on these trucks the dealers have to rely on their local banks for their floor-plans. Since a lot of the big banks have stopped floor planning the automotive and RV industry. Just my thoughts. JON :confused: :confused: :confused:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
In the Fall of last year, after committing to the 3670 purchase, I wanted to wait until the end of the year to purchase my truck. At that time, the local dealer had several Silverado 2500HD diesels in his lot, but no 3500's, and no GMC diesels of any kind. Plenty of gassers, though. When I ordered my GMC 3500HD D/A in December, there were no diesels and few, if any 2500HD gassers. Mostly 1500 series left. I asked and was told they sold the ones they had (2500's) and that the 3500 series usually were not stocked because they had a limited market in this area, especially with duallies. No big deal, it only took about 5 weeks to get it built to order. They're still building them in Flint.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I've been going on line for the past month and a half trying to find a replacement for one of my older work trucks. No 450's to be found and darn few 350's. I've pretty much settled on (because of the recommendation of 3 difrferent dealers) ordering a new F-450. That's about the only way I'll get one in the near future I'm afraid. At least by ordering I'll get what I want even if I don't get a super deal like I did on my 08 F-450. Bummer :(

Peteandsharon

I just spoke to one of the sales guys at a local dealer and here was his explanation. Ford shut down the KY plant around Thanksgiving. Not sure how long, maybe through the end of the year. They pushed real hard to move inventory with employee pricing and other incentives. Now, as they try to ramp up again, they are filling fleet orders first, at the expense of filling inventory orders for dealers. At any rate, I suspect that ordering is the way to go. I was potentially looking to steal a great deal off some dealers lot but I'm not convinced that I'm going to take the plunge and order one. Somehow, I don't think they are as motivated right now, even though they should be.

jnbhobe

I feel the same way, manufacturers have lowered some prices with employee pricing and incentives.It seems dealers don't want to part with any part of their hold back or dealer cash they recieve from the manufacturer.I've been lookingfor a couple of cars for 2 months now.I guess I will wait till the dealers give a little better deals. JON :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

truknutt

Committed Member
I just spoke to one of the sales guys at a local dealer and here was his explanation. Ford shut down the KY plant around Thanksgiving. Not sure how long, maybe through the end of the year. They pushed real hard to move inventory with employee pricing and other incentives. Now, as they try to ramp up again, they are filling fleet orders first, at the expense of filling inventory orders for dealers. At any rate, I suspect that ordering is the way to go. I was potentially looking to steal a great deal off some dealers lot but I'm not convinced that I'm going to take the plunge and order one. Somehow, I don't think they are as motivated right now, even though they should be.

KTP was closed for 6 weeks and reopened Feb 2. They retooled to start producing the Lincoln Navigator & Ford Expedition in additon to the Super Duty. Brought new workers in from the Louisville Assembly plant and had to go through an orientation session.

(See Louisville Courier-Journal article)

I ordered one in December, just before Christmas and picked it up March 7th after it sat in the Jessup, MD CSX freight yard for a week waiting for a local hauler. They are knocking out the private orders first (as long as every option part you ordered is on hand) in order to help out their dealer network. As stated earlier the dealers are having a hard time with their personal inventory financing so they don't want to sit on stock. They wouldn't even talk trade with me cause their lot was so full of preowned. So now we have his-n-hers Duallys..oh joy!

Attachments

• IMG_0567.JPG
    IMG_0567.JPG
    713.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0568.JPG
    IMG_0568.JPG
    581.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0574.JPG
    IMG_0574.JPG
    661.7 KB · Views: 33

JohnDar

The trade-in thing may be a dealer problem. When I picked up my truck the end of January, the dealer gave me more on my trade than the NADA online listing said it was worth. No question about taking it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
John, what I have found from the dealer I work for is. 1. We dont have any used trucks to sell. 2. The ones we do are 1500's. 3. The new 25 and 3500's are getting real thin, in fact we dont have any 3500's on the lot. 4. The price of used 25 and 3500's has gone up a little. As was said before, dealers dont want a big inventory. It cost alot of money in flooring vehicles that are not selling. Im sure there is more going on even as we speak.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
Go to a good truck dealer, not a car dealer, and have them search for the truck you want. They are out there, but most likely hy will have to look out side the citys and more in the rual areas. There are 2 Ford dealer in Kansas City that could help you, http://www.midwaytrucks.com/ , or http://www.olatheford.com/. I have bought several vehicles from Olathe Ford, and if you want a contact there send me a PM.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Landmark Chevy was the largest Chevrolet dealer in the United States and located here is Houston. They closed down (out of Business) several months back. Lawrence Marshall Chevy, Ford, Chrysler (a huge dealer) in Hempstead Texas (not far from Houston) recently closed. Both have been in business for years. News media stories attributed the closings to financial problems and inability to get any more credit. Story of our times I guess. But again it is partly my fault because I drive a 10 year old truck with 200000 + miles on it and my wifes is 8 years old with 100000 + on it.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Landmark Chevy was the largest Chevrolet dealer in the United States and located here is Houston. They closed down (out of Business) several months back.

I bought my first truck from them back in the dark ages, when they were called McMahan Chevrolet. Bud Moore, McMahan's, Frizzell's Pontiac (yeah, he was my uncle) all have, because of the economy, gone under at one time or another

JohnDar

John, what I have found from the dealer I work for is. 1. We dont have any used trucks to sell. 2. The ones we do are 1500's. 3. The new 25 and 3500's are getting real thin, in fact we dont have any 3500's on the lot. 4. The price of used 25 and 3500's has gone up a little. As was said before, dealers dont want a big inventory. It cost alot of money in flooring vehicles that are not selling. Im sure there is more going on even as we speak.

When I was still looking and trying to decide on 2500 or 3500, finding a 3500 within 100 miles of here was extremely limited. 2500 gassers were no problem but diesels got real thin. Since I wanted to order to my specs instead of just taking whatever was on the lot, it didn't really affect me until they started talking about shutting down production beyond the holiday break. But they didn't and mine got built and delivered without a problem. And with no defects, either. The trade-in was a 2002 Avalanche Z71 (loved that truck) with 90K on the odo, and was in very good condition. The dealer is a mega operation, selling GM, GMC, Hummer, and Honda, with a big used car lot next to it all. This is like the 6th vehicle we've purchased there since moving up here in '94.

wdk450

Trucks

If you can go used instead of new and are out west, try Truckworld USA in San Rafael, Ca.
http://www.truckworldusa.com/#inventory

Ira usually has a good inventory of recent year, reasonable mileage 3/4 and 1 ton trucks at good prices.

I have no interest in this business, I just bought my 2006 Dodge 3500 Diesel Dually there last month.

Bill Knight
Sacramento

Peteandsharon

Well I hit the jackpot today. I went to a Ford dealer in West Bend, Wisconsin and we spent the day looking for trucks all over the country. My mission was to get a 2008 and to keep it to a 4X2 if possible. We started looking for F350's until we exhausted that possibility. We ended up finding an F250 Lariat SD which the dealer is going to bring in and swap out the OEM leaf springs for F350 rear leaf springs. While keeping to the 2008's I was able to take advantage of $9000 worth of incentive rebates. They had to go all the way to Tennessee to get this truck but it is a perfect color match (white with pueblo gold accent) to my BH 3055. So..... if this beast gets in quickly enough to allow them to swap out the leaf springs and apply all the rustproofing and fabric protection, I'll be driving my new rig by next weekend. Get it nicely broken in for the change in weather and a summer trip. Gotta love it!! Pete

Retired CPO

Folks, keep in mind that floor planning may very well be a thing of the past for many dealers on some or most of there models as determined by there lender. This is a big problem for all the vehicle industries including the RV community's.