Fuel additive for 2007 duramax lbz?????

patrick1945

Although GM tells us not to use fuel additives for lubricity-most of the people I encounter use it. Whats up with that? I guess that I am unsure of what to do.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Well I have had my truck for 6 years now. It has around 90,000 miles and I have never used any additive. Why should I? Would not want to give GM any reason to deny any warranty issues should they come up.

My step brother says he has to use it in his Ford, I laughed but for some reason he has had gelled fuel in the past. I think it is from bad diesel.

My 2-cents

Mark

Zonian

Fuel Additive 2007 duramax

I also have an 07 duramax (I love my Silverado!:)). This is my 2nd deisel, first being an 05 Ford:p. I've never used additives and both worked/work great. Love that allison tied to the duramax. I just keep the oil changed as needed and my tank topped esp. in cooler weather.

Peteandsharon

While we are throwing 2 cents here and there, I have owned two diesels also. I had the 6.5L chevy diesel back in 94 and have owned the Powerstroke for almost 11 years now. There is certainly nothing about the Ford that requires additives any more than the Chevy. I have just done it as a matter of course with both trucks. I add 8-10 ounces of Power Service to each tank of fuel. A little more when it is extremely cold. Added lubricity and anti-gel can't be bad and I can't imagine anyone getting dinged by the manufacturer for adding Power Service to the mix.

Forrest Fetherolf

Agreed, I have 40k miles on my 06 Duramax towing 22460 lbs of Bighorn around the USA. I believe the GM engineers got it right with the Duramax/Allison combination; all the add-ons/bolt-ons, etc. will do little if anything and/or damage a very efficient setup. I researched adding programmers, intake, exhaust, and other goodies; payback will start after 35k miles on the added investment provided the mpg and performance improvement propaganda is true and something doesn't break due to heavy foot syndrome.
I average 11.2 mpg at 62 mph 1650 rpms and have never been passed climbing any grades by other goodie-loaded GMs, Fords, or Dodges.
Save the bucks to spend on proper maintenance and drive sensibly.

Forrest

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
I have an 06 GMC D/A, up until this year I swore of the additives because the dealer told me to, well at -40 the truck gelled twice, not a happy day for me, I was out looking at gassers the next day.

I called GM they said to use the additive...... On a side note, IA has very loose regulation on Diesel fuel, and they claim that is the issue, bad fuel.

From what I understand, the additive can dislodge debris, and since the Duramax fuel filters have very small holes, the filters get clogged much quicker, therefore using the additives may increase frequency of filter change.

I use the Power Services White bottle with red top. In the winter months 8oz per fill up... in the summer I will run 2-4 oz per fill up.

dewwood

First let me say that there is nothing wrong with additives, I use them every winter when the temps drop really low. I use them because the fuel mixture may not be proper for extreme cold weather not because the engine will not run on the fuel. The manufactures spec and build their engines to run on the fuel that is generally available to us at the pumps and nothing else is required. If someone wants to use additives that is entirely their choice and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that but the manufacturers do not require it for their engines to perform properly. I say this having owned numerous diesel engines over the years and all have performed well without using additives. As with all things it is a personal choice.

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
We have used Howes additives for several years in pick ups and 18 wheelers. The biggest problem with additives is the alcohol content, Howes as well as power service are alcohol free. I use howes because it works so well, even at -40 degrees. Good luck, God Bless ya, Al Weaver, Marshall, Texas

ct0218

I use Power Service in the winter in NC. We don't get much of a winter blend of diesel here, and I live at about 4000 ft elevation and it does get pretty cold. I've had gelling issues in the past, and it just won't go until you have several days of warm temps after it gells. The PS solved that problem. Other than that, no additives.

Peteandsharon

Hey Al,

No offense but I knew where you were from without even looking. When you said "even at 40 degrees" I had to laugh. Up here 40 degrees is a major thaw in winter.

I have an 02 Duramax LB7...the famous injector problem truck...and she loves to run with a little Diesel Klean (grey bottle at wally world). She doesn't like anything else. It run a lot quieter and seems to get a little better mileage.

I have read where guys add 2-stroke oil to their fuel tanks and have had great results.