Drop in liner---5er hitch on top?

aatauses

I recently purchased a used chev 3500 and it had a drop in liner (corregated ridges) and the hitch plates are on top of the liner. They are bolted clean through the bed, but several owners said I should throw away the drop in and get a spray liner---claiming it will be safer than the hitch bolted on top on the drop in-----any information/experience is appreciated.--thanks

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
For sure I would not bolt through a drop in liner. Thats an opinion, not from personal experience. There are mixed views on hitch rails being used on top of spray in liners. I have my rails sprayed after the install. some have the rails on top of the spray in. I guess it will work just fine either way. But again, I would not suggest mounting rails on top of a drop in liner. Again, an opinion.

Zonian

I agree. It's not safe to put the rails on top of a drop in. In fact the shop where I had mine installed refused to put them on top. After the install I cut out two strips to expose the rails.......I didn't want to spend the $$ on a spray in linder after just purchasing the truck w/a drop in.

Jburks

I had a drop in liner and the shop that installed my rails cut the liner out around them so that they made good contact with the bed, it was more solid, the only problem was when I would pull the pins to remove the hitch it was a little tight but a small price to pay to be safer.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Cut the liner if it is a drop in. Most hitch mfg's tell you not to install on a drop in liner. Place the rails on the liner using the measurements supplied from the hitch mfg. Mark the liner with permanent marker and cut with a recip saw. Good luck on your choice.
Bill

Clark

I was concerned about water getting under the drop in liner and getting moldy/smelly and rusting the bed around the bolt holes and the bolts themselves. With that reasoning, I have had a spray in lining on my last two truck (1996 F250 and 2006 Chevy 2500). I've never had any problems with the spray in at all.
Clark

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have a Rhino spray in liner on my truck. 10 years and it still looks great without any cracking or peeling. I don't like the drop in liners because of the rusting under the liner if water gets there.

HRAI

It doesn't realy matter.

I recently purchased a used chev 3500 and it had a drop in liner (corregated ridges) and the hitch plates are on top of the liner. They are bolted clean through the bed, but several owners said I should throw away the drop in and get a spray liner---claiming it will be safer than the hitch bolted on top on the drop in-----any information/experience is appreciated.--thanks

aatauses,

My father has a truck that's been pulling for 3 years with the rails over top the drop in liner - no problems.
I have my rails sitting over top a pray in liner - no problems.

Guy

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
This is from Reese Hitch tech questions.

Can I install over a bed liner?
shim.gif

Do not install mounting rails over plastic bed liners. Plastic bed liners must be cut out of the way. Base rails may be installed on spray in liner. Note: Consult installer for recommended curing time.
shim.gif

http://www.reeseprod.com/

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Rails on top of a drop in liner is a big NO NO!!!

What I do is yank the liner and store it until I trade it in. When I trade the truck in I drop the liner back in...... No more holes to give the stealership another excuse to rob you any more than they already are.;)

RnRCycloner

I have a drop in ribbed liner, when the dealer installed my Husky 20K hitch they cut the liner around the hitch mounting rails. I'm OK with that, if or when I take the hitch out the rails are somewhat flush with the liner.

beardedone

Beardedone
In some jurisdictions (BC) they will take you off the road if that is observed. Also consider insurance repercussions if something breaks and there is an incident.

Happy Campers

I had a truck that had a drop-in ribbed bed liner.When they installed my hitch they cut rebar 4" long and put them in the ribs of the liner where they were under the rails.I never had any problem with them but when i got a new truck i had a spray-in liner.One thing i didn't like about the drop-in was it was slick and anything in the bed slid all over.

trvlrerik

I am using a B/K popup ball with a B/K companion hitch. I removed the liner and got a rubber mat for a horse trailer and cut out for the hitch area. I can remove everything for a clean bed if I need it, and it works ok for me.