Why a 5er

Ernie & Lettie

Being on this website for awhile[but couldn't post] I have noticed that about 90+ of the people who are fulltiming it have 5th wheels. Is it because they are built better, made to live in or what. I know the North Country that I bought has a blurb in the instructions that the trailer is not made to live in full time. Just wondering if I made a mistake in buying the pull behind instead of just getting a 5er from the git go. Thanx in advance Ernie & Lettie

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Ernie and Lettie, all trailers have that disclaimer. Many people live in TT's fulltime. I think the reason that most people have 5ers, is most of them are bigger that most TT's. It's all personal choice. Not to worry. Bob:D

wazz_zup

For what it's worth I'm glad I got a 5th wheel when I had to lock up the brakes at about 50mph. The 5ver tracked straight and true behind me when I nearly kissed the guy's bumper in front of me! Also, I've had a TT before and you can keep all that anti-sway bar knuckle-busting wheredowestoreitwhilewearecamping stuff.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I also think one of the things that help with a 5er is that it is easier to haul. I believe a 5er has less sway. I remember when I was hauling a large load of hay. The wind and speed was critical when hauling and it is with a 5er but not to the same extent.

A travel trailer has a lot of room and maybe more than some 5ers but I believe the ease of towing is one of the bigger point for having a 5er. Of course you have to have the correct TV as much as you do with a TT.
BC

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Fifth wheels are much easier to hook up when you travel solo. After 3,000,000 miles on my old AS, I had gotten pretty good at hitching and unhitching by myself. To me, the unhitching process on a 5ver is a bigger pain in the keister than unhooking a towable.

But, the hitching part is a snap for me. I can see the hitch and the hitch post from the drivers seat and it's clear sailing from there.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Being on this website for awhile[but couldn't post] I have noticed that about 90+ of the people who are fulltiming it have 5th wheels. Is it because they are built better, made to live in or what. I know the North Country that I bought has a blurb in the instructions that the trailer is not made to live in full time. Just wondering if I made a mistake in buying the pull behind instead of just getting a 5er from the git go. Thanx in advance Ernie & Lettie

Well we do not fulltime but it did take me (3) travel trailers before I wised up and got a fifth wheel. They are so much better to hookup and tow and they have a lot more storage space and interior space. Just a much better choice if you really like to RV.

My 2-cents

Mark

2010augusta

We full time in a 5er because its big, it has lots of storage space and it is easy to tow and hitch. I would not want to drive some of the mountain roads we have driven with a 40' tow behind.

irvin56

To each there own

Yes I agree with that.

I've been hauling a pull trailer for 30+ yrs. I like having room in back of truck for hauling our stuff. with a topper on truck I have a place to store stuff and keep it dry.
Yes I have had problems with sway in past, but now I have everything setup is is not a big deal now.

I don't full time but I plan on it in future. And I plan on this trailer to do it.
I like the lower profile and one level. and better fuel economy, Rather than pulling a house behind me. wind resistance
(nothing wrong about the 5th wheels, I love the lay outs and some features, but not for me)
In laws had a motor home, we used it twice and not again, not for me

I have a relative that has a 5th wheel, older one. They hate no storage and loss of truck bed. They have to carry some stuff in trailer and load and unload stuff every trip.
He will not pull a regular trailer. so that is there choice. they give and take for their choice.

It's what you want and fell comfortabe with.
Yes you do see a lot of 5th wheels on the Campgrounds and fulltimers
But i've also met a lot of fulltimers that do have pull trailers and are happy with their choice.
Don't second guess yourself or you will never be happy with your chioce.
ENJOY WHAT you have.

Peteandsharon

I would agree that there are benefits to both. With a travel trailer you save the space in the back of the truck but you don't have as much storage space as a typical fiver. I personally have never had any trouble pulling either one. The sway control bars work well in my opinion. I think the primary difference is that there is a practical limit to how much weight you can put on a travel trailer hitch. That limits the size of the travel trailer to a large extent. Consequently full timers who want large roomy rigs typically choose the fiver. They also have higher ceilings and two levels which give a sense of more room. But I was very happy pulling travel trailer(s) for about 20 years.

HRAI

I have pulled both and currently pull a fiver. I always heard about how much easier fivers are to pull, blah, blah, blah... I can tell you that my 26ft travel trailer was MUCH easier to pull than the fiver. It never swayed, I even pulled it up to 150 KM/hr with no problems. Wind did not bother it at all.

Don't get me wrong, fivers have their advantages, but they are not all roses. Never did my travel trailer give us any chucking in the cab, you barley knew it was there! They are easier to back into tough spots. They track much better behind the tv when turning in intersections than any fiver.

I don't mean to come down on fivers, I actually prefer fivers, but don't let yourself get fooled into thinking they are SO much better, etc... They have their disadvantages as I just described above.

Now go take on the day - not!

Guy

Peteandsharon

Guy does make a good point about backing. I could back my 30' travel trailer on a dime. I could put it in any back-in site. I'm still trying to learn the fiver. The fiver sits right on top of you and blocks a lot of your perspective going backward. You really have to be comfortable backing with your rear view mirrors. To me, it's a lot harder. Like some of the other people who have commented, I love my fiver. It is more roomy. it is more elegant. But some of the assumptions that people make about handling and tracking are just bunk in my experience.

thomasinnv

i have pulled trailers and 5ers for years. in my opinion the 5er DOES pull much better than the trailer ever did. i can get my 5er into much tighter spots then i ever dreamed of getting the bumper pull into. the bumper pulls do track closer to the tv though. if your hitch is properly setup and your weight distributed correctly in the 5er, you should have no chucking what so ever. if your chucking and bucking then your either not setup correctly or you don't have enough truck for your 5er.

HRAI

Don't get me wrong guys, I love my fiver because of the height, the size, etc... I just don't agree that they are any easier to pull that's all. I tried my dad's 1 ton dually with a 7000 lbs fiver and it chucked just as much as mine does. I am tempted to try out a Moryde pinbox at some point when the cash flow situation is right. I can only imagine that it would almost eliminate the chucking.

Guy

Shadowchek

I have pulled both animals and The fifth wheel is the best going down the road. I also like two story effect you get with the raised bedroom. I also like the basement storage in the fiver. That being said pulling through tight twisty areas in campgrounds the TT is much better in following the path of the tv. The fiver cuts off the corners too much. It starts turning when the truck does instead of waiting for it's turn after the truck like a tt does. Also in a TT you have your whole bed to haul stuff in. So it is kind of a toss up exept for the fact that it seems that it is harder to find a tt that is as nice as a Bighorn.

Greg

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
That's what I love about this forum. I just read 15 posts on which is better a tag-a-long or a 5er with 15 different opinions. Yet not one of them was cutting or ****ing or in any way derogatory. Just, "my opinion is"....Well here's one more for you...

I love my 5er. Can't wait until I get my new one. Basically it's advantages far out weight the disadvantages compared to a tag-a-long. My opinion. Of course, I also don't give up my space in the bed of the truck. I like to carry my GoldWing there. Those trips where I want to camp and ride, I take both without having to give up part of my camper living space to a garage. My neighbor is just the opposite. He doesn't want his Harley sitting in the bed of the truck, exposed to the elements and doesn't mind the garage in back. To each his own. Look at what you like and don't like, pick what is most important and then go with that rig whether it is a 5er or a tag-a-long. You'll enjoy yourself a whole lot more in the long run.

Keith

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I think everyone should buy one of each . The one that sits the most you sell , that would be my TT for sure.....Kenny

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you want a tow-along that tracks great get a pop-up. For me I will take the 5er anyday. My opnion.

Ernie & Lettie

Thanx for the input. We have a North Country 29RLS. Got it a couple of days before new years and used it for the first time in Feb. We went about 70 miles to tombstone. It pulled great and everything was very good even though we were going into the wind. We pull it with a 2002 Ford Excursion, v-10,auto, 4x4, 3:73 gears. Averaged about 8 miles per gallon. Trailer gross is 10,100lbs and the truck can tow 10,100lbs. Trailer weighs right now about 8400lbs without water. I guess that since I have this trailer that I should enjoy it to the fullest extent possible. Thanx again Ernie & Lettie