towing a 3655RD with my f-250 power stroke

truknutt

Committed Member
Can anyone tell me if they have a f-250 that will pull a 3655RD with or without problems

Not to be a smart butt... but, what is a 3655RD? I looked through all the spec sheets on Heartland's website and can't locate this model. That model number doesn't ring a bell..

santafedave

Santafedave
F250 Ford 2004 truck

Hey. I have an 04 F250 with a 4 inch lift kit and firestone airbags on my rig. I pull a cyclone 3795 with no problems. Last weekend me and my bro went to Stonyford in California. To get to our riding place we had to tranverse some pretty heavy duty mountain passes and my truck didn't have any problems towing my trailer. I have a banks exhaust system and a power programmer on her and that really helps the Diesel breath. D.

Peteandsharon

I have a '99 F250 and I pull a BH 3055. It also pulls very well. Having said that, I wouldn't recommend it. While the drive train is strong, I am technically overweight. That's why I'm in the market potentially for an F350. Payload is an overlooked factor. When you are overweight, you're an accident waiting to happen. Stopping is slower, blowouts happen etc. etc. I would recommend that payload is a more important consideration by far than your drive train.

clay1969

the truck weights 7K, the camper weighs 12K pounds with a hitch weight of 2K...the manual on my truck states no more then 23K GCWR...i've talked to a few contractors in the area that pull goose necks with bulldozders on them with the same truck and they state as long as you don't exceed the GCWR of the truck your fine...any thoughts?

BobSue

I have an 06 F-250 and I am slightly overloaded on rear axle.

I am pulling a 3055RL. I would assume from the model numbers that yours would be longer and heavier than mine. So I would guess you also would be overloaded on rear axle.

My next truck will be a 350 dually.:D

clay1969

According too ford.fleet, our trucks rear axle GAWR is 6100lbs., the front is 5200lbs. The F-350 is almost the same. You want make any lbs. improvement on the rear axle i don't think. The rear axle as is with nothing in the bed doesn't have that much weight anyhow.

jnbhobe

Here is a little information I have gathered on Fords lately. F-250 & F-350 SRW all parts other than tires and some springs are the same right down to the frame is the same part number.Could be 3:73 or 4:10 gears (4:30 on gas). F-250, F-350 SRW, and F-350 DRW all use the same brake pads and rotors (except the F-350DRW has the off sets for the duals) all have the same size brakes and rotors. That still doesent change the fact that the feds have asigned weight ratings to these trucks that limits what you can haul legally no matter how many upgrades of springs & bags and tires we do. As I said, just some informetion. JON :confused: :confused:

clay1969

Thats what I thought too. The maximum amount of trailer weight cannot exceed 15,500lbs according to Ford's website so the DOT or FED's would have to adhere to this as well. I keep a copy in my glove box just in case I see blue lights in my rear mirror.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Clay, You asked a question and you are getting various responses. I'm betting your truck weighs a little over 7K and you have to include passengers, fuel etc. I also willing to bet your trailer is much closer to 14-15K as you tow it. It has a GVRW of 16K. You are probably at or over your trucks GVRW when towing. It's not about can you tow it or not. There are many owners towing heavy. It's a chance you must be willing to take. I had a chev 2500HD with my 3400 and was overweight. We full time so our trailer is at max. I moved up to the 3500 simply because I felt it was a necessary thing to do. I did notice the difference in stability. We aren't the weight police nut be prepared to get answers to your questions that fall on both sides of the fence.

clay1969

Yeah...tell me about it. The bottle is sometimes half empty or half full it seems on this forum. We camp maybe once a month mainly about 15 miles from our house so the good news is we're not fulltimers by no means. Anything you tow behind your truck is heavy and takes various tolls on your truck. Your response makes common sense.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Air Bags

We have an 05 F-250 with factory overload springs. Will the Firestone air bags fit with this configuration? Any Ideas?