Friday the 13th not a good day.

Ernie & Lettie

Went to work on the 13th and my boss said we have to go see the big boss, walked into the conferance room 4 other people were in there and the big boss said that due to the economy that we all were going to be let go. So turned in the keys and left. Monday morning got online sand filed for unemployment, also put some apps in, I can't sit, I have to be doing something. I have about 13 months to go until I can retire, ain't that a kick in the pants.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
Sorry to hear that also. Question, were you 13 months from retiring from that Company, or just retiring? If that campany let you go with 13 months left, I would be looking to see if they are trying to keep from paying your retirement.

Good luck in your job search.

Bobby A

I feel for you, I know of and heard that happening ta to many people. These companys don't care about loyalty, the only thing they are loyal to is the almighty buck, it a darn shame. I'am very sorry.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Sorry to hear that also. Question, were you 13 months from retiring from that Company, or just retiring? If that campany let you go with 13 months left, I would be looking to see if they are trying to keep from paying your retirement.

Good luck in your job search.

If he's vested in the company's retirement program, I don't think they can refuse to pay his pension when he reaches the required age.

If you have IRA's or 401k's with any money in them, and you're past age 55, you can look into taking monthly distributions from them without the added 10% penalty. Still get 20% deducted for Fed Tax, but you might be able to claim a chunk back on your tax return.

Best of luck in finding something to tide you over until then.

Ernie & Lettie

I only worked for this company for 4.5 years. But what really got me upset was that back in Jan the Boss told me that I was changing positions. Which didn't bother me but in the same conversion he said that when I decide to retire to let him know and that would always be a part time job for me or full time It was going to be up to me. I have never liked a liar or somebody that blew smoke but after getting accounts set up for him, working nite shift and making sure all the product went to the right customers and making sure everything was done and then to be treated like this well it is very dishearting. I can remember when doing good meant something, guess it is the sign of the times. No IRA, or anything else. Thanx Ernie & Lettie

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ernie, I'm really sorry to hear of your situation. Just reading your last post brings to mind some of the situations I was in. Being an ex boss/supervisor we are usually the last person to hear of a lay off just before the guy getting let go. My last job was the worst where seniority meant almost nothing. We had to list our employees talents and capabilities and the ones that were the least capable were the one that got let go. I had a lady that had 17 years in and had a bad knee so she wouldn't do standing work nor could she operate a fork lift. I had to let her go. She was a clerk. She was replaced buy a fork lift operator with computer experience. It wasn't right but I have a boss I had to listen too. I guess my point is, I as a boss, could think my folks were safe but then there's that manager above that makes the decisions. You know the old saying about stuff rolling downhill? Anyway. I hope everything works out in your best interests.Keep the faith my friend.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Sorry to hear about that job loss. It happened to my daughter after working for the same company for 11 years. I must say being let go from a job after a long period of service is precisely why I worked a Civil Service job for 28 years. My job was never in jeopardy as long as I showed up for work and didn't make trouble. Good luck in finding a new job in a timely manner. Just remember you can always sell your house and live in the RV (just joking). Good luck.

Rmcgrath53

went to church today and everybody I talked to was in jeapordy of losing there job in the next few weeks. In Michigan I think the job crisses is alot worse than in most other places.My daughter , my son-inlaw all are being affected in this crisis.I have also been out of work since last Nov. My boss told me the other day that in May I should be back. I work for a General Contractor as a job superintendent. Lots of signed contracts with no money to get started from the banks. We are in a mess!!!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It is strange how things work. There are so many jobs in the Houston are and they cannot find enough folks to fill them. Even though contractors are a dime a dozen here they still can work fast enough. With all of the damage from Hurricane Ike they haven't even begun to play catchup. Yes there have been some layoffs but that has been mainly because of business slowdowns from the Hurricane. Strange world we live in.

Ernie & Lettie

Thanx for everybody concerns. After 47 years of working,I wanted to decide when I was going to retire, not have somebody else decide. But what the heck, I am looking and putting apps in and if I get something well that would be nice. If because of my age that nothing comes around then so be it also. I am retired Air Force and we are a little better off then some people. I just wanted to keep on working till the wife could quite work or go part time then I was going to retire. Things might have been moved up a little sooner than planned but everything is good. Thanx Ernie & Lettie