Adding a handgrip on 2009 3055 RL

patrick1945

We want to add a handgrip between kitchen and bedroom but do not know what is behind the 3/4" oak to the left of the mirrored closet doors. I have in mind a grab bar something like you might find in a shower.

Is there anything immediately behind the 3/4" oak that I might damage if I attach the bar with screws that extend 1/2" beyond the back of the oak?

DennisZ

Patrick

I just added a grab handle to my 3055 last week in the same location. There isn't anything behind that wall that will get in the way of installing the handle. I had to use 3/16 toggle bolts to hold the handle securely, as the wall material isn't strong enough to hold the load with just screws.

Dennis

patrick1945

Patrick

I just added a grab handle to my 3055 last week in the same location. There isn't anything behind that wall that will get in the way of installing the handle. I had to use 3/16 toggle bolts to hold the handle securely, as the wall material isn't strong enough to hold the load with just screws.

Dennis

What kind of grab bar did you add?

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I added two last week. Check out the handicapped area for new updates. The forum move is making it difficult to post to my area.

Last edited:

DennisZ

Patrick

I actually made one from a piece of oak that looks like a double version of the handhold next to the entry door. Sorry I don't have picture, the unit is back in storage.

Dennis

patrick1945

Clarification

Patrick

I actually made one from a piece of oak that looks like a double version of the handhold next to the entry door. Sorry I don't have picture, the unit is back in storage.

Dennis

2 questions about your double oak hand grips: 1) does double version mean looks like the one on the right side of the door but double the size? and 2) did you attach it with screws or toggle bolts?

thanks
Pat

patrick1945

Will the plant eventually reply as to what is behind that corner?

The thermostat and create-a-breeze are close by and who knows what else. It is one thing to screw to a depth of the 3/4" piece of pine but I would be hesitant to put a toggle in without knowing what is back there.

This is all assuming that the plant knows what they put back there.

tcbrady

Is there anything immediately behind the 3/4" oak that I might damage if I attach the bar with screws that extend 1/2" beyond the back of the oak?

you will fine.
thanks!

dsavoie

Grab bar

I ordered a hand grip from Heartland just like the one that you see when you enter the trailer door. I installed it between the bedroom and kitchen on the stairs and it works great and looks like it came with the trailer.

patrick1945

I ordered a hand grip from Heartland just like the one that you see when you enter the trailer door. I installed it between the bedroom and kitchen on the stairs and it works great and looks like it came with the trailer.

Did you install it facing the kitchen or is it facing the hall/step area?

What should I expect to pay and who do you contact to order?

thanks
Pat

dsavoie

I installed it on the kitchen cabinet facing on the right side of the stairway when coming out of the bedroom. Just call heartland and ask for the parts department. It's very easy to make orders and they arrive very quickly. As I recall, the cost was less than $15.